kanundrum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Giulia QV, R1S (S00N)
Occupation
IT
Clubs

https://www.wglt.org/local-news/202...port-about-rivian-battery-joint-venture-talks

“Samsung SDI (has) not specifically discussed battery JV (joint venture) with Rivian,” said Samsung SDI spokesperson Yangmo Ku. “And it is hard to fact-check the article, but some information is not true.”

Joint ventures are becoming increasingly common between automakers and battery suppliers, as the auto industry tries to scale up EV production. There are at least 13 EV battery plants announced across the U.S., according to the U.S. Department of Energy. Of those 13, eight are joint ventures between automakers and battery manufacturers.

One of those 13 plants is the Samsung SDI and Stellantis joint venture announced in October. A location for that plant, which will make battery cells and modules, has not yet been announced.

Rivian founder and CEO RJ Scaringe confirmed during a quarterly earnings call in December that his company is pursuing joint venture-type relationships with battery makers, although he did not disclose with whom. Rivian is pursuing three “parallel approaches” to batteries that are not mutually exclusive, Scaringe said. They are:

Path 1: Buying existing cells from a supplier, from existing capacity. That’s what Rivian initially did with Samsung SDI to get its cells for its launch vehicles (now in production). Rivian cited Samsung SDI’s focus on “responsible sourcing of battery materials” and the reliability of its cells. “We don’t see a lot more deals like that across the industry. As demand for cells starts to climb, we need to be building new capacity,” Scaringe said.

Path 2: Creating “co-investing capacity with cell suppliers,” or joint ventures. That would mean Rivian and a battery maker share the cost of building new battery-manufacturing capacity, possibly nearby to a Rivian vehicle plant. Rivian will be pursuing this, Scaringe said, but it hasn’t “announced those relationships yet.” So even if Rivian doesn’t pair up with Samsung for a Normal battery site, that doesn’t mean Rivian may not find another dance partner – or another path – to local production.

Path 3: Leaning even more into vertical integration, Rivian will make the cells itself – controlling its design and even sourcing of the raw materials that go inside. Rivian plans to pilot this work starting in late 2022, Scaringe said. “Vertical integration doesn’t mean the first two categories (see above) don’t remain super-important. It’s simply in response to our intended growth,” he said.

Rivian announced in mid-December it would be building a $5 billion, second manufacturing plant in Georgia. It will have more employees and capacity than its first facility in Normal.

At that time, Rivian said the plant would eventually have “co-located cell production,” meaning on-site battery cell production in partnership with another company. But just because Rivian is doing “co-located cell production” in Georgia, that doesn’t mean it won’t do the same in Normal.

More details could come in March at Rivian’s next quarterly financial update. Rivian does not typically reveal much new information outside of those updates, including declining to comment for this story.
Sponsored

ironpig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T LE, 2015 4Runner, 1975 FJ55 Land Cruiser
The Joint Venture factory in Illinois was always something publicly pitched by politicians like Dick Durbin. There's never been any legitimate reporting that I've found that confirmed that there were legit talks between Rivian and Samsung to build it.

E.S.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Bolt
Occupation
Retired
I keep reading into articles like this and can't help wonder if people are taking these news and blowing it completely out of proportion, or is it just me? I remember first hearing about how this and other news (like Ford's investment) literally reading how many people LOST their shit, making Youtube videos about "Samsung dropped Rivian, Rivian is doomed, DOOOOMED!" and other outrageous nonsense. Some fool put up that Ford is dropping RIVN with the $8.2 billion investment announcement. I even addressed that Youtuber and he responded with a link stating they directly claimed they were (no where in the article did it state Ford was dropping RIVN, just the $8.2B investment). I called him out on blowing things out of context and even linked the Bloomberg article where Ford clearly stated they weren't selling RIVN. Got silence and my comments deleted.

Craigins

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Software engineer
Clubs

I keep reading into articles like this and can't help wonder if people are taking these news and blowing it completely out of proportion, or is it just me? I remember first hearing about how this and other news (like Ford's investment) literally reading how many people LOST their shit, making Youtube videos about "Samsung dropped Rivian, Rivian is doomed, DOOOOMED!" and other outrageous nonsense. Some fool put up that Ford is dropping RIVN with the $8.2 billion investment announcement. I even addressed that Youtuber and he responded with a link stating they directly claimed they were (no where in the article did it state Ford was dropping RIVN, just the $8.2B investment). I called him out on blowing things out of context and even linked the Bloomberg article where Ford clearly stated they weren't selling RIVN. Got silence and my comments deleted.
All about the clicks nowadays. Reading comprehension is now a rare skill.

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
Unfortunately with the nature of people these days negative and controversial topics trend way hotter than good news. Any blogger or online source lead with that and lean even more negative in order to generate the traffic.

It is very frustrating when you are trying to find any real information. If only there was some sort of penalty for spewing false or unverified information….

Sponsored

E.S.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Bolt
Occupation
Retired
It is very frustrating when you are trying to find any real information. If only there was some sort of penalty for spewing false or unverified information...
Sadly, there isn't. In fact, Youtube further supports them by obscuring dislikes and promoting use of deleting comments that point out facts when it is opposed to the original poster's topic.

There is some asshat that keeps putting up videos of Rivian failing a crash test all while it CLEARLY shows a Nissan Titan doing the crash. As many times as this schmuck has been reported, his videos keep coming up. Yet, dislike his vids or state anything contrary lands with your comments getting deleted and ignored.

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
Sadly, there isn't. In fact, Youtube further supports them by obscuring dislikes and promoting use of deleting comments that point out facts when it is opposed to the original poster's topic.

There is some asshat that keeps putting up videos of Rivian failing a crash test all while it CLEARLY shows a Nissan Titan doing the crash. As many times as this schmuck has been reported, his videos keep coming up. Yet, dislike his vids or state anything contrary lands with your comments getting deleted and ignored.
Ooo have you found Youtube's Peashooter who comments false information on *every* recent video I've watched about a Rivian? It's a really bizarre obsession for someone to have.

E.S.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Bolt
Occupation
Retired
Ooo have you found Youtube's Peashooter who comments false information on *every* recent video I've watched about a Rivian? It's a really bizarre obsession for someone to have.

Don't know who Peashooter is. But I do recognize the YT vids of the guy I mentioned above. He always titles the YT vids the same way, starts off showing a Lamborghini, plays some cheesy music in the background, and always shows the clip of the Nissan Titan crashing (while editing a "2024 Rivian" banner around the vehicle's side door). Irritates the living crap out of me.

GaryL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Silverado 3500
Occupation
Farm
This week, WGLT asked Samsung SDI for a comment on the accuracy of TheElec’s report.

“Samsung SDI (has) not specifically discussed battery JV (joint venture) with Rivian,” said Samsung SDI spokesperson Yangmo Ku. “And it is hard to fact-check the article, but some information is not true.”

This quote confirms there is no joint battery venture being discussed between Rivian - SDI which basically was the net net of The Elce article. The un-true part may be how they got there but the results are the same, No captive battery capacity for the foreseeable future. For me that is troubling.

virgnia_rivian

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Mazda Miata
"More details could come in March at Rivian’s next quarterly financial update. Rivian does not typically reveal much new information outside of those updates, including declining to comment for this story."

I just like this line since this will only be RVIN's second quarterly earnings call since IPO. This is quite possibly the dumbest thing the writer could have said in this article.

Reactions: Guy

Sponsored

Spiffster

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3 (Sold), Ford Fusion Energi
Interesting how articles (fabrications) like this tend to pop up after a company goes public, isnt it?

AdamsFan1983

First Name
Silence Dogood
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE in GW
Occupation
Public Relations
Don't know who Peashooter is. But I do recognize the YT vids of the guy I mentioned above. He always titles the YT vids the same way, starts off showing a Lamborghini, plays some cheesy music in the background, and always shows the clip of the Nissan Titan crashing (while editing a "2024 Rivian" banner around the vehicle's side door). Irritates the living crap out of me.
Peashooter is an internet troll who's been blocked by 95% of the people on this forum

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
Now known as ridealong? Or did that one used to be tesla100? Hard to recall

godfodder0901

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Honda Civic EX, 2022 Rivian R1T LE