Samsung SDI pushes back on report about Rivian battery joint venture talks

GaryL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Silverado 3500
Occupation
Farm
Nothing. He's referring to the original article.
So let's go back and look at the original "theelec" article in light of the new SDI statement.

"Executives of Rivian had previously met with various South Korean battery equipment makers to discuss building its own battery factory. Rivian is aiming to build a battery production capacity of 100GWh by 2025."

That statements has merit per the announcement of the proposed George location.

"A spokesperson for Samsung SDI said there had been no specific discussions with Rivian related to a battery joint venture."

Samsung statement was consistent.

"This is why Samsung SDI instead announced a partnership with Stellantis, they added".

This was just a guess and probably not connected as the best I can tell it is for 20GWh and not sure it was even in North America.

Which brings us to speculation whether there were "talks" at all. I can tell you Illinois politicians including a U.S. Senator made a huge deal last summer about this and the state passed a large incentive program for EV/ Battery manufacturing in Illinois. If Rivian management was not in at least some informal discussions with SDI over a JV they are incompetent at worse or naive at best. I don't see any of the major EV players Tesla Ford GM who aren't trying to have some portion of there battery need coming from a JV or in-house.
Whether the talks were formal or not is irrelevant at this point. The bottom line is no JV with SDI so where does that leave us, hopefully a battery supply agreement with a reliable partner who will not supply constrain Rivian as they ramp up at Normal to at least 50% of plant capacity and a missed opportunity by Rivian management that will be the focus of the next earning call
Sponsored