First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna, 2001 Yamaha Vino, 2022 Rivian R1T
Occupation
Riviot
One of the more intriguing options for the R1T is the roof.

What roof options can I expect?

We will offer multiple roof styles including electrochromic glass (which turns from opaque to transparent on demand), a fixed glass panel, a two-piece removable composite roof and a standard fixed roof.

What are people thinking? I am a child of the 80s and I love a T-Top. Especially in an adventure vehicle ala Jeep Wrangler. I have concerns though.

• No matter how well designed it is still a bit of an ordeal to put on or take off a hardtop removable roof. So it is not going to be an option I use constantly especially with the WI climate. Even in my brand new garage you would get a fair amount of dust and grime which would bother me.
  • Will it be similar to the Wrangler 4 door where front and back passenger both have the roof removed? I think I would prefer this but it comes down to aesthetics. Honestly the Jeep looks best with the roof off and the doors removed. I don't see this as practical for the R1T.
  • Maybe more of a Smokey and the bandit screaming chicken?
  • What is insulation, both sound and temperature, like for all the options?
  • I have sunroofs in all of my vehicles now and I rarely use them. I don't see a glass roof as being any better but again how much am I willing to pay for that? Off roading in the sun do I really want that bright sun bombarding me from above? The T-Top would have similar problems but that widen open air feeling has appeal to me.

As I consider this it really comes down to price, the roof options fall square in the nice to have category. I am hoping that the removable option is appropriately priced and aesthetically "cool". The new bronco looks pretty cool in the open air config but I am a middle aged dad, what do I know about cool?

What do you think?
Sponsored

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)
Summer heat is my biggest concern down here in TX. I really like the idea of the electrochromic glass, but might opt for the standard fixed roof.

If it's a really cool design, the removable roof might sway me though. No way I would consider the regular fixed glass.

I'm also wondering if there will be a retractable shade for the glass roof options.

Jehorton

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Model Y Performance
Occupation
Firefighter/Paramedic
Summer heat is my biggest concern down here in TX. I really like the idea of the electrochromic glass, but might opt for the standard fixed roof.

If it's a really cool design, the removable roof might sway me though. No way I would consider the regular fixed glass.
I’m kind of in the same predicament here in FL. But the thought of having the electrochromic roof is so intriguing for those rides around sunset/sunrise. I’m really hoping they do a great job with how dark you can turn the glass.

OP
OP
JeremyMKE

JeremyMKE

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Riviot

St Bernard

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R2 2026, Prius
Thoughts on cost of Electrochromic Roof $7500 ??

Sponsored

OP
OP
JeremyMKE

JeremyMKE

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Riviot

Jehorton

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Model Y Performance
Occupation
Firefighter/Paramedic
I may be wrong but I thought they said it would be a free option for the 135w and up

monzarottie

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, MB Sprinter 4x4, R2 Reservation
Occupation
Retired

cohall

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T
RJ told Reuters that a 135kWh R1T with the elctrochromatic roof would price out at $69K. So unless the new base price is $61,500, I think the option won't be as high as you've suggested. But honestly, I would love a $61.5k starting price, as I'm unlikely to pay $7k+ for the fancy roof.

Rivian founder and chief executive R.J. Scaringe told Reuters the mid-range R1T pickup truck with a glass sky panel that can change from blue to clear was about $69,000

U100

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Fixed (regular) roof for me. It’s hot enough during summer in Oklahoma that I don’t want or need another source of heat and light in my vehicle, especially right on my balding head. And if I ever want to admire the sunset or stars I’ll stop in a parking lot and get out to get the full view - I tend to look straight ahead while I’m driving.

Sponsored

Jehorton

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Model Y Performance
Occupation
Firefighter/Paramedic
Fixed (regular) roof for me. It’s hot enough during summer in Oklahoma that I don’t want or need another source of heat and light in my vehicle, especially right on my balding head. And if I ever want to admire the sunset or stars I’ll stop in a parking lot and get out to get the full view - I tend to look straight ahead while I’m driving.
I don’t look at the road at all

Shzeph

First Name
Zak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T, 2004 V70R, 2001 VehiCROSS, 2005 Forester
Occupation
Student
I’m likely gonna go with the electrochromic roof. Living (near) Seattle, it rarely gets hot enough for long enough to put me off an all glass roof.

Plus, a magical opaqueness altering roof is one hell of a party trick!

Moonjock

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 Chevrolet Avalanche
Occupation
Lab Tech
I'm in Alaska so I'm leaning towards the electrochromic roof. It rains too much where I live to consider a removable roof option.

timf

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Clubs

I'm skeptical they'll actually offer as many roof options as they claim, since that adds significant production complexity. There will likely just be the fixed metal and electrochromic glass options.

OP
OP
JeremyMKE

JeremyMKE

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Riviot
I'm skeptical they'll actually offer as many roof options as they claim, since that adds significant production complexity. There will likely just be the fixed metal and electrochromic glass options.
This would not surprise me, in fact I was shocked to see it in the FAQs.

I didnt mention it before, the other thing that scares me is the complexity of a removable roof. Seals, noise, etc... Its the first vehicle from a new manufacturer, KISS.
Sponsored