Sponsored

Roof Options - What is your preference?

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
From all of my searching this is not possible without use of electrical current. I hope I'm wrong but I believe this is false information. Yes transitional eye glasses can do this but they are a very small piece of glass. Why does Rivian let this debate go so long???
Not false. It can be applied at office building scale so there is no problem using this on a truck roof.

Google: "photochromic glass for office building"
Sponsored

drhnbtx

First Name
Darren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
"22 R1T '07 FJ Cruiser, '13 Chevy 2500, '18 XC90
Interesting. So I wonder, will the panoramic glass be the ONLY roof option initially? Or will the electrochromic be offered as a higher cost option?
When I chatted with Sara yesterday, she stated that the panoramic roof will be the only roof available at launce

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)
I was just doing some glass research, and I actually hope it is Thermochromic versus photochromic.

It would still darken automatically, but in relation to heat instead of just light. That would allow the glass to optimize when to allow light & heat in; i.e. to let the sun to warm the cabin on a cold day.

It's an internal layer that can work with different glass layering configuations to optimize characteristics for different use cases.

https://www.energy.gov/eere/amo/suntuitive-sunlight-responsive-thermochromic-window-systems

Last edited:

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
I was just doing some glass research, and I actually hope it is Thermochromic versus photochromic.

It would still darken automatically, but in relation to heat instead of just light. That would allow the glass to optimize when to allow light & heat in; i.e. to let the sun to warm the cabin on a cold day.

It's an internal layer that can work with different glass layering configuations to optimize characteristics for different use cases.

https://www.energy.gov/eere/amo/suntuitive-sunlight-responsive-thermochromic-window-systems
But perhaps not be as effective at reducing glare in the winter?

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
But perhaps not be as effective at reducing glare in the winter?
You can use other coating(s) to reduce glare. I think most windshield glare is due to the light that comes through the windshield itself, and most states limit your coating options there.

Here in TX, it is legal to use a clear tint to reduce heat & glare, but not light transmission though; although light reduction "eyebrow" tinting is allowed at the top of the windshield.

Last edited:

Sponsored

ElectricTrucking

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche 911, Chevy Bolt
Just what Porsche did with the Taycan. Suppliers must be pushing product.

photontorque

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Old Reliable
@electruck - thanks for the feedback, and for the link to the neato glass. If this is, in fact, the glass used by Rivian, then it even seems to have an insulating layer of gas like double-paned windows in a house. Good fodder for a question to Rivian! Will have to wait until Monday to ask.

When I chatted with Sara yesterday, she stated that the panoramic roof will be the only roof available at launce
Well, there it is. Glass roof, or wait. Thanks for the tip.

MReda

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi S4, Lexus LX470
A recent change to the website says the same thing:

"At launch, both the R1T and the R1S will be available with our all-glass panoramic roof. An open-air removable roof option will be offered mid-2022."

That indicates to me that these are the only two options we should count on.

NEIL JURMAN

First Name
NeilGoigle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Toyota Avalon Hybrid Limited, 2014 Toyota Avalon Hybrid Touring, 2005 Chevrolet Suburban Z71, 2003 Honda Accord Coupe
Occupation
Business Owner: Airport Transportation Service of Inverness Florida
I want to be able to exchange the roof after purchase. I asker this was my answer:
Hi Neil,

Thanks so much for reaching out to Rivian Customer Service again. We're happy to hear from you! Great question about the standard roof in the Launch Edition and I'm happy to help clarify this for you.

Take in the beauty of the world day and night with our all-glass panoramic roof, which is standard on all vehicles at this time, including the Launch Edition. The tinting has been carefully optimized to deliver high transparency while keeping UV out. Though the roof is made of glass, it's engineered to mitigate light/UV penetration.

* The panoramic glass roof is tinted and allows less than 2% of total light to pass through letting just the right amount of light in the vehicle.
* The panoramic glass roof blocks 99.96% of UV rays to help keep you and your passengers sunburn-free.
* The glass has an SPF equivalent to SPF 96,173 - you read that right!

An open-air removable roof option will be offered in mid-2022.

I hope these additional details help a bit, but please feel free to reach out if you have any additional questions. Thanks so much for being part of the Rivian community, Neil. Have a great day!

Surferdude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla
* The panoramic glass roof is tinted and allows less than 2% of total light to pass through letting just the right amount of light in the vehicle.
I much prefer a metal roof but if it only allows 2% of light through the glass, I can live with that. However, 2% light transmission also means you cannot see anything out of it at night. So if you were planning on star gazing through the fixed roof, it isn't going to happen.

Sponsored

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I much prefer a metal roof but if it only allows 2% of light through the glass, I can live with that. However, 2% light transmission also means you cannot see anything out of it at night. So if you were planning on star gazing through the fixed roof, it isn't going to happen.
TBD, there has been mixed information about whether the pano glass will tint automatically (photochromic like transitions glasses). Like so many other things, we'll just have to wait for official details.

Gshenderson

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Tesla S 85D, 2019 4Runner TRD Offroad, R1T
TBD, there has been mixed information about whether the pano glass will tint automatically (photochromic like transitions glasses). Like so many other things, we'll just have to wait for official details.
They’ve announced there will be no photochromatic glass. At least not at this time. I’m assuming it will have some level of constant tint, but pretty sure it won’t be anywhere close to 98%. Hopefully Rivian will either offer a sunshade or at least some anchor points so third parties can make a sunshade that easily attached.

Shzeph

First Name
Zak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T, 2004 V70R, 2001 VehiCROSS, 2005 Forester
Occupation
Student
Huh. I know they said that the electrochromic had been canned. Did they really cancel the photochromic too?
Sponsored