First look at Rivian Electrochromic Roof in action

SpinDoc7

An employee at the event mentioned that the electrochromic roof option can be controlled through the Rivian App, so that's pretty neat. I'm excited to see what all features are controllable through the app.

Hmp10

Drat. I was hoping the glass would completely darken. In south Florida, this glass panel will increase the greenhouse effect too much even with the glass darkened.

jimcgov3

Drat. I was hoping the glass would completely darken. In south Florida, this glass panel will increase the greenhouse effect too much even with the glass darkened.
Do we know for sure if that was in fact the darkest setting? He doesn't specifically state what setting it was at, just that the transition from light to dark is slower than dark to light...

Joel

I wonder if they will use a light sensor so it can be automatic. We do that for our residential and commercial lighting and shading projects.

jimcgov3

Scrolling through more pics today, I came across a picture that most of us have seen but probably get tunnel-vision'd in on the tent with the couple, mentally putting you and your loved one in their shoes, by the fire near the beach, with the wind in your hair, the smell of salty sea air, the warmth of the fire, talking with them about all the adventures you both will and can do with your new Rivian...

................................................................................................................................Wake Up! .........................................................................................................................................

to realize the fact you can clearly see that the glass roof is completely opaque. You can see the 15" infotainment screen through the windshield so it should be light enough for you to see into the cabin through the moonroof. I know that tint looks lighter from the inside of a vehicle if there is enough light entering the cabin whether it be from an open door or open window. So maybe once they closed the doors at the event in Seattle, we may have seen a more opaque roof. I would like to believe that the electrochromic roof would just get that dark. What do you all think?
Electrochromic Glass.jpg

Last edited:

skyote

I don't think you can draw any conclusions from this picture. It appears to be dusk, so there would be little light inside the cabin.

I do hope that the electrochromatic roof gets really dark, and does a great job keeping out the heat.