Sponsored

Ingo B

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Word Slinger
We just returned from a 4-night haul up the NorCal coast to Redwood National Parks via Mendocino. I am first to admit that this 460-ish mile trip is tame (or lame, depending on your outlook) by comparison, but we had fun, and more importantly, hit the goal of learning about EV trips in general. Reading about it only gets me so far. At some point, I have to just do it.

In retrospect, I overkilled the planning but with all the horror stories floating around about dead charge stations and such, I was compelled to have Plan B's, C's, and even D's in place. All said and done, turns out even my Plan A was overkill. All the RAN's worked perfectly (no surprise), and i never had to touch up at any of the Level 2's on my list. Few observations:

Bay Area > Mendocino:

1. I charged to 100% at home and made it to the Ukiah RAN with plenty left. Plugged in and let the magic happen. The route through Ukiah added about 20 minutes to the commute. While there were some EAs and EVGo's along the more direct route (HWY 1), the RAN reliability (and free) factor justified the detour. The area itself is... interesting. There's a McD's next to the charger area, a new-ish Chipote's across the street, with a strip mall next door. Aside from Lucky's, the businesses were all of the local variety (no big box stores). Some homeless presence but they left us alone. Was only planning to charge to 80% but we got caught up grocery shopping at the nearby Lucky's. Left there at 91%.

Rivian R1T R1S Road trip up NorCal coast to Redwood National Parks Ukiah

2. Ukiah to Mendocino was uneventful. Saw a few Rivians on the road, including a very friendly yellow R1T who excitedly waved as we passed each other on the freeway. If that was you, hi again! Our hotel had a porch with great views, good restaurant, and most importantly, multiple EV chargers (L2), two of which are Tesla Destinations. This is probably preaching to the choir, but if you don't already have one of those Lectron adapters, order one stat! Tesla chargers are everywhere, and given the basic nature of EV charging infrastructure, it behooves us to have as many options as possible. That thing is so worth the investment.

Rivian R1T R1S Road trip up NorCal coast to Redwood National Parks LR Inn

3. We visited a variety of beaches and parks in the area. Impressively, all of the beaches and parks we went to (Van Damme - not a typo, McKerricher, Point Cabrillo Lighthouse) had EV chargers in their parking lots. I forgot to take pics or note the make/model (didn't have to use them), but they appear free. My tax dollars at work! Thanks to the Rivian nav, we even stumbled onto a Rivian Waypoint charger by some admin buildings across the highway from Russian Gulch. The garage on which it's installed held maintenance gear. Seemed an odd place to stick it, but good to know it's there. I guess this was their only option since Russian Gulch already has a charging station.

Rivian R1T R1S Road trip up NorCal coast to Redwood National Parks RussianGulch

4.. We planned a hike within McKerricher Park since it has two Rivian Waypoint chargers by the front gate. I probably didn't need it, but I wanted the photo op for you good people (and a bit more juice couldn't hurt), so plugged in anyway. Got about 24 miles/hr during our hikes. Note the red ICE in the neighboring Waypoint spot. She moved it when she saw me pull in, though. I think she works at the park. Props to her for being aware enough to do that.

Rivian R1T R1S Road trip up NorCal coast to Redwood National Parks RivianWayPoint

Mendocino > Redwood National Parks

5. After two nights, we headed further north to Redwood National Parks, stopping at the Fortuna RAN. Again, flawless. Like Ukiah, the chargers are in a strip mall, but here, its anchor store is a Safeway. There was a Dollar Tree as well, but the remaining stores are local. We picked a few (ok, a lot of) things up at Safeway which again, allowed me to overshoot my SOC goal of 80 to about 92%. There's a strong business model here - EV charging requires more time, so businesses will have a captive audience. Am very interested to see how EV stations evolve. We were joking that if Rivian charge stations had the Japanese train station model (whole malls of shops and restaurants sharing the building with the station), they'd rake in billions. There's money to be made here, capitalists!

Rivian R1T R1S Road trip up NorCal coast to Redwood National Parks fortuna

6. After a stop at the Sequoia Park Zoo (Redwood Sky Walk feature is a must-see), we made it to our hotel in Orick. No EV chargers on site, but the park Operations Center next door (in its parking lot, of all places) has a Shell Recharge - two fast, one L2. It was here that I broke my streak and had to spend actual money to charge, $9.75 to be exact. With absolutely nothing going on over there (more on that below), it was easier to monitor and hit my goal of 80%.

Rivian R1T R1S Road trip up NorCal coast to Redwood National Parks shell

7. Orick is pretty dead. It almost felt abandoned. Here's a shot of where we stayed. Pretty sure that asphalt is original circa 1950. The combination of all this really made it feel like I was in a Tarantino movie. Inside is totally remodeled from 2022, though. Once I got past the creepy factor, I actually dug the spot, although part of me was bracing for a visit from a guy in a ponytail paired with a dude boasting Jheri Curl, a commanding voice, and a penchant for quoting Old Testament verses.

Rivian R1T R1S Road trip up NorCal coast to Redwood National Parks roosevelt

8. The next day, we drove into Redwood National Parks to visit the Fern Canyon. On top of an online reservation, the Canyon requires a $12 fee and features a 45 minute dirt road drive to the trailhead. Said road also has two stream crossings. With all the rain and snow CA got this past winter, I was expecting an obstacle-ridden dirt path leading to a rushing body of water howling with violent treachery, full of bone trophies and tears from past, failed crossings. My R1T and I were ready to flip death off in its face while laughing maniacally, all the while nodding to the rhythm guitar of "The Immigrant Song" cranked to 11.

Instead, we got about 4" of gently flowing water that the 2010 Honda Civic behind us cleared with ease. But me being me, I still put her in Off Road, cranked the bass, and rolled through as-if. Be adventurous, my friends.

Rivian R1T R1S Road trip up NorCal coast to Redwood National Parks stream

RW Parks > Home

9. Over the next two days, we visited a variety of other trails and beaches, then returned home in the opposite order, leading off with another $9-ish at the Shell Recharge, followed by Fortuna, then Ukiah RANs. All said and done, I spent just under $20 in transport costs.

Random thoughts:

- Still can't figure out how the Reduced Regen thing works. It sometimes kicks on at higher SOC (like 80+, which I understand), but it also does so at lower amounts, like 59%. That was weird.

- Although I saw a few on the freeways, I did not see any Rivians at any of the parks or beaches. That struck me as odd.

- Along those lines, I fielded a few questions/comments about the truck. Lots of folks like the color, and one guy was enamoured with the gear tunnel door-as-a-seat. If I think about it, it really is the feature you never knew you needed until you actually have it.

- I love knowing that I have the capability to torch 95% of the other vehicles on the road. Its torque is really handy for on ramps and passing lines. That said, I chose to be greatly responsible with my great power, and hovered between 55-80mph depending on where I was.

- While still tiring, I was not nearly as worn out from the drive as I used to be in my old Ridgeline. This speaks volumes to the Rivian build since I usually really hate driving.

- We detoured into the Avenue Of The Giants scenic drive (Hwy 254) which is a lot of fun if you like driving among really tall redwoods. Since traffic was light, we were able to cruise at 25-30 mph in some areas and roll down the windows. Since there's no engine noise, it was a neat experience to hear sounds of nature from a moving vehicle.

- I realize this is long, but I'm hoping this helps anyone new to EV road trips. This forum was extremely helpful to me when I was still shopping/waiting, so its my wayof paying forward.
Sponsored

zeezz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Great write up - and great pics! Thanks for the insights on the RAN. Will probably do a similar jaunt up to Mendocino from the east bay soon.

k3g

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Robotics
That's one of my favorite areas to go exploring. Near the trailhead of Fern Canyon is a great little campground, Gold Bluff beach:
Rivian R1T R1S Road trip up NorCal coast to Redwood National Parks 0B6B6DDC-1F69-4C92-B710-9F452DF196BA_1_105_c

In the morning in spring time, you can often see herds of Roosevelt Elk meandering through camp.

Chewy734

First Name
Ashu
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW, Ford, Rivian
Clubs

Loved reading about your adventures! Thanks for sharing those pics too. It looks like you had a lot of fun; I hope to make it there sometime as well.

C12farmer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ICE vehicles
Did you use Driver+ on any parts of 101? Done that trip up 101 several times and there is almost no section of the freeway that is truly strait. You pretty much always need to be paying attention and adjusting steering and throttle the whole time. It can get pretty exhausting after a few hours.

Sponsored

VSG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE/RB/OC/20
Thanks for the trip report. Spinning Zeppelin III right now and playing along ... have to keep the volume down on my half-stack to keep from waking the wife ...

OP
OP

Ingo B

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Word Slinger
Did you use Driver+ on any parts of 101? Done that trip up 101 several times and there is almost no section of the freeway that is truly strait. You pretty much always need to be paying attention and adjusting steering and throttle the whole time. It can get pretty exhausting after a few hours.
No, I totally forgot to try, but you're right. Roads curve a lot, gently or otherwise, so you'd be better off trying it out on somewhere like I5 or sections of 80. Personally, not a fan of auto-drive functionality. Call me old school, but I prefer to stay in control.

mikehmb

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
eGolf, i3, R1T
Edit: awesome pics and amazing trip, thanks for sharing!

There are good sections of 101 that are mapped. Last time I was up there, I used it (sparingly) but was surprised that it was so effective in as many spots as it was.

Surprised you didn’t spring for the $10 tourist trap and get a picture of your truck In the Tree … so here you go. :)
Rivian R1T R1S Road trip up NorCal coast to Redwood National Parks IMG_5440

Greg Chick

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Retired Plumbing Contractor
Clubs

We just returned from a 4-night haul up the NorCal coast to Redwood National Parks via Mendocino. I am first to admit that this 460-ish mile trip is tame (or lame, depending on your outlook) by comparison, but we had fun, and more importantly, hit the goal of learning about EV trips in general. Reading about it only gets me so far. At some point, I have to just do it.

In retrospect, I overkilled the planning but with all the horror stories floating around about dead charge stations and such, I was compelled to have Plan B's, C's, and even D's in place. All said and done, turns out even my Plan A was overkill. All the RAN's worked perfectly (no surprise), and i never had to touch up at any of the Level 2's on my list. Few observations:

Bay Area > Mendocino:

1. I charged to 100% at home and made it to the Ukiah RAN with plenty left. Plugged in and let the magic happen. The route through Ukiah added about 20 minutes to the commute. While there were some EAs and EVGo's along the more direct route (HWY 1), the RAN reliability (and free) factor justified the detour. The area itself is... interesting. There's a McD's next to the charger area, a new-ish Chipote's across the street, with a strip mall next door. Aside from Lucky's, the businesses were all of the local variety (no big box stores). Some homeless presence but they left us alone. Was only planning to charge to 80% but we got caught up grocery shopping at the nearby Lucky's. Left there at 91%.

Ukiah.jpg

2. Ukiah to Mendocino was uneventful. Saw a few Rivians on the road, including a very friendly yellow R1T who excitedly waved as we passed each other on the freeway. If that was you, hi again! Our hotel had a porch with great views, good restaurant, and most importantly, multiple EV chargers (L2), two of which are Tesla Destinations. This is probably preaching to the choir, but if you don't already have one of those Lectron adapters, order one stat! Tesla chargers are everywhere, and given the basic nature of EV charging infrastructure, it behooves us to have as many options as possible. That thing is so worth the investment.

LR Inn.jpg

3. We visited a variety of beaches and parks in the area. Impressively, all of the beaches and parks we went to (Van Damme - not a typo, McKerricher, Point Cabrillo Lighthouse) had EV chargers in their parking lots. I forgot to take pics or note the make/model (didn't have to use them), but they appear free. My tax dollars at work! Thanks to the Rivian nav, we even stumbled onto a Rivian Waypoint charger by some admin buildings across the highway from Russian Gulch. The garage on which it's installed held maintenance gear. Seemed an odd place to stick it, but good to know it's there. I guess this was their only option since Russian Gulch already has a charging station.

RussianGulch.jpg

4.. We planned a hike within McKerricher Park since it has two Rivian Waypoint chargers by the front gate. I probably didn't need it, but I wanted the photo op for you good people (and a bit more juice couldn't hurt), so plugged in anyway. Got about 24 miles/hr during our hikes. Note the red ICE in the neighboring Waypoint spot. She moved it when she saw me pull in, though. I think she works at the park. Props to her for being aware enough to do that.

RivianWayPoint.jpg

Mendocino > Redwood National Parks

5. After two nights, we headed further north to Redwood National Parks, stopping at the Fortuna RAN. Again, flawless. Like Ukiah, the chargers are in a strip mall, but here, its anchor store is a Safeway. There was a Dollar Tree as well, but the remaining stores are local. We picked a few (ok, a lot of) things up at Safeway which again, allowed me to overshoot my SOC goal of 80 to about 92%. There's a strong business model here - EV charging requires more time, so businesses will have a captive audience. Am very interested to see how EV stations evolve. We were joking that if Rivian charge stations had the Japanese train station model (whole malls of shops and restaurants sharing the building with the station), they'd rake in billions. There's money to be made here, capitalists!

fortuna.jpg

6. After a stop at the Sequoia Park Zoo (Redwood Sky Walk feature is a must-see), we made it to our hotel in Orick. No EV chargers on site, but the park Operations Center next door (in its parking lot, of all places) has a Shell Recharge - two fast, one L2. It was here that I broke my streak and had to spend actual money to charge, $9.75 to be exact. With absolutely nothing going on over there (more on that below), it was easier to monitor and hit my goal of 80%.

shell.jpg

7. Orick is pretty dead. It almost felt abandoned. Here's a shot of where we stayed. Pretty sure that asphalt is original circa 1950. The combination of all this really made it feel like I was in a Tarantino movie. Inside is totally remodeled from 2022, though. Once I got past the creepy factor, I actually dug the spot, although part of me was bracing for a visit from a guy in a ponytail paired with a dude boasting Jheri Curl, a commanding voice, and a penchant for quoting Old Testament verses.

roosevelt.jpg

8. The next day, we drove into Redwood National Parks to visit the Fern Canyon. On top of an online reservation, the Canyon requires a $12 fee and features a 45 minute dirt road drive to the trailhead. Said road also has two stream crossings. With all the rain and snow CA got this past winter, I was expecting an obstacle-ridden dirt path leading to a rushing body of water howling with violent treachery, full of bone trophies and tears from past, failed crossings. My R1T and I were ready to flip death off in its face while laughing maniacally, all the while nodding to the rhythm guitar of "The Immigrant Song" cranked to 11.

Instead, we got about 4" of gently flowing water that the 2010 Honda Civic behind us cleared with ease. But me being me, I still put her in Off Road, cranked the bass, and rolled through as-if. Be adventurous, my friends.

stream.jpg

RW Parks > Home

9. Over the next two days, we visited a variety of other trails and beaches, then returned home in the opposite order, leading off with another $9-ish at the Shell Recharge, followed by Fortuna, then Ukiah RANs. All said and done, I spent just under $20 in transport costs.

Random thoughts:

- Still can't figure out how the Reduced Regen thing works. It sometimes kicks on at higher SOC (like 80+, which I understand), but it also does so at lower amounts, like 59%. That was weird.

- Although I saw a few on the freeways, I did not see any Rivians at any of the parks or beaches. That struck me as odd.

- Along those lines, I fielded a few questions/comments about the truck. Lots of folks like the color, and one guy was enamoured with the gear tunnel door-as-a-seat. If I think about it, it really is the feature you never knew you needed until you actually have it.

- I love knowing that I have the capability to torch 95% of the other vehicles on the road. Its torque is really handy for on ramps and passing lines. That said, I chose to be greatly responsible with my great power, and hovered between 55-80mph depending on where I was.

- While still tiring, I was not nearly as worn out from the drive as I used to be in my old Ridgeline. This speaks volumes to the Rivian build since I usually really hate driving.

- We detoured into the Avenue Of The Giants scenic drive (Hwy 254) which is a lot of fun if you like driving among really tall redwoods. Since traffic was light, we were able to cruise at 25-30 mph in some areas and roll down the windows. Since there's no engine noise, it was a neat experience to hear sounds of nature from a moving vehicle.

- I realize this is long, but I'm hoping this helps anyone new to EV road trips. This forum was extremely helpful to me when I was still shopping/waiting, so its my wayof paying forward.
I was so ready with the Immigrant song playing to "death Ford" the crossing, you are such a tease. Great post.

H2Onu

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Semi-retired
Great write up. Snorted while drinking my coffee and reading your Tarantino motel reference.

Did the Avenue of the Giants drive a couple of weeks ago on my coastal drive from WA to Santa Cruz (camped near Rogue River mouth). Driving with the window open through the redwoods is nice.

Rivian R1T R1S Road trip up NorCal coast to Redwood National Parks ACFEBDFC-DEBF-4A36-9F22-6DDEE2288961

Sponsored

OP
OP

Ingo B

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Word Slinger
Edit: awesome pics and amazing trip, thanks for sharing!

There are good sections of 101 that are mapped. Last time I was up there, I used it (sparingly) but was surprised that it was so effective in as many spots as it was.

Surprised you didn’t spring for the $10 tourist trap and get a picture of your truck In the Tree … so here you go. :)
IMG_5440.jpeg
I didn't think it would fit, but looks like I'm wrong. I'll just live vicariously through you.

OP
OP

Ingo B

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Word Slinger
Great write up. Snorted while drinking my coffee and reading your Tarantino motel reference.

Did the Avenue of the Giants drive a couple of weeks ago on my coastal drive from WA to Santa Cruz (camped near Rogue River mouth). Driving with the window open through the redwoods is nice.

ACFEBDFC-DEBF-4A36-9F22-6DDEE2288961.jpeg
Great shot. I didn't even think about pulling over and taking pics.

mikehmb

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
eGolf, i3, R1T
I didn't think it would fit, but looks like I'm wrong. I'll just live vicariously through you.
Ha! It was pretty close, but I folded the mirrors back and had my daughter guide me through (and take the picture). Also dropped it to lowest setting just in case.

HokieBird7980

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Alpina B7, Mercedes GL550, Hyundai Tuscon
Occupation
Chief Commercial Officer, Pharmaceuticals
Clubs

That's one of my favorite areas to go exploring. Near the trailhead of Fern Canyon is a great little campground, Gold Bluff beach:
0B6B6DDC-1F69-4C92-B710-9F452DF196BA_1_105_c.jpeg

In the morning in spring time, you can often see herds of Roosevelt Elk meandering through camp.
Can i ask you what you have on top of the ikamper? Are those solar panels? How do you use it?

OP
OP

Ingo B

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Word Slinger
I forgot to add:

1. The RAN chargers all peaked at 199kW, but the Shell peaked at 149kW. Both are rated at 200kW.
2. I used Sport Mode for the curvier parts of the road, All Purpose for everything else, including that dirt road.
3. I'd be remiss if I didn't post the view from the room in Mendocino:

Rivian R1T R1S Road trip up NorCal coast to Redwood National Parks view
Sponsored