Sponsored

tbradley1015

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
S4
When I get in in the garage prompt is already popped up so I just close as I leave.
Ok, so it keeps the option up whenever you are in the home zone i guess. I thought it was triggered for a few seconds when you are entering or leaving the home zone.
Sponsored

azbill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Mach E, Hummer EV SUT
Occupation
Engineer
I'll be disappointed if EA is setup like that for plug and charge. I expect Tesla will be seamless but I plan on using superchargers in a charging desert or an emergency.
EVGO uses a less secure older standard (OCPP), which I think Tesla may have been using also. The idea behind ISO 15118 Plug & Charge is that you have one account set up to pay for all charges. It is not controlled by the charging network. For example with current P&C on RAN (if it were not free) the billing is via Rivian. If they enable P&C on EA, that billing will also be through Rivian.

There is a way for the billing company to set up Pass+ discount, Ford did it for a limited set of beta testers, those testers had to pay a $50 annual fee to get the discount. We will have to wait and see what Rivian can do.

Based on what Ford has told us, the Tesla payment system will likely work the way their system works with EA, billing is via Ford. Also with the Ford App, I can initiate a charge on EVGO or ChargePoint, then billing is via Ford also, even though it is not P&C. Those are all in what they call "Blue Oval Charging Network". The advantage is that you could use one app to initiate charging without having to have many separate accounts set up.

DTown3011

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Ok, so it keeps the option up whenever you are in the home zone i guess. I thought it was triggered for a few seconds when you are entering or leaving the home zone.
Correct, it's essentially "always on" when you are in the "home zone."

Chewy734

First Name
Ashu
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW, Ford, Rivian
Clubs

I’m curious why people are reporting these updates take anywhere from an hour to 2.5 hrs to perform. That’s a lot of variability!

Is that due to Wi-Fi/LTE connection speed? Or maybe what version the R1 is upgrading from? Or did Rivian randomly overclock the CPUs on some R1s and not others?

ER1T

First Name
Er
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2007 Mustang GT
Occupation
IT
When parked, you still need to use the center screen to open the garage door. As soon as you press the brake pedal, the garage door prompt will appear in the gauge cluster.

Sponsored

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
I’m curious why people are reporting these updates take anywhere from an hour to 2.5 hrs to perform. That’s a lot of variability!

Is that due to Wi-Fi/LTE connection speed? Or maybe what version the R1 is upgrading from? Or did Rivian randomly overclock the CPUs on some R1s and not others?
It could be several things. They seemed to push this update out to a lot of people at once, maybe they are testing their throughput as the number of vehicles in service is climbing, that could slow things down on the download side. Could be slower internet speed as well.

It used to seem like people were not notified the update was available until it was fully downloaded but that has not been verified and seems to behave as if it is not true.

Most of my updates have been between 55 and 80 minutes but I did have an early one that was close to 2.5 hours. I had a loaner R1T a few weeks ago that was 3 updates behind, I applied those as they became available and seemed to be very similar to the R1S times I’ve seen.

Reactions: VSG

travbz814

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, M3P
Clubs

Is everyone's garage opener the wheel/button on the right? Mine is the right side of the button not the wheel.

I have alexa disabled. Wondering if this is why.

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
Is everyone's garage opener the wheel/button on the right? Mine is the right side of the button not the wheel.

I have alexa disabled. Wondering if this is why.
Everyone should be the right side of the wheel controls and the right button from there. The scroll bar is to scroll through and select openers if you have more openers at that location.

bael

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LE R1T, X5
Clubs

It could be several things. They seemed to push this update out to a lot of people at once, maybe they are testing their throughput as the number of vehicles in service is climbing, that could slow things down on the download side. Could be slower internet speed as well.

It used to seem like people were not notified the update was available until it was fully downloaded but that has not been verified and seems to behave as if it is not true.

Most of my updates have been between 55 and 80 minutes but I did have an early one that was close to 2.5 hours. I had a loaner R1T a few weeks ago that was 3 updates behind, I applied those as they became available and seemed to be very similar to the R1S times I’ve seen.
the update is downloaded to the vehicle before you are prompted to update.
What it does during preparing, I don’t have insight. Just can see the data have downloaded on the network before having the update option

so don’t think of it like your phone which may download before preparing and updating when you hit the go button

Chewy734

First Name
Ashu
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW, Ford, Rivian
Clubs

the update is downloaded to the vehicle before you are prompted to update.
What it does during preparing, I don’t have insight. Just can see the data have downloaded on the network before having the update option

so don’t think of it like your phone which may download before preparing and updating when you hit the go button
Interesting… so preparing and updating is really all it’s doing during that time. Makes me wonder why the update times vary by so much then. 🤔

Sponsored

Blakeney

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ram 1500 Limited, 2020 Kia Telluride SX
Man this is lame, who cares about not having to select the garage and then which door you want to open? This isn't a critical improvement or something that will sell more vehicles... They need to fix stuff and give us some new meaningful features... they say they are listening... they are not at all. This is a typical "engineers telling customers what they want" instead of actually listening to the voice of the customer. Sorry for the rant... I'll probably be hung for saying anything that isn't sunshine and fairytales on this forum anyhow haha

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
Man this is lame, who cares about not having to select the garage and then which door you want to open? This isn't a critical improvement or something that will sell more vehicles... They need to fix stuff and give us some new meaningful features... they say they are listening... they are not at all. This is a typical "engineers telling customers what they want" instead of actually listening to the voice of the customer. Sorry for the rant... I'll probably be hung for saying anything that isn't sunshine and fairytales on this forum anyhow haha
This garage feature is one of my favorite updates so far…. 🤷🏻

Blakeney

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ram 1500 Limited, 2020 Kia Telluride SX
This garage feature is one of my favorite updates so far…. 🤷🏻
Unfortunately it’s pretty sad that we/people of rivian are excited for the garage buttons.. goes to show they haven’t really given us anything or have been listening to all the other feedback of features requested. I dig bug fixes, they are needed, but so are a few new features here and there to keep people engaged, to feel they’re listened to, to keep people buying and updating technology etc..

The maps for example are terrible in satélite, unusable.. I have had my house for more than 5 years and the satélite image still shows grass fields for my entire street.. it’s bonkers

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
Unfortunately it’s pretty sad that we/people of rivian are excited for the garage buttons.. goes to show they haven’t really given us anything or have been listening to all the other feedback of features requested. I dig bug fixes, they are needed, but so are a few new features here and there to keep people engaged, to feel they’re listened to, to keep people buying and updating technology etc..

The maps for example are terrible in satélite, unusable.. I have had my house for more than 5 years and the satélite image still shows grass fields for my entire street.. it’s bonkers
You just seem unhappy with your purchase. Sorry to hear that.

It takes time to develop software changes, they are providing new features and fixes every month. There schedule might not align with your specific desires but pretty impressive none the less.

I can assure you my feelings are a complete opposite of yours as I am very happy with what I purchased and the enhancements I have received.

ER1T

First Name
Er
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2007 Mustang GT
Occupation
IT

The maps for example are terrible in satélite, unusable..I have had my house for more than 5 years and the satélite image still shows grass fields for my entire street.. it’s bonkers
How many “features requested” did your 2021 Ram 1500 Limited or 2020 Kia Telluride SX get updated??? Let me guess…ZERO
Sponsored