Sponsored

EVTrucking

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Unknown
Clubs

How long was it taking on the 18 wheelers????
Car carrier transport from a centralized rail yard to the dealerships seemed to take 1-3 weeks. Highly dependent on driver and truck availability. Our ‘lost’ Mach-e arrived in SLC 12/10/21 and was not delivered to Boise ID until 2/5/22. For some unknown amount of time the car was ‘bricked’ in SLC due a dead 12v battery.

Rail transport is nothing like car carrier transport in that on a really good day rail will cover 100miles but not necessarily towards the final destination. There are also many days that the car does not move an inch.
Sponsored

Jayhox

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MS
FWIW my guide indicated he expected my vehicle to arrive at the West Sac service center sometime next week. That might align with what some of the the Bay Area folks are hearing? To say I'm confident in that timeline would certainly be a gross overstatement. Everything just "feels" very tentative and far from concrete. Who knows?

R1Sky Business

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Clubs

Car carrier transport from a centralized rail yard to the dealerships seemed to take 1-3 weeks. Highly dependent on driver and truck availability. Our ‘lost’ Mach-e arrived in SLC 12/10/21 and was not delivered to Boise ID until 2/5/22. For some unknown amount of time the car was ‘bricked’ in SLC due a dead 12v battery.

Rail transport is nothing like car carrier transport in that on a really good day rail will cover 100miles but not necessarily towards the final destination. There are also many days that the car does not move an inch.
Not efficient at all

EVTrucking

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Unknown
Clubs

Not efficient at all
I had no experience with rail transport until the Mach-e and was totally frustrated and surprised by it’s inefficient nature.

The car dealership model completely hides this. Vast majority of folks by a car off the lot, never knowing or caring how the car got there.

Rail is slow and inefficient but does get vehicles to there destinations relatively safe and sound.

Last edited:

Guy

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda 6, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Scientist
Clubs

I had no experience with rail transport until the Mach-e and was totally frustrated and surprised by it’s inefficient nature.

The car dealership model completely hides this. Vast majority of folks by a car off the lot, never knowing or caring how the car got there.

Rail is slow and inefficient but does get vehicles to there destinations relatively safe and sound.
And it is more environmentally friendly.

Sponsored

R1Sky Business

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Clubs

Love the safe and sound part

coshesey

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2023 Rivian R1S
Occupation
Director Home Services
Anyone get a truck off of a Rail delivery yet?

RFC1918

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Rivian R1S, Porsche Cayman S
Occupation
IT
I pinged my guide this morning for updates on the rail transport. Original estimate was end of of the month (July). New ESTIMATE is arriving at the service center "this week".

I guess we will see. If rail is now taking a month or so they should update the 8 Steps to indicate that. I probably would have waited on the insurance and financing steps.

Sponsored

Matt D.

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Odyssey
Rivian R1T R1S Rivian Transitioning to Railway Train Transport For Deliveries 1659373634447

They’re not all going by train. I saw this at a rest stop on I70 in Ohio yesterday.

iansriv

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Not me. In transit for 3 weeks
For those that could have-would a factory delivery have been better as far as the wait? Also, is it better for fixing issues found at delivery? I'm just trying to cause more anxiety by introducing a new variable.

Guinefort

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lexus Hybrid
Occupation
Photographer
For those that could have-would a factory delivery have been better as far as the wait? Also, is it better for fixing issues found at delivery? I'm just trying to cause more anxiety by introducing a new variable.
I considered a factory pick up, but it’s about a 3-4 day drive for me (Normal-Oalkand) and I don’t have the time rn. Didn’t think train delivery would take 4 weeks though

Last edited:

Zoidz

First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 R1S Adv, Avalanche, BMWs-X3,330cic,K1200RS bike
Occupation
Engineer

Mcfly Rivian

First Name