Sponsored

TheHedgehog116

First Name
Manny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'12 Charger
I just spoke to my guide this morning and he let me know as of last week Rivian has converted to using the railway for transports out of Normal similar to Ford with the Lightnings. This extends delivery from 4-5 days to 7-14 days. My R1T was built last Friday and is currently in staging. I'm located in SoCal so I'm thinking I'll unfortunately be more towards the 14 day mark.

I confirmed configuration June 3rd so it looks like when it's all said and done I'll be getting the keys around the 10-11 week range. So much for my guide hyping me up initially saying 4-8 weeks BUT expects me to get it sooner than that lol.
Sponsored

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
Good news, less likelihood of damage in transit.

this also means their output has increased to the point of rail being viable.

OP
OP

TheHedgehog116

First Name
Manny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'12 Charger

Yup you're right. The Guide did say the benefit of the railway is a decrease in possible cosmetic damage from transporting which will allow the QC to be done quicker.

Scoiatael

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning
Railway transport can delay things a lot. Sometimes the railway car will get disconnected at a depot and can sit there for a week or two. Happens with Ford sometimes.

Sponsored

OP
OP

TheHedgehog116

First Name
Manny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'12 Charger
Railway transport can delay things a lot. Sometimes the railway car will get disconnected at a depot and can sit there for a week or two. Happens with Ford sometimes.
When I was told the news I took it with mixed feelings. On one side I saw the bright side of things in that there'll be less cosmetic damage. On the other hand, I considered exactly what you said based off reading Lightning forums and got sad. There's pros and cons to everything. I just gotta deal with the delays as they come and curb my excitement just a little bit longer. Not sure how much longer my significant other can deal with me talking about EVs though.

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
When I was told the news I took it with mixed feelings. On one side I saw the bright side of things in that there'll be less cosmetic damage. On the other hand, I considered exactly what you said based off reading Lightning forums and got sad. There's pros and cons to everything. I just gotta deal with the delays as they come and curb my excitement just a little bit longer. Not sure how much longer my significant other can deal with me talking about EVs though.
Going by truck is no silver bullet, delays are just as and indeed more likely there.

most new vehicles are shipped by rail.

I waited months for a car to get loaded on a train at Halifax and delivered here.

if you have the time and Rivian accommodates it, take delivery at the factory. Then you can either road trip home or pay big bucks to ship if enclosed with a carrier like Reliable.

Bobthebuilder352

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Kubota
Occupation
Farmer
Train transport has a lot of other challenges. Namely being a LOT slower unless you’re shipping 500 cars to one location…which they aren’t.

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
Train transport has a lot of other challenges. Namely being a LOT slower unless you’re shipping 500 cars to one location…which they aren’t.
Not sure I agree here. A train car designed for vehicle transport can fit 10 to 15 vehicles. The truck transports we have seen had 4 or 5. If they shipped 3 or 4 train cars to a regional area to distribute them from there it would be more efficient in the long run. It should also be more economical as well.

As production increases it will only make more sense to utilize the tracks coming out of the Normal factory to shuttle the vehicles around the company.

Bobthebuilder352

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Kubota
Occupation
Farmer
Not sure I agree here. A train car designed for vehicle transport can fit 10 to 15 vehicles. The truck transports we have seen had 4 or 5. If they shipped 3 or 4 train cars to a regional area to distribute them from there it would be more efficient in the long run. It should also be more economical as well.

As production increases it will only make more sense to utilize the tracks coming out of the Normal factory to shuttle the vehicles around the company.
Yah but a “few” train cars get the lowest priority when they’re assembling their train schedule. You’re talking weeks vs days with trucks. Also, delivery guarantees essentially don’t exist with rail. The exception being if you’re taking 50 rail cars between two single points but that’s not what Rivian is doing.

Sponsored

gtlevan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bolt
I just spoke to my guide this morning and he let me know as of last week Rivian has converted to using the railway for transports out of Normal similar to Ford with the Lightnings. This extends delivery from 4-5 days to 7-14 days. My R1T was built last Friday and is currently in staging. I'm located in SoCal so I'm thinking I'll unfortunately be more towards the 14 day mark.

I confirmed configuration June 3rd so it looks like when it's all said and done I'll be getting the keys around the 10-11 week range. So much for my guide hyping me up initially saying 4-8 weeks BUT expects me to get it sooner than that lol.
What's your configuration and service center in Socal?

MountainBikeDude

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 El Cap Quad Motor R1T (Selling the Xterra)
Clubs

Same thoughts occurred to me as well. Maybe 40K R1 vehicles produced this year???

iansriv

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Why not give customers the option of a factory delivery? You could get a factory tour and lunch with RJ.

Last edited:

Batman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S Launch Edition; Kia Telluride SX-P

When did you place your original pre-order?

RBR1S

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S preorder holder; '14 JGC,'20 Subaru Crosstrek
Yup you're right. The Guide did say the benefit of the railway is a decrease in possible cosmetic damage from transporting which will allow the QC to be done quicker.

Last miles will still be done by truck. Example in WA state, Seattle would the the drop point by train, then loaded on truck and taken the Bellevue SC.
Sponsored