First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Kia EV6 FE, 2022 Rivian R1T
Occupation
Self-Employed: Real Estate Management
https://www.motortrend.com/news/riv...GI4X-6sQsBCyMjReJs3stasAxCxHff1_MBANfiNtOSVjY

“Rivian is hard at work organizing production for its R1T pickup, R1S SUV, and Amazon delivery all-electric vehicles which have struggled to sustain full capacity thanks to supply chain headaches everyone is facing right now, but that hasn't stopped the company from looking toward its next step. In a shareholder letter issued this week, Rivian has teased more details of its so-called upcoming "R2" platform of new vehicles, which will likely be priced and marketed as more affordable offerings in the company lineup.

According to the letter to shareholders, which was published to the Rivian website and first reported on by AutoGuide, Rivian has focused its roadmap "to ensure that the $17 billion of cash we had on our balance sheet as of March 31, 2022 can support the 2025 launch and ramp of our R2 vehicle platform." Rivian says the R2 will be the next step to expand the brand portfolio "globally across different price points and form factors," but the letter does not go into further detail on what shape the R2 platform could take—only that it will be critical to Rivian's long-term success.

MotorTrend previously was informed that the R2 platform will take on a more compact size and design for a series of smaller vehicles, including both trucks and SUVs. We expect the R2 lineup will have dual- and tri-motor drivetrain configurations, but will not adopt the quad-motor setup of the larger, beefier R1 platform that underpins the R1T and R1S. It's unclear which platform other rumored vehicles including an expected, sportier Jeep Wrangler competitor might get.
Rivian claims it's prepared to scale production capacity up to 150,000 units per year, which remains the company's top priority moving forward. The Normal, Illinois production facility has proven it can operate at full capacity in "burst build activities," according to Rivian, and is now reportedly only limited by supply chain support in the global market. The startup claims it has received over 90,000 preorders combined for its R1T and R1S pickup and SUV models, on top of Amazon's order of 100,000 delivery vans. Rivian has not yet announced when the first new vehicle spawned off the R2 platform is expected to launch, but we learning more about it by the end of next year.”
Sponsored

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
I’ve been curious if the plans for the R2 eventually will include a smaller pickup. The battery tech and efficiency would likely be much better by then. I would definitely consider trading or selling my R1T at that time if it happens.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Rivian has not yet announced when the first new vehicle spawned off the R2 platform is expected to launch
They've stated the R2 platform is supposed to launch in 2025 at the Georgia facility. We pretty much know zero details about their plan though.

kurtlikevonnegut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T QM, Honda Odyssey
Clubs

Not a whole lot of new information there but that's not surprising the way that Rivian plays things close to the chest. I anticipate that when they do announce the R2 lineup in 2023 those vehicles will be essentially production ready. I expect a minimum of 2 vehicles, a compact/midsize SUV and a hatchback/crossover. Other than that, I wouldn't be surprised to see a smaller truck and a minivan.

Gator42

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Defender
Rivian founder and CEO RJ Scaringe said that the model to follow its initial R1T pick-up truck and R1S SUV would be “bananas” in the way it performed

Spy Photo!!!:

Rivian R1T R1S Rivian R2: Everything We Know About Rivian's Next All-New EV [by Motortrend] DE3924B0-5167-43D8-91C7-DAEAEBB2176E

Motor Trend predicts the R2 will have great appeal…

Last edited:

Sponsored

Max

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Truck
Rivian founder and CEO RJ Scaringe said that the model to follow its initial R1T pick-up truck and R1S SUV would be “bananas” in the way it performed

Spy Photo!!!:

It will have to be bananas with everything that is already in that space and all the ones trying to get in the space. Either design, capability or price will have to be exceptional for it to sell long term. Short term however, with current EV shortage, anything will sell.

OP
OP
Canthoney

Canthoney

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Kia EV6 FE, 2022 Rivian R1T
Occupation
Self-Employed: Real Estate Management

Spy Photo!!!:

DE3924B0-5167-43D8-91C7-DAEAEBB2176E.jpeg

I’ve heard the R1X will be bananas so this won’t be too far off 🤣

dleewla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian, Toyota, Lexus
Clubs

they basically said it would start with a mid-size or compact SUV. that makes the most sense as they want to expand globally. and globally trucks arent that popular.

junkanoo

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Acura RDX, Suburu Outback, R1S
Occupation
Supply Chain Planning
I think producing an upscale Jeep Wrangler competitor makes perfect sense. Targeting a Jeep Wrangler at the same price point as a Jeep EV? Not going to happen.

Reactions: Rad

Sponsored

Speedrye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Commodore, Supra, FJ Cruiser
R2?? Heck, give me what you know about the R1S first since it's supposedly already being built. One step at a time Motor Trend, one step at a time.

As to the R2, I'm hoping for something like the now-defunct Rally Fighter. Completely impractical for most, but whatever...

Autolycus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ICE only :(
I would probably be better off with whatever SUV/CUV model comes on the R2 platform versus the R1S, but I definitely can't wait until 2025!! If they do a hatchback in the size range of my wife's Niro or a Subaru Crosstrek, she may be very interested a few years after it's out though -- assuming we're happy with my R1S at that point.

kurtlikevonnegut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T QM, Honda Odyssey
Clubs

I would probably be better off with whatever SUV/CUV model comes on the R2 platform versus the R1S, but I definitely can't wait until 2025!! If they do a hatchback in the size range of my wife's Niro or a Subaru Crosstrek, she may be very interested a few years after it's out though -- assuming we're happy with my R1S at that point.
On the bright side, with Pre-March pricing on the R1S you can probably at least break even by downgrading from the R1S to a R2 when they become available.

Sully151

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2008 Jeep JkU
Occupation
Theater arts
By the time the R2’s come out, our Mini SE may be ready to be replaced.

Autolycus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ICE only :(
On the bright side, with Pre-March pricing on the R1S you can probably at least break even by downgrading from the R1S to a R2 when they become available.
Yeah, maybe so, and I would absolutely work out the math on doing that.

Going from a larger-than-I-need R1S to a more practical and hopefully more efficient vehicle with newer battery, motor, charging, etc. tech, and a new vehicle instead of a ~3-4 year old one, at that? Yeah, that would probably make sense even if I can't break even. It's going to be very interesting to see what used Rivian prices look like in a couple years.
Sponsored