Sponsored

Rivian Prioritizing R1T Over R1S in Order to Hit 25k This Year and to Fill Post Mar 2022 R1T Orders Next Year?

Longhorngirl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Highlander
Occupation
Actuary
After reading the new delivery date estimates thread, it seems pretty clear that Rivian is prioritizing R1Ts. I think they are doing this for two reasons. 1. To hit the 25k goal this year. 2. To start filling post Mar 2022 R1T orders next year to make higher margins. As a Launch Edition R1S preorder holder, I am not pleased that I am taking delivery next year. As a stock holder, I am pleased that Rivian is doing what it takes to hit the production goal this year and to start trying to fill post March 2022 orders next year. That said, it means that my R1S estimate of February-March next year may get further pushed back, if Rivian decides they want to continue tot try and fill more post March 2022 R1T orders.

For this year, I think the breakdown of R1T/R1S/EDV will be 18,000/2,000/5,000. How much time do y’all think it takes to make a R1S vs R1T? Do you think it is a significant time difference? They obviously have more experience making R1Ts.
Sponsored

av8or

First Name
Randall
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Jeep Wrangler, 2023 Rivian R1T
Occupation
FedEx Retired
Clubs

You very well might be onto something. I’m a 1/22 preorder for R1T and got what I feel like is great news. feb-march 2023. It does seem like R1S and max pack people are the least happy.

Atlrivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grand Cherokee, XC90
Clubs

I think many of us have been making similar arguments for months. However, before the latest delivery estimates I don't think it was clear just how much they seem to be prioritizing Ts. Very few S reservations with 2022 delivery dates. Most 2018 orders are posting 2023 delivery estimates.

No idea how much longer an S takes on the line, but with 90% similar parts it can't be too much longer.

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
I was thinking that they probably are having a supply chain issue for something on the R1S, maybe rear seats or some other rear pieces.

My second thought was Amazon may be looking for more deliveries with the current price of fuel but I kind of discounted that as it does not make sense that they are pushing R1Ts.

Just seems more likely a part constraint issue on the R1S. Maybe they will address it in the Q&A for 3rd qtr results report.

Sponsored

ads75

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Jeep Wrangler 2DR, 2022 R1T
Occupation
Utilities
Clubs

Reading the projected timeline delivery thread, while it may seem like they are producing more R1Ts than R1Ss, someone needs to keep in mind the R1T VIN sequence is somewhere around 14000 now. 14000 customers who already have their R1Ts. Rivian just recently started making the R1S for customers. They still need to calibrate their manufacturing process for that. I would also guess a lot more people want the R1S instead of the R1T, because a lot of people (especially with kids) seem to view 7 seats as a must have (as long as it isn't a van).

jclicky

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
I was thinking that they probably are having a supply chain issue for something on the R1S, maybe rear seats or some other rear pieces.

My second thought was Amazon may be looking for more deliveries with the current price of fuel but I kind of discounted that as it does not make sense that they are pushing R1Ts.

Just seems more likely a part constraint issue on the R1S. Maybe they will address it in the Q&A for 3rd qtr results report.
I agree it’s likely a part issue - perhaps it’s the body-framing but I also believe they are risk averse from tonneau in-the-field issues too; I think they are doing a slow-ramp in case of issues like fragile glass rooftop, or other unique issues for this new frame/size.

Also, though I doubt it influenced their choices, the R1T is better branding/advertising because it’s more distinctive in form-factor for the brand recognition, so better model to prioritize getting out there.

OP
OP
Longhorngirl

Longhorngirl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Highlander
Occupation
Actuary
You very well might be onto something. I’m a 1/22 preorder for R1T and got what I feel like is great news. feb-march 2023. It does seem like R1S and max pack people are the least happy.
Congrats! It seems like they have been beating some of the estimates provided for R1Ts, so you may get it even sooner.

AdamsFan1983

First Name
Silence Dogood
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE in GW
Occupation
Public Relations

Been saying to my wife since the beginning of OCT that I thought they were having issues with the R1S build quality. I’m betting on body panels/stamping. Gotta be time consuming to get bad results and have to have new tooling made in order to dial things in.

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
Been saying to my wife since the beginning of OCT that I thought they were having issues with the R1S build quality. I’m betting on body panels/stamping. Gotta be time consuming to get bad results and have to have new tooling made in order to dial things in.
That is very possible, there has been a few people talking about the top of the rear hatch fitment.

It is a drag to have the dates pushed again but every month the OTAs are dialing in the software. There has been a lot of chances to identify and fix other small issues. More experienced workers as more vehicles comes off the line.

Fortunately I want the vehicle and don’t need it so I just keep telling myself in the long run I will end up with a better build.

Sponsored

echerod

First Name
Rodolfo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, Tesla Model 3, BMW i3
Occupation
Finance
That is very possible, there has been a few people talking about the top of the rear hatch fitment.

It is a drag to have the dates pushed again but every month the OTAs are dialing in the software. There has been a lot of chances to identify and fix other small issues. More experienced workers as more vehicles comes off the line.

Fortunately I want the vehicle and don’t need it so I just keep telling myself in the long run I will end up with a better build.
I fully agree. The Rivian enthusiast in me wants to get delivery of my R1S ASAP, while the pragmatist in me thinks that a later delivery means I will pay a much lower early adopter tax. In my case this is a vehicle I want to own and enjoy for years to come, so another 3 months is not going to make that big of a difference.

R1Sky Business

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Clubs

I fully agree. The Rivian enthusiast in me wants to get delivery of my R1S ASAP, while the pragmatist in me thinks that a later delivery means I will pay a much lower early adopter tax. In my case this is a vehicle I want to own and enjoy for years to come, so another 3 months is not going to make that big of a difference.
Soon enough

OP
OP
Longhorngirl

Longhorngirl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Highlander
Occupation
Actuary
Great attitudes guys! @SANZC02 @echerod February-March isn’t that much longer. However, I am not confident they will meet my new window. My previous estimate was 1H2023, so I am thinking I should continue with that expectation. If I can get it by February-March that will be a plus.

dfx

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 LandCruiser, 2015 Model S 70D
I think there's a general frustration for those of us who ordered R1S 3 to 4 years ago. It became apparent that they were going to prioritize R1T deliveries to ensure their guidance for 25k vehicles came true and after all the delays it was disappointing for us.
I fully disagree with the thought that they want to deliver more vehicles that were ordered post-Mar 2022. At the IPO there were 60000+ pre-orders. On Jan 1 2023 they'll have delivered under 30000 of those. They are indeed delivering the R1T at a good pace but they still have a lot of pre-orders to chew through.
I thought it was theorized on this site a few years ago that the R1T would generate about twice the number of sales as the R1S. They're a decent ways off of getting to those Mar 2022 pre-orders

Cavalryscout18

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla
I have heard a few times that there are many more R1S reservations than R1T. This was confirmed by Tony C. This is apparent when we see that people who ordered R1Ts in 2022 have received their trucks already or are expected to take delivery within a year after preorder. I think it’s speculation why they chose to build the R1T when they had many more S reservations; my guess would be that they wanted to be first to market with an electric truck whereas there were plenty of other electric “SUVs” in the market already. The headlines were more eye-catching ahead of the IPO with the truck.

It also seemed weird to me that if there are over 90,000 reservations, and if it was more evenly split between the two, then how can someone who ordered an R1T in late 2021 or 2022 have already taken delivery if there were over 45,000 people ahead of them and they have only built 14,000 trucks. Math doesn’t add up. So it makes more sense that there are much less R1Ts and that’s why the build out for legacy reservation holders is so long. I’m in So. Cal with a September 2021 preorder for an R1S and I have a Q4 2023 delivery window. People with R1Ts with my timeframe have already taken delivery or will be taking delivery soon.
Sponsored