Sponsored

Rivian payload / towing capacity and trailer brake controller

Interferon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S P100DL
More regen w/ no trailer brakes! :whew:
And could be more dangerous. Hopefully the built-in brake controller will balance between regen and trailer brakes to maximize regen without creating a dangerous situation. It could use the accelerometers to sense any lateral acceleration in the rear of the vehicle to push the balance to the trailer brakes.
Sponsored

Interferon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S P100DL
Factory brake controllers are fairly standard on modern trucks, so I would be very surprised if Rivian didn't include one.
Especially since they could implement it with a software module in the infotainment system. The truck already has accelerometer sensors and brake position sensors.

R1Tr8000

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ā€˜99 SLK230, 22 Sequoia, 17 GLE43, 14 CnAm SxS
Occupation
Aerospace retired
Especially since they could implement it with a software module in the infotainment system. The truck already has accelerometer sensors and brake position sensors.
Here is what CS told me recently:

Thank you for reaching out to the Customer Engagement Center. We are happy to be here to help you along your journey with Rivian. That is a great question! Yes, Rivian vehicles have an integrated brake controller that utilizes a 7-pin connector. It will not be something that you will have to purchase separate or have installed. This will be standard for both models moving forward!

R1Tr8000

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Aerospace retired
I also asked them a few questions about towing a 6000 lb trailer, and their response:

ā€œ
Thanks for taking the opportunity to reach out! We appreciate your interest in our adventure vehicles, and I'm happy to share some insight surrounding your questions.

While hauling at a max capacity of 11,000lbs, the range will reduce by about 50%, similar to a traditional vehicle. And though we have tested this level of activity in various conditions, the exact numbers for different towing capacities haven't been shared yet. I did check base with our internal teams and unfortunately, data could not be provided at this time.

However, Rivian vehicles are built with an intelligent battery management system (BMS) that optimizes cell performance and extends the life of your battery. Our intelligent BMS sends and receives data in real-time, continuously learning how you drive and charge. Essentially the battery get's even better over time and has been tested through strenuous environments, and conditions to ensure that when hauling at 6,000 lbs you will be able to do so without a drastic reduction in range.

Along with that, we are building the Rivian Adventure Network, our DC fast-charging stations that will add 140 miles of range in 20 minutes or 200 miles in 30 minutes. Within the infotainment system, you will be able to navigate and find charging stations along your route to ensure charging is always accessible if needed.ā€

emoore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
Here is what CS told me recently:

Thank you for reaching out to the Customer Engagement Center. We are happy to be here to help you along your journey with Rivian. That is a great question! Yes, Rivian vehicles have an integrated brake controller that utilizes a 7-pin connector. It will not be something that you will have to purchase separate or have installed. This will be standard for both models moving forward!
That would be awesome if true. Don't want to mess with an aftermarket brake controller.

Sponsored

Trandall

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2023 Mach-E
Occupation
Construction Management
" our DC fast-charging stations that will add 140 miles of range in 20 minutes or 200 miles in 30 minutes."
This is the first time I've seen mention of 200 miles in 30 minutes. If this is true of the large pack it would indicate the charging curve doesen't drop to sharply until at least after 60% SOC. My understanding is that this would mean Rivian is leaving adequate buffer above 100% charge which will help with battery longevity. Am I stretching this tidbit of info past its meaning?

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla XLR+2019, Lexus, Landcruiser, R1T
Occupation
EE Retired
" our DC fast-charging stations that will add 140 miles of range in 20 minutes or 200 miles in 30 minutes."
This is the first time I've seen mention of 200 miles in 30 minutes. If this is true of the large pack it would indicate the charging curve doesen't drop to sharply until at least after 60% SOC. My understanding is that this would mean Rivian is leaving adequate buffer above 100% charge which will help with battery longevity. Am I stretching this tidbit of info past its meaning?
All it means is that you can add 140/400 = 35% SoC to the battery in 20/60 = 33% of an hour and 200/400 = 50% SoC in 30/60 = 50% of an hour implying an average charge rate of 1C. That seems to be typical of BEV though some manufacturers are claiming rates double this. There are an infinite number of tapers that would give this result so you can't conclude too much about taper. And you can't really deduce much about buffer size at either end from it.

R1Tr8000

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Aerospace retired
Not sure how to interpret charging or SOC either. But it was the first time I've seen that too..so thought it post-worthy. In my recent discussions with CS..without specifically saying what I've configured..they have mentioned my configuration, so they see it from my email and name. R1T Max Pack. So..it 'might' be the 200 miles, 30 mins is for the Max Pack. Either way it helps me out re. towing worries, etc.

The other statement they made: "Essentially the battery get's even better over time and has been tested through strenuous environments, and conditions to ensure that when hauling at 6,000 lbs you will be able to do so without a drastic reduction in range.".. has also given me a tad more towing confidence. Of course "drastic" is not defined. And they are not aware of the size (tall x wide) of the box I plan to pull around.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
EE Retired
Not sure how to interpret charging or SOC either. But it was the first time I've seen that too..so thought it post-worthy.
It was. That's valuable information.

In my recent discussions with CS..without specifically saying what I've configured..they have mentioned my configuration, so they see it from my email and name. R1T Max Pack. So..it 'might' be the 200 miles, 30 mins is for the Max Pack. Either way it helps me out re. towing worries, etc.
As all three flavors will have close to the same consumption it doesn't really matter which model you have. Of course taking on 200 miles in half an hour in the car with a 130 kWh battery implies a charge rate of 1.38C which is higher than for the 180 kW hr car but not unthinkable.

The other statement they made: "Essentially the battery get's even better over time and has been tested through strenuous environments, and conditions to ensure that when hauling at 6,000 lbs you will be able to do so without a drastic reduction in range.".. has also given me a tad more towing confidence. Of course "drastic" is not defined. And they are not aware of the size (tall x wide) of the box I plan to pull around.
This one I am a bit skeptical about. It isn't the weight of a trailer than draws down the battery so much as it is drag. Towing something "boxy" is going to cost you more than towing something bullet shaped.

Last edited:

TessP100D

Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla 2017 P100D MS
Agreed itā€™s not the best tow vehicle for long range but it sounds like itā€™s great for towing the boat a few miles to the ramp though.
Yes it might tow a boat to the ramp. Lookā€¦ the Rivian will not be a tow vehicle.

Sponsored

Trandall

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2023 Mach-E
Occupation
Construction Management
@ajdelange @R1Tr8000,
I was optimistically hoping the charging numbers were for the large pack but it seems like they may be for the max pack. If these numbers are indeed for the max pack then I am now concerned that the large pack might be 25% less in direct relation to capacity.

R1Tr8000

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Aerospace retired
Right right, exactly. Iā€™m not counting on many assumptions basically. I will begin with out-and-back short trips with the trailer attached (and presumably from a high SOC in the garage just before departing) and see how the SOC dwindles esp on the uphill out leg. And see how much regen if any is gained on the (mostly) downhill return leg. All that in normal summer temps.
Will learn from that and progressively increase round-trip distance and continue that until I know enough. All from and back to home.
Over time and as the RAN and other fast chargers are built out Iā€™ll be able to plan longer trips. Iā€™m willing to be patient. Iā€™m willing to pull in and unhitch somewhere if necessary to charge up. In the meantime Iā€™ll have the ICE tow vehicle ready for longer trips. And the R1T will also become the daily driver and long trip driver (w/o trailer).

JeremyP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota 4runner, BMW I3, preordered R1S
Occupation
Engineer
We just finished a 2500 mile trip towing our 5000lb brick of a travel trailer (jayco 22bhm with baja package) with a v6 4runner. We only went over 150 miles before refueling a couple times because we (or the kids) usually needed a break before then. Limited power meant usually traveling at around 60mph or so. I really hope the Rivian can do similar travel legs, because I'm sure the actual driving will be much more comfortable (like I could actually set cruise control!)

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
EE Retired
@ajdelange @R1Tr8000,
I was optimistically hoping the charging numbers were for the large pack but it seems like they may be for the max pack. If these numbers are indeed for the max pack then I am now concerned that the large pack might be 25% less in direct relation to capacity.
If they all consume .450 kWh/mi and they take on 200 mi in half and hour that means they take on, in half an hour, 90 kWh. In a 100 kWh pack that's 90% of the capacity in 0.5 hr corresponding to a charging rate of 1.8C. In a 130 kWh pack that's 69% of the capacity in half an hour for a rate of 1.4C for a 180W pack it is is half the capacity in half an hour which is 1C. In all cases they are taking power from the charger at an average rate of 180 kW. 1C is going pretty easy on the battery. 1.4C is harder on it but not terribly so, 1.8C is eyebrow raising but one of the Korean manufacturers claims to charge faster than that. Thus I think we can be absolutely certain that the quoted number applied to the Max and be fairly certain that it applied to the large as well. For the small, they may slow it down some.
Sponsored