Rivian payload / towing capacity and trailer brake controller

IHScout

First Name
Waid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevrolet Volt, Expedition
Can anyone confirm if an integrated trailer brake controller will be included? I can't seem to get an answer from support on this. I see people adding aftermarket controllers to Teslas and I have an aftermarket on my suburban. Would much prefer the integration. Thanks
Sponsored

Last edited:

jarross

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Forester XT, Chevy Silverado
Occupation
Pharmacist
Can anyone confirm if an integrated trailer brake controller will be included?
They allude to it in their updated website, but no real definitions anywhere I can see.
Rivian R1T R1S Rivian payload / towing capacity and trailer brake controller Screen Shot 2020-11-13 at 12.27.09 PM

azbill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Mach E, Hummer EV SUT
Occupation
Engineer
With the capability to deliver peak torque almost instantly, and the ability to modulate power from individual motors more effectively as part of traction-control systems, electric trucks are inherently better-suited to launch confidently up such a ramp—pulling a trailer up a slick boat launch, for instance.
This is exactly my use case. My boat and trailer are 5000 lbs, and I typically travel 35 miles one way to the lake. Range will not be an issue. Plus a boat is much more aerodynamic than a travel or box trailer, so the range loss will likely be less than 50%.

Smithery

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MX 100D, XC70, Cooper S JCW, R1T Large
"Trailer assist" does not generally refer to a brake controller, sadly.

To elaborate further, not nearly all trailers even have brakes, and even trailers without brakes benefit from a vehicle's "trailer assist" features

Last edited:

azbill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
"Trailer assist" does not generally refer to a brake controller, sadly.

To elaborate further, not nearly all trailers even have brakes, and even trailers without brakes benefit from a vehicle's "trailer assist" features
I was actually thinking trailer assist is an automated backup feature.

Sponsored

cohall

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T
I was actually thinking trailer assist is an automated backup feature.
You are correct. They talk about it somewhere on the website, but I don’t remember exactly where.

Edit: found the reference.
  • Trailer Assistance: Helps with more difficult reverse maneuvers while you have a trailer attached.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla XLR+2019, Lexus, Landcruiser, R1T
Occupation
EE Retired
I think you'll find that most states require brakes on all trailers above a given size/weight. I rented a small U-haul once that didn't have them (never do that again) but that's the only trailer I have ever seen without them.

Take that back. I think I had a small trailer for my lawn mower that had none.

IHScout

First Name
Waid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevrolet Volt, Expedition
I have a camping trailer and utility trailer that both have trailer brakes. I take our camper on a 220 miles trip into the mountains from phoenix. I would prefer to have the controller built in rather than aftermarket.

Mjhirsch78

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Odyssey became an R1T: MAGIC!
Occupation
Teacher
We have a camping trailer and kayaking trailer, both without breaks. Each trailer is light enough for one person, even a smaller person, to move by hand once we get to a campsite or beach. Hadn’t thought about the trailer breaks thing.

jagged

First Name
Jeremiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Buick LaCrosse
Occupation
Principal Engineer
Clubs

More regen w/ no trailer brakes! :whew:

Sponsored

drhnbtx

First Name
Darren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
"22 R1T '07 FJ Cruiser, '13 Chevy 2500, '18 XC90
Rivian website has a statement that towing at max load will cut range by about 50%

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla XLR+2019, Lexus, Landcruiser, R1T
Occupation
EE Retired
Rivian website has a statement that towing at max load will cut range by about 50%
This is a perennial question. I've done all kinds of calculations and analysis and the answer is "It depends" but if pressed I'd say "Count on losing at least 50%"

azbill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
I think you'll find that most states require brakes on all trailers above a given size/weight. I rented a small U-haul once that didn't have them (never do that again) but that's the only trailer I have ever seen without them.

I have a boat trailer with hydraulic brakes, applied at the tongue, that work pretty well. That boat and trailer is 5000 lb. It includes a "break away" cable on it, which is required by law. If the trailer comes loose from the vehicle the braking will stop the trailer.

I also have a horse trailer that is rated for 7000 lbs and it only has a electric "break away" controller for the electric brakes. There is a battery on the trailer to power those, and a pull cable that turns them on. That trailer is not set up to use an electric brake controller from the vehicle, but I do think it can be modified to do that.

I also have a small, 1000 lb enclosed trailer with no brakes at all.

Smithery

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MX 100D, XC70, Cooper S JCW, R1T Large

I have a light utility trailer without brakes.

I've rented U-haul trailers without brakes.

I've had a motorcycle trailer without brakes.

I've rented U-haul trailers with *surge brakes* that didn't need a brake controller, and my grandpa had one too.

You might be surprised at how widely variable it is - https://drivinglaws.aaa.com/tag/trailer-brakes/

It's generally accepted to tow a trailer without brakes up to 40% of the weight of the towing vehicle.

I've certainly gone to 60% of my Model X's weight (legal in my state)

For every trailer you may need to tow that requires brakes, you might be ignoring the fact that there's 5 more smaller and lighter trailers out there that don't.

I, too, hope R1T has an integrated brake controller! But I also won't be surprised if it doesn't. It's certainly not a remotely hard requirement.

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)
Factory brake controllers are fairly standard on modern trucks, so I would be very surprised if Rivian didn't include one.
Sponsored