First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Volvo CX90 Recharge PHEV
Occupation
Medically retired 8/27/21
This one is a weird call for me, and it will probably depend on when I get my R1S.

My Tesla left us stranded in a hot parking lot in August, and I got the "get rid of it or I will" vibe from my wife. If we lived closer to a Service Center, and the whole experience wasn't a complete clusterffffudge, I would have pushed back. But she was right.

So now I'm in a 2021 XC90 PHEV, and there are some differences....The Volvo improved on the interior, ventilated seats, Heads-up, usable space when 3rd row is folded and when the seats are up (the XC's non-sloped roofline makes it more practical. I lost frunk space, and the under-trunk is only half the size of the Tesla's.

The Rivian will give me a frunk back, give me MORE rear storage, more offroad "chops" (which will come in handy in Maine winters on a camp road), be back to being in a BEV, and hopefully the interior and the noise levels are on par with the Volvo's, not the Tesla's.

Either way, looking forward to it....whenever it may end up happening.

OP
OP
SoCal Rob

SoCal Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S & VW ID.4
Occupation
Information Technology
Clubs

Trekkie

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 ID.4, 2022 Polestar 2, 2023.5 Defender 110
Occupation
IT Nerd
It'll let me drive a truck again since the late 1980s. I've never owned one due to the gas guzzling nature and my commutes. This will finally after a long time let me do it again, without contributing to things that are damaging what I love about the world.

Harvest

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Pilot, Rivian R1T Adventure Forest Green
Occupation
agriculture
I look forward to switching to the R1T from my Honda Pilot because:

- Not burning nearly as many fossil fuels (I plan to charge from solar as much as possible). I work in agriculture and climate change is really starting to affect our food production.

- Much quieter vehicle. Having grown up in the country I really appreciate quiet and being able to hear the sounds of nature.

- Smooth ride - the Rivian suspension sounds amazing.

- Greater versatility for hauling. We have a 7 acre property and I'm always hauling stuff for landscaping, carpentry projects, etc. High now I hook up a trailer to haul, but that's a bit of a pain.

- Better ground clearance for driving around on farms.

- Interesting and fun new technology, including safety features available at launch and more coming later with driving assistance.

- Better sound system for music.

Sponsored

bd5400

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, SL500
Clubs

The R1T won’t be our first electric vehicle, but it will be an excellent electric “near equivalent” to the GX 460 it will be replacing. They are both excellent off-road, good towing abilityheated steering wheels, ventilated seats, great stereos, and low maintenance (due to the GX’s reliability and the presumed lower maintenance of the R1T).​
While I will lose passenger capacity, I’ll gain greater cargo flexibility, MUCH better infotainment/UI, speed/power, driver assist features, huge glass roof (I’ll miss the moonroof), no need for gas, and just an all-around more modern vehicle.​
As much as I love my GX, it does often feel like a dinosaur, especially compared to our Model X.​

Mjhirsch78

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Odyssey became an R1T: MAGIC!
Occupation
Teacher
Short answer: You’re not alone. Subaru owners repeat it with me — no more oil leaks! If anyone needs me after my R1T is delivered I’ll be hosing off the oil slick on the floor of our garage/driveway. I’m told brake cleaner is good at degreasing concrete. Anybody got any other tips?
Too True.

I can’t wait to go off-reading for real and not worrying what part of the car will hit the first rock.

I can’t wait to simply own a pickup for the first time ever.

I can’t wait to not have to share a car with all 4 of us (Wife and 2 kids) for all driving. We have a second car, but it is old and I only rely on it in a crisis. Our schedules are tight and this will help clear that up.

The lists from other folks hit so much of the other stuff.

Driveout

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
none
The notoriety of being an early adopter ("Hey what is that?")
A better view ahead from sitting higher.
More justification for the solar on the roof of my home.
Off road prowess.
On road prowess.
A more comfortable ride.
New tech to learn and apply.
Freedom from hydrocarbons.
Convincing my wife to drive electric (perhaps a mistake when she falls in love)
Supporting a company that is trying to make a difference.

kurtlikevonnegut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T QM, Honda Odyssey
Clubs

1. Pulling up next to a mustang or Camaro (or Corvette) at a stoplight with two car seats and a set of golf clubs in the back, looking the other driver straight in the eye, and then proceeding to dust them off the line while cackling to myself
Thats it. That's the list.

Lyon

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S, Suburban, Sprinter, XC90
Occupation
Lawyer
I currently pick between my Model S and the family Suburban when I leave for the day. I’ve got to go through the list of the things I need to do and see which one I’m bringing. Some days there’s a kid with a bike that needs to be picked up, some days I’ve got to also have his golf clubs in the car, some days I’m going out the horse barn where my daughter takes lessons, some days my other kid has a XC meet and I’ll be parking in a muddy field….

I’m looking forward to just hopping in one thing and going.

Sponsored

Lyon

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S, Suburban, Sprinter, XC90
Occupation
Lawyer
  1. Pulling up next to a mustang or Camaro (or Corvette) at a stoplight with two car seats and a set of golf clubs in the back, looking the other driver straight in the eye, and then proceeding to dust them off the line while cackling to myself
Thats it. That's the list.
To be fair I’ve been doing that in a Model S since 2013 but I think it’ll be even sweeter when it’s a pickup.

irfan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Range Rover
I won’t have to pump gas when it’s freezing in winter. I have an L405 Range Rover and if this is 90% as smooth a ride (and it sounds like it’s a very smooth ride) the it will be a home run. I just want quiet, comfortable, and no gas station. Simple things.

MilliM

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Polestar 2
Even though my daughters are just graduating out of Indian Princesses I’m super excited about camping with them in the R1S. Loads of power (whether driving or parked), ability to do legit off-roading vs my XC90 with 21” all season tires, and super comfy for the kids in case inclement weather rolls in (while dad stays stuck in the tent). Blended drinks and string lights will be a campsite must :cool:

Assuming the R1S LE arrives before our March Joshua Tree outing there will be a ton of donuts happening on the dry lakebed off Twentynine Palms highway. The XC90 was fun doing that…the R1S will be next level.

IHScout

First Name
Waid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevrolet Volt, Expedition
We ditched our suburban due to its numerous flaws. We have been very happy with our Expedition but here goes.....

1. No more gas, only around 15mpg avg
2. Quiet while driving in the forest
3. Ridiculous torque while towing
4. Heated steering wheel (love it on my volt)
5. No more oil changes

888tom888

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3 Performance
Occupation
Self Storage
Can’t wait to get my R1S so I can get rid of my Tesla M3P. I miss being in an suv. Being up high feels great. Being in a launch edition Rivian will make it special.
Sponsored