Sponsored

DTown3011

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
I like the simplicity of the manual tonneau cover option for $800.
I just wish they would SHOW US the manual option at some point soon.
Sponsored

Guy

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda 6, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Scientist
Clubs

So if Rivian do not have a new powered option until next summer then that means 10,000 plus trucks have manual/no cover and no option to fit one later. That is then almost half the R1Ts built - does give some credence to the thought there will not be a PTC in the future.

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
I guess my point with the level of effort is that it is probably going to be costly to have them install a powered Tonneau cover after the fact. I am including two pictures....you can see how the shelf is set up for the cover...which is where I assume the manual one fits as well. I would be that the wiring harness is already in place (comes up the side of the bed) on all trucks. And as you can see in the second picture, the tonneau cover is fully self-contained, including the motor, so it just plugs into the pigtail.

Bed.jpg

cover.jpg
Thank you for the photos. I think we are actually mostly in agreement on this. It certainly would be nice (and smart) for Rivian to allow for any bed to be retrofitted with the powered cover. If the customer wants to pay for it, why not sell it to them? That’s why I didn’t understand why they would sell the people who order no tonneau a truck with a bed that is designed differently so they can’t even add the manual version? That’s not official but Rivian CS has told multiple people that is coming.

Your photos actually bring up another good question for me: With a manual or no tonneau truck is there any reinforcement behind the composite bed panel in that section where the cover would sit? If I haul something heavy and it hits that area will it punch through into that void?

You can see in this pic from another thread the tonneau fills that space perfectly and I can’t see anything behind the front bed panel. It would be better if something was there instead of it just being empty. If those were your photos you shared then obviously this is nothing new to you because you’ve actually seen it disassemble💯

Rivian R1T R1S Rivian Email: Update on the Tonneau Cover for Your R1T 1668725458848

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
I just wish they would SHOW US the manual option at some point soon.
I spoke with my guide this afternoon and he said even though he has never seen it (and he works in Normal), they recently had a meeting in which they were told there would be some social media videos of it out there s00n.

MXA121

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T and Model 3
Removed mine from Configuration. I'll go aftermarket for a cover. A shame - since I thought it was a really nice feature to have.

Sponsored

mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Model Y
Owners do get a 5/60k warranty on the factory cover. Not so sure about the aftermarket units.

Something to keep in mind since most original owners will sell the truck around year 3-4.

gpellerin

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T Adventure, Mazda Cx5,
Occupation
Consulting
If I’m not mistaken, the manual tonneau is just 4 slats that are intended to be stored in the gear tunnel when not in use

edit: found the Rivian wording:
  • Our manual tonneau cover is comprised of four interlocking panels constructed of a durable aluminum composite that slide in and out of the bed’s integrated siderails. When not in use, the panels store in a cargo bag and fit easily in the Gear Tunnel.
Interesting. I would assume (deliberate use of the word) that the spot for the powered cover is just empty space.

jollyroger

First Name
Jeffrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla model 3, R1T
Occupation
IT Manager
At least now that Rivian has switched my powered tonneau to manual, it didn't throw my estimate into "pending" state.

Prime

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MY(P), Rivian R1T
I had a manual configured already, confirmed my config last Monday. Haven’t gotten my 8 steps yet, guide said “should be before the end of the week”. I wonder if they are removing the auto tonneau from some already made R1Ts, taking time to remake the window stickers and assigning those to the (seems like more than usual) people to get their confirm config emails last week.
Confirmed around the same time, my guide had no idea when 8 steps would come said anytime within the Dec-Jan delivery window. Interesting your guide was pretty confident the 8 steps was coming soon.

OnceYouGoJack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
At least now that Rivian has switched my powered tonneau to manual, it didn't throw my estimate into "pending" state.
I called them to see if I should be switching it, they said go for it, it won't affect delivery. I changed to manual and still had my Dec-Jan window. Then switched it back to powered and still no "processing". Seems tonneau had no effect. I saw another guy who changed his wheels and got super delayed.

Sponsored

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

I guess my point with the level of effort is that it is probably going to be costly to have them install a powered Tonneau cover after the fact. I am including two pictures....you can see how the shelf is set up for the cover...which is where I assume the manual one fits as well. I would be that the wiring harness is already in place (comes up the side of the bed) on all trucks. And as you can see in the second picture, the tonneau cover is fully self-contained, including the motor, so it just plugs into the pigtail.

Bed.jpg

cover.jpg
Having the vents there is brilliant. I opened my bed after brushing as much snow off as I could. Loaded tires and wheels into the bed to take to the tire store. When I unloaded and closed the bed again, it was all warm and wet instead of being frozen. Not sure if it'll end up frozen closed now, but at least it didn't get frozen in the cartridge.

zefram47

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, C6 Corvette GS
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

Removed mine from Configuration. I'll go aftermarket for a cover. A shame - since I thought it was a really nice feature to have.
Rivian has said that if you don't select the manual cover then at some point you won't receive a truck with rails. Kinda stupid, but that's what they've said recently.

waitinginvain

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S
Occupation
Software
When they first announced this I asked the online chat if/when I'd be able to purchase it later, if it would still be discounted, etc.

In explicit, non-ambiguous language, they stated that there is no plan to create or offer a powered cover.

Forever may be a long time and things change, sure, but don't get your hopes up that this is going to happen months/years after your transaction. Some have argued that they can't just refund the cost to current owners -- and while that may legally be true, I've yet to see anyone say they'd demand a full refund/return on their truck over this. Everyone says they love their vehicle despite the drawbacks. It would be a drop in the bucket for Rivian to buyout the few holdouts who wants to give up their pre-march pricing over the cover.

And as a Tesla owner since 2015, it is a massive mistake to think these companies are going to come through for you in time. They care less and less every day as their market grows and your warranty window slips into history.

I really hope Rivian is different, but considering how hard they're struggling, I'd expect this kind of stuff to be extremely low priority. They're sunk if they get hung up on these unnecessary details (as cool as it was and I wish it worked, obviously)

NY_Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Model 3 LR AWD, 2017 BMW i3 REX, 2023 R1T
Occupation
IT
Adding a Rivian OEM powered tonneau after vehicle purchase has about a 0.0001% chance of ever happening IMO. And, by some miracle if it ever does happen.. it sure won't be $1,500 either.

If you're that adamant about having a powered tonneau and you get a "Confirm/lock your configuration" email from Rivian.. delay your delivery till the new design is being deployed (or you can't wait any longer), your Guide will make that easy to do.

Last edited:

OnceYouGoJack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Adding a Rivian OEM powered tonneau after vehicle purchase has about a 0.0001% chance of ever happening IMO. And, by some miracle if it ever does happen.. it sure won't be $1,500 either.
But now do you defer delivery until the powered one is available or take the manual and run?
Sponsored