First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
You say "eventually no tonneau trucks will have a different bed design...". According to my guide this is already the case. I had started my 8 steps, had a VIN, and then was told my truck had no tonneau configured (manual or otherwise). When I told the guide I would take the manual tonneau, she said my truck bed would not support it. As a result, I lost my spot in line when she added the manual tonneau. Not more VIN or delivery. And my 8 steps disappeared from my profile.
Ugh, that sucks. Were you already in the 8 steps when Rivian changed that? I got an email a couple weeks ago that was pretty specific about checking my configuration before confirming it. Then my guide wanted to actually go over everything before confirming as well. I wish there was a standard process that everyone went through that could iron this out. I'm sorry man.
Sponsored

SCV-Dave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Bolt, Chevy Colorado, Honda Accord
Occupation
Sales
Ugh, that sucks. Were you already in the 8 steps when Rivian changed that? I got an email a couple weeks ago that was pretty specific about checking my configuration before confirming it. Then my guide wanted to actually go over everything before confirming as well. I wish there was a standard process that everyone went through that could iron this out. I'm sorry man.
Thanks. I was through all the steps up to insurance. Unfortunately when I confirmed my configuration, I was unaware they removed the tonneau from the Adventure trim at the time. I didn't know about that until I asked my Guide. It's been nothing but crickets for weeks now. I have no idea what is going on. It's kinda like getting info from an airline on your delayed flight. Not a chance. :)

Prime

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MY(P), Rivian R1T
After visiting an open house from rivian and spending fair amount of time with rivian people all i can say that manual tonneau cover is simple four wider aluminum extruded planks which you manually slide in to existing rails one at a time from the gate side and close the gate , same way you can remove them one at a time and put in your gear tunnel 🤷
Did you have hands on with the manual cover or was this just discussed during conversation. My understanding was they’re interlocking panels, correct? Not just sliding against each other? I pictured it similar to the auto tonneau interlocking panels just wider.

windblowlc

First Name
Loc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche 911 Turbo S, Porsche Cayenne Turbo Coupe
Occupation
Retired
Did you have hands on with the manual cover or was this just discussed during conversation. My understanding was they’re interlocking panels, correct? Not just sliding against each other? I pictured it similar to the auto tonneau interlocking panels just wider.
With a manual interlocking cover, I'd imagine you lock the next one in place before you slide the preceding panel in all the way.

Sponsored

Bikermomjudi

First Name
Judi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Clubs

I think it's very likely the powered tonneau cover is not coming back. It's a giant resource suck and the design is fundamentally flawed with too much possibility for dirt and debris to make it inoperable.

I'm glad I have it and mine works ok as long as I lubricate the slates monthly, but I'm not sure Rivian wants to be dealing with these things for years to come. Much better to just bail on it.
I think it's very likely the powered tonneau cover is not coming back. It's a giant resource suck and the design is fundamentally flawed with too much possibility for dirt and debris to make it inoperable.

I'm glad I have it and mine works ok as long as I lubricate the slates monthly, but I'm not sure Rivian wants to be dealing with these things for years to come. Much better to just bail on it.

Can you explain exactly what you use and how you lubricate the slats? I really like having the power cover. You are right about the debris, even a little snow will stop it.

Ralph

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Outback
When I confirmed my pre-order with my guide 10 days ago, we had quite a discussion about the auto-tonneau. It started with me asking if I should remove it. She insisted *she* remove it and per my direction, add the manual cover. Subsequently, I still have the same Dec-Jan window; now showing "processing estimate".

During that discussion she noted that the only prototype design for a manual cover that she had seen allowed for the panels to be "removed and stacked vertically against the back of the cab". I liked that idea - a lot. I did not think to ask if they inter-locked.

She was careful to note that there may be other prototype's being tested but she was not personally aware of any. "This one may or may not be the manual delivered".

As Rivian has only previously discussed storage in the gear tunnel, perhaps the version she saw is just one prototype iteration. And *if* the the design of the manual cover has not been selected, that *might* explain why no one has ever seen one.

Obviously, there is no way to really know much of anything.

I do hope they error on lots of testing and confirmation the cover will be suitable for it's intended use when it is eventually delivered.

Toha

First Name
Anton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Forester
Occupation
Industrial mechanic
I asked them to have a look, they said it’s still in works but yes they will be interlocking panels almost identical to auto ones just wider .

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
When I confirmed my pre-order with my guide 10 days ago, we had quite a discussion about the auto-tonneau. It started with me asking if I should remove it. She insisted *she* remove it and per my direction, add the manual cover. Subsequently, I still have the same Dec-Jan window; now showing "processing estimate".

During that discussion she noted that the only prototype design for a manual cover that she had seen allowed for the panels to be "removed and stacked vertically against the back of the cab". I liked that idea - a lot. I did not think to ask if they inter-locked.

She was careful to note that there may be other prototype's being tested but she was not personally aware of any. "This one may or may not be the manual delivered".

As Rivian has only previously discussed storage in the gear tunnel, perhaps the version she saw is just one prototype iteration. And *if* the the design of the manual cover has not been selected, that *might* explain why no one has ever seen one.

Obviously, there is no way to really know much of anything.

I do hope they error on lots of testing and confirmation the cover will be suitable for it's intended use when it is eventually delivered.
That’s actually a great idea, if that’s what they plan to do. Last week my guide said he had not seen any manual versions yet, but the topic is now coming up in meetings and they were told some pics and/ or video would be out there for the public s00n.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

So does this mean that the Silverado, Sierra Denali, Cyber truck and Hummer all have powered tonneau covers? ... asking for a friend.
If you want to experience diminishing hopes then I recommend placing 100% of your hopes into the Cybertruck. If you think you will have a better ownership experience with the Hummer EV knock yourself out.
Are there any trucks with factory powered tonneau covers currently available?
The Hummer SUT has an option for one, I was probably the first person to get one. It had all kinds of issues with losing the calibration and they ended up needing to replace the entire first series of controllers for it, as well as coming up with a shim kit to square it off better since there is too much variability in the squareness of the pickup box. I spoke with an engineer that worked on the cover, he said they don't have plans for the other GM vehicles as of now.

I wouldn't be surprised to find out the squareness issue they were having on the Hummer's cover is one of the things that Rivian didn't or can't account for.

Sponsored

Ralph

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Outback
That’s actually a great idea, if that’s what they plan to do. Last week my guide said he had not seen any manual versions yet, but the topic is now coming up in meetings and they were told some pics and/ or video would be out there for the public s00n.
I believe my guides statement is consistent with yours. My guide (in Normal) appears to have seen "designs", not parts. Being able to store the panels outside of the gear tunnel would be a huge plus.

Prolost

First Name
Stu
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T, Tesla Model Y
Occupation
Film, Photo, Software
...I'm glad I have it and mine works ok as long as I lubricate the slates monthly, but I'm not sure Rivian wants to be dealing with these things for years to come. Much better to just bail on it.
Sorry if this has been answerered already, but what do you use to lubricate the slats?

goldburger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
My guide told me today that *all* trucks right now have tonneau rails so even if you select no tonneau you get rails— which means you can buy the manual panels later once it exists if you’d like… and that makes me wonder if one day the new powered cover will be available for sale— it’s the same rails right? Rivian is not known for consistency so maybe there’s a chance with some expensive service?

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
I'm just confused how they don't have product for the manual cover yet.
Sponsored