Sponsored

Rivian confirms no Meridian Sound System in my R1S. It has in-house audio system

NineElectrics

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
I am not sure anyone would rate it a 10 though. Tbh, I think I liked the Lexicon system in my GV70 as well as the system in my Model 3 Performance more.
I agree. Model X and Model 3 systems are superior, in my experience. I think a lot of it comes down to the 3D post processing that Apple pioneered in iTunes and now both Tesla and Rivian do.
Sponsored

Deleted member 11292

I also wish they would switch to a dealership model. When you can test drive the actual car you might drive off the lot, it goes along way towards a fair trade. You know exactly what you are getting. You can check what audio system you have! And if course with a dealership the manufacturer doesn’t have you over a barrel with a monopoly on service.
I dunno. I'm currently working with a dealership to buy a car and have spent the last two weeks and I don't know how many emails just to get them to remove BS warranties and documentation/licensing/registration fees off of the quote. They literally marked the car up by $5k and then put a $5k "discount" onto the quote and then added almost $2k in fees and warranties.

I do NOT like this setup where you pay for a car before you can even drive it, but at least you can reject it or bring it back without any penalty. And you just pay what they're charging and don't have to worry about if you got ripped off relative to somebody else.

There's good and bad to each approach, but I can't say going to the dealership model is a good answer.

RWerksman

Site Sponsor
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep & R1T
OP’s original post was the most “butt hurt” I’ve seen here in awhile. Especially when he admitted he didn’t even know he was using 2 different systems until he read it here. :giggle:

Maybe if OP had not threatened to sue Rivian and attempt to paint himself as a victim of some scam their post would have been received differently. If you’re going to act like a Karen don’t complain when you get called out on it.
His post was in poor taste and more aggressive than it should have been. That posting doesn't give us permission to be hostile in return though.

I've been lucky enough to interact with hundreds of Rivian owners of the last year in the course of peddling my warez and tons more through my extensive posting here. I've been consistently impressed by how lovely we are on balance - it's really a humbling and gratifying experience. This thread however, and a few others like it, are really disappointing.

Some folks have a bad experience or get shafted somehow. Instead of empathizing with their situation (and realizing that, you know, it could be us instead) we gravitate to one particular point and set phasers on douche.

Get a vehicle delivered with what is perceived to be an inferior audio system? You said something wrong in your post, so get rekt.

Get your R1T stuck in the snow and get socked with a $1,600 (or whatever) tow bill? Tough shit, buddy. Don't do stupid stuff in it. It doesn't matter that someone didn't know how to remotely reset it - you deserve that bill.

I'm obviously paraphrasing here, but I've observed the sentiment in both cases to be very real - either on this site or in other online forums with Rivian discussions. Beyond that, I think it has the risk of driving people away, just like the Tesla or worse, the Viper communities do.

I'm sorry if I'm coming off as that guy. This just makes me sad as it's so far beneath us.

OP
OP

Tim Dora

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T 2022 , R1S 2023
Clubs

Upon reflection, I am still disappointed. I don’t see how eliminating two speakers would result in the system sounding the same. This is the first vehicle I have ever purchased that was not through a dealer. In my experience, a dealer would have advised the buyer of a change like this. If I had been told of the change, I still would have bought it. I ordered it in April of 2019. I have been a Rivian advocate. After my overall experience with the Rivian service issues, quality issues and the purchasing experience, I would hesitate to recommend Rivian. The truck is awesome but the company isn’t that great. Rivian is like a box of chocolates. You never know what you’re going to get.

The personal attacks don’t bother me. It’s common in today’s society.

Deleted member 11292

Upon reflection, I am still disappointed. I don’t see how eliminating two speakers would result in the system sounding the same. This is the first vehicle I have ever purchased that was not through a dealer. In my experience, a dealer would have advised the buyer of a change like this. If I had been told of the change, I still would have bought it. I ordered it in April of 2019. I have been a Rivian advocate. After my overall experience with the Rivian service issues, quality issues and the purchasing experience, I would hesitate to recommend Rivian. The truck is awesome but the company isn’t that great. Rivian is like a box of chocolates. You never know what you’re going to get.

The personal attacks don’t bother me. It’s common in today’s society.
I think you just got a little too excited and then a little too depressed. It's a new car company, constantly beat down in the press, just trying to get through the next quarter in very hard times. They are not trying to communicate poorly and there's no upside to screwing you over. None.

Starting a new car company is hard. Speakers for somebody who can afford not one but TWO $80k vehicles is trivial. I'm not trying to be a fanboi, but complaining about it in your case does feel very Karen.

You posted a whole long list of features that you KNOW Rivian has removed over time, so you are aware it has been happening. And yet, a Meridian sound system is CRITICAL to your enjoyment of the vehicle, but you don't even check it hasn't been changed??

I'm in the process of buying an Audi right now, still on the boat in from Europe, and I can't even tell you how many times I've had the dealership confirm the features since the window sticker has yet to be generated. And I haven't even put the deposit down.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sponsored

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
His post was in poor taste and more aggressive than it should have been. That posting doesn't give us permission to be hostile in return though.

I've been lucky enough to interact with hundreds of Rivian owners of the last year in the course of peddling my warez and tons more through my extensive posting here. I've been consistently impressed by how lovely we are on balance - it's really a humbling and gratifying experience. This thread however, and a few others like it, are really disappointing.

Some folks have a bad experience or get shafted somehow. Instead of empathizing with their situation (and realizing that, you know, it could be us instead) we gravitate to one particular point and set phasers on douche.

Get a vehicle delivered with what is perceived to be an inferior audio system? You said something wrong in your post, so get rekt.

Get your R1T stuck in the snow and get socked with a $1,600 (or whatever) tow bill? Tough shit, buddy. Don't do stupid stuff in it. It doesn't matter that someone didn't know how to remotely reset it - you deserve that bill.

I'm obviously paraphrasing here, but I've observed the sentiment in both cases to be very real - either on this site or in other online forums with Rivian discussions. Beyond that, I think it has the risk of driving people away, just like the Tesla or worse, the Viper communities do.

I'm sorry if I'm coming off as that guy. This just makes me sad as it's so far beneath us.
Rob, I respect and appreciate your opinion. And I’m glad you have had so many positive experiences with Rivian owners. I truly hope that continues.

I am also a business owner and unfortunately the Karen-like behavior exhibited by OP and the guy who got stuck in the snow, etc., etc., etc…. is all too common lately. They aren’t accountable for anything - not reading what they sign - not reading a manual , and will complain to anyone willing to listen how they were screwed over. Always a victim. Always sharing only part of the story. For some reason these people feel they don’t need to follow the same rules the rest of us do.

Sign a purchase agreement that very clearly says you are not guaranteed a specific configuration (for obvious reasons), then publicly complain about changes that were made to your configuration. Even laughably threaten to sure the manufacturer. Then complain about being “attacked” when you are called out for it.

Don’t read the owners guide, then get your Rivian stuck in the snow. Get it towed without putting it in tow mode. None of that is his fault - just get your brother with a large twitter following to whine about it to the entire internet and do interviews about how bad Rivian is. Apparently it’s Rivian’s responsibility to surgically implant the knowledge in the guide into each owners brain.

At my business we have people not bother to look up our hours (posted in multiple places), then leave a bad review when they show up and we are closed. Or threaten to sue us or even call the police because they failed to read the brief but important agreements we require everyone sign. Agreements we created so there are no misunderstandings about what we do and what the risks are. People who treat my staff like crap, making it harder to keep employees, then turn around and complain that we always have new faces helping them.

I have had to deal with more than my fair share of this type of whiny entitlement and from my experience the absolute worst thing you can do is enable the people who act this way. They need to be reminded this is not normal. Threatening to sue a carmaker because you don’t want to honor the agreement you signed is not normal. Acting like a victim because some people call out your privilege is also not normal.

If OP didn’t mean what he said, there are plenty of words in the English language that can be put together to walk it back. He hasn’t done that. He has come back to complain more about Rivian being a bad company (nevermind they owed him no explanation) and being “attacked” personally (Always the victim).

I haven’t posted anything in this thread or any other thread that I wouldn’t say directly to OP or anyone else if we were in the same room. And I will continue to speak out when people act this way, whether it’s here or in the lobby at my own business. The only way this behavior stops is if it becomes unacceptable again.

OP
OP

Tim Dora

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T 2022 , R1S 2023
Clubs

I agree. Well said. I was very disappointed and expressed myself poorly. I agree with the lack of civility in our society. I hope to participate in a resurgence in civility. I apologize to anyone offended. Tim

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
I agree. Well said. I was very disappointed and expressed myself poorly. I agree with the lack of civility in our society. I hope to participate in a resurgence in civility. I apologize to anyone offended. Tim
We have all been disappointed and we all have said things in a way we might not otherwise. Just to be clear, I don’t think you owe anyone here an apology. Obviously it’s ok to not like the decisions Rivian makes while also acknowledging they have a right to do it. I hope the annoyance of having the 2 audio systems wears off and you get back to just enjoying your Rivians as much as possible🙂

Zoidz

First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 R1S Adv, Avalanche, BMWs-X3,330cic,K1200RS bike
Occupation
Engineer
So the Rivian Elevation system still has a Meridian amp pictured? Then the only difference is the elimination of the two speakers in the rear doors? I realize I get critized for thinking the system sounds different. However, wouldn't the original Meridian system sound different due to the elimination of two speakers? Clearly two speakers have been eliminated. I guess its good news for my "butt"!
Maybe, maybe not. We generally think that more is better, eliminating something is inferior, etc. But the reality is, considering how many speakers are in the vehicle, it's unlikely the delete of those 2 speakers is going to be audibly noticeable. A vehicle has all sorts of audio reflective surfaces inside, sound from all speakers is bouncing everywhere.

I'm not defending Rivian, but rather pointing out other possibilities. What if the two speakers added a bit too much midrange and the delete creates a more neutral sound? What if the midrange speaker is constrained and Rivian had to choose do this to optimize production, like they claim is the stuation with the 12 volt outlet?

RWerksman

Site Sponsor
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep & R1T
Rob, I respect and appreciate your opinion. And I’m glad you have had so many positive experiences with Rivian owners. I truly hope that continues.

I am also a business owner and unfortunately the Karen-like behavior exhibited by OP and the guy who got stuck in the snow, etc., etc., etc…. is all too common lately. They aren’t accountable for anything - not reading what they sign - not reading a manual , and will complain to anyone willing to listen how they were screwed over. Always a victim. Always sharing only part of the story. For some reason these people feel they don’t need to follow the same rules the rest of us do.

Sign a purchase agreement that very clearly says you are not guaranteed a specific configuration (for obvious reasons), then publicly complain about changes that were made to your configuration. Even laughably threaten to sure the manufacturer. Then complain about being “attacked” when you are called out for it.

Don’t read the owners guide, then get your Rivian stuck in the snow. Get it towed without putting it in tow mode. None of that is his fault - just get your brother with a large twitter following to whine about it to the entire internet and do interviews about how bad Rivian is. Apparently it’s Rivian’s responsibility to surgically implant the knowledge in the guide into each owners brain.

At my business we have people not bother to look up our hours (posted in multiple places), then leave a bad review when they show up and we are closed. Or threaten to sue us or even call the police because they failed to read the brief but important agreements we require everyone sign. Agreements we created so there are no misunderstandings about what we do and what the risks are. People who treat my staff like crap, making it harder to keep employees, then turn around and complain that we always have new faces helping them.

I have had to deal with more than my fair share of this type of whiny entitlement and from my experience the absolute worst thing you can do is enable the people who act this way. They need to be reminded this is not normal. Threatening to sue a carmaker because you don’t want to honor the agreement you signed is not normal. Acting like a victim because some people call out your privilege is also not normal.

If OP didn’t mean what he said, there are plenty of words in the English language that can be put together to walk it back. He hasn’t done that. He has come back to complain more about Rivian being a bad company (nevermind they owed him no explanation) and being “attacked” personally (Always the victim).

I haven’t posted anything in this thread or any other thread that I wouldn’t say directly to OP or anyone else if we were in the same room. And I will continue to speak out when people act this way, whether it’s here or in the lobby at my own business. The only way this behavior stops is if it becomes unacceptable again.
Thanks, Brian. I appreciate the response. I calling out anyone. Yours was just the comment that I responded to. No offense intended.

Before what I do here, I was (and am) the US importer for a automotive/power sports product. Before that I ran a variety of e-commerce sites for motorcycle communities. Between them all, my company has processed tens of thousands of orders, probably well into six figures at this point. I've encountered people just like you describe., and still occasionally do even with Rivian owners. I see what you see, I hate it, and you're right. I've also found there are tons of shades of grey.

Yes, Tim posted distasteful stuff. Stuck-in-snow guy arguably wasn't as literate on the vehicle as he needed to be. I feel like both had legitimate issues though. Tim was expecting a feature and delivered less than what he expected with no communication. Stuck-in-snow guy reached a tech that likely didn't troubleshoot it correctly, which started the ball rolling his entire predicament. Both were wrong yet also right.

I guess where I'm going is this - We've all had poor, emotion laded responses in the past. We all have bad days. We all make judgement calls that would have swung the other way with more information or that wouldn't have happened assuming a more elegant operating environment.

I'm pretty damn far from a religious guy, but I do believe that blessed are the merciful because they will receive mercy. I just hoped to see more of that here.

Sponsored

Donald Stanfield

First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2024 BMW i4 M50
Occupation
Stuff and things

This is my view as well. The amount of pure entitlement I deal with on a daily basis is mind boggling. I don't know if things were always this way or if society is just getting worse but it seems that a non insignificant amount of people seem to think that everyone else in society lives to serve them and when they don't get their way everyone else should stop and change their diaper and powder their bottoms. I don't usually complain about it on here because I am paid very well, and overall I like my job, most importantly this isn't the proper forum for it.

I come here to relax and talk about a vehicle that I happen to really enjoy. I have no other socials, I have left them all due to this entitlement behavior and people feeling the need to share their shit tier political opinions at every opportunity. So when someone comes here into this forum and does one of those things I lose my shit.

Step Brady

First Name
Step
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
911 TT, Ford Expedition L
It seems so different than their press releases:

Rivian selects Meridian Audio for Electric SUVs and Trucks.
Meridian has been collaborating with Rivian for more than 12 months and has been focused on designing, engineering, and tuning high-performance audio experiences that will embody Rivian’s

Rivian Skimps on Meridian Elevation Audio System, Owners Are Up in Arms
Home > News > U-turn
22 Mar 2023, 19:12 UTC• By:
Cristian Agatie
Rivian R1T R1S Rivian confirms no Meridian Sound System in my R1S. It has in-house audio system cristian-agatie-64

https://www.autoevolution.com/news/...udio-system-owners-are-up-in-arms-212233.html

Prime

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MY(P), Rivian R1T
I’m with you. If the M3 system were a 9, Meridian is probably a 7.5-8 or so. It’s decent, but you have to turn it up to 20+ volume to get there.
Agree. Compared to our model y from 2021, the meridian is a step lower in soundstage, bass, and clarity with several less speakers. I doubt the Rivian branded system will be noticeably different because at some point speaker count doesn’t matter anymore, mostly the same components and maybe different DSP.

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
This is my view as well. The amount of pure entitlement I deal with on a daily basis is mind boggling. I don't know if things were always this way or if society is just getting worse but it seems that a non insignificant amount of people seem to think that everyone else in society lives to serve them and when they don't get their way everyone else should stop and change their diaper and powder their bottoms. I don't usually complain about it on here because I am paid very well, and overall I like my job, most importantly this isn't the proper forum for it.

I come here to relax and talk about a vehicle that I happen to really enjoy. I have no other socials, I have left them all due to this entitlement behavior and people feeling the need to share their shit tier political opinions at every opportunity. So when someone comes here into this forum and does one of those things I lose my shit.
There has always been a small percentage of people acting like this, but I don’t recall it ever being this bad. It seemed to shift that direction during the pandemic, but it isn’t entirely clear to me why some people’s brains were broken by that and others weren’t. Either way it just sucks For anyone who has to deal with them every day (as you well know). Our approach is to just back up our staff as human beings, even when they make a mistake (as humans are prone to do sometimes). If customers can’t behave like human beings we ban or blacklist them.

I actually don’t think @Tim Dora is one of those people based on his recent post, but his original post in this thread had that same pattern to it that I am now very tuned into. It’s just not something I would ever complain about because I know I signed that agreement saying Rivian can change the configurations anytime they feel like it. If I didn’t want that to happen I shouldn’t have placed my order. I do understand his desire to have some warning of the change, but I think he happened to take delivery in the awkward period of time before Rivian got the word out to all their employees. That is bound to happen during the period where deliveries of both types are still happening.

I’m sorry you have to deal with it too. Stay strong!:muscle:

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

I might not have been so harsh to the stuck in snow guy if I encountered him in the wild, and likely would have attempted to help unstick him, but I still would have been laughing about him not knowing the auto-park safety while I explained it to him. I probably would have still chastised him for not reading the manual for a vehicle that's been for sale for the better part of a year now. Especially after having been in line for the reservation for it as long as he had been.
Sponsored