Sponsored

Rivian confirms no Meridian Sound System in my R1S. It has in-house audio system

Tim Dora

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T 2022 , R1S 2023
Clubs

I picked up a new R1T at the Normal plant before Thanksgiving. I ordered the R1T and R1S in April of 2019. I picked up the R1S on March 14th at the Normal plant. I just asked my guide if the R1S has a Meridian sound system that I ordered. He informed me that it does not. It has the Rivian in-house audio system. I was never told by anyone at Rivian that there was a change to the sound system. I don't think this is right. I ordered an R1S with a Meridian sound system. Rivian did a bait and switch and snuck in a different sounds system without advising me.

I think the R1T Meridian system sounds much better than the R1S Rivian system.

Here is the guides explanation:

Hi Timothy,

Thanks for reaching out. I just checked your R1S and it looks like it comes with the in-house designed audio system.

We made the decision to develop our own audio solution in order to bring an auditory experience to our owners that is completely tailored to our R1 vehicle interiors. Our testing has shown listeners prefer the Rivian in-house audio through all dynamic ranges and music genres.

The in-house Rivian Elevation Audio system allows the R1 vehicles to use a common 1,200 Watt, 18-channel amplifier.

Stay adventurous,
William
Rivian Guide

Phone: 1-888-712-3204
SMS: +13092372791
Email: [email protected]
Hours of Operation: M-F 8:30 AM- 5:00 CST

Click here to schedule a call with me.

Has anyone else had a similar experience? You just can't trust Rivian.

Perhaps I have legal recourse against Rivian. I am so disappointed in this company. They just don't communicate with customers.

Tim

Dr. Ann C. Collins, MD
Sponsored

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

1. No Obligations
Each Preorder you submit for a Vehicle acts as a deposit for a future purchase of the Vehicle. You are under no obligation to purchase a Vehicle from us, and we are under no obligation to supply you with a Vehicle.

These Terms do not constitute an agreement for the sale of a Vehicle and do not lock in pricing, a firm production slot, a firm delivery date, or specific Vehicle configuration. To complete the purchase or lease of a Vehicle, you will need to execute Rivian’s standard final Rivian Motor Vehicle Purchase Agreement (“Final Sales Agreement”) which will include additional terms and conditions, including the final price sheet for the vehicle you ultimately select (“Your Selected Vehicle”). The Final Sales Agreement may be made with another Rivian entity. Additional payment for Your Selected Vehicle, including taxes and other governmental fees, will be required at that time.

7. Vehicle Configuration and Battery Range
You understand that we may not have completed the development of the Vehicle or begun manufacturing the Vehicle at the time of your Preorder and specifications are subject to change at any time. You understand battery range and other available features have not yet been determined and may change, even after features are announced. By agreeing to these Terms, you represent and warrant to us that you understand that the Vehicle configuration may change prior to execution of any Final Sales Agreement.

OP
OP

Tim Dora

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T 2022 , R1S 2023
Clubs

Thanks for the info. I thought they would have legal language that allows them to do whatever they want. I like the truck but I have come to despise the company. it is not a luxury car company. They are not customer oriented. They just don't care. Perhaps they are trying to get rid of the early deposit customers so they don't have to loose money on the vehicle. Originally, I was so excited about this company. I told all my friends about it for years. It is so disappointing.

No tonneau cover, no tank turn, no camp kitchen, not gear tunnel shuttle, no Meridian sound system. What's next? Get rid of the wheels?

OP
OP

Tim Dora

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T 2022 , R1S 2023
Clubs

I already took delivery. They didn't tell me they changed the sound system. I found out about it on this forum two weeks after I had it sitting in my garage. I guess my only recourse is to share my experience with other potential customers. You cannot trust Rivian.

Sponsored

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
I already took delivery. They didn't tell me they changed the sound system. I found out about it on this forum two weeks after I had it sitting in my garage. I guess my only recourse is to share my experience with other potential customers. You cannot trust Rivian.
So you have a 2022 R1T and a 2023 R1S? Do you have them both already? Do they have different sound systems? Can you compare them?

freshpow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
So you have a 2022 R1T and a 2023 R1S? Do you have them both already? Do they have different sound systems? Can you compare them?
He did compare them. He thinks the Meridian system sounds much better and wants to sue Rivian. :)

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
He did compare them. He thinks the Meridian system sounds much better and wants to sue Rivian. :)
Thanks I went back and read the whole thread.

I am curious why it took a couple of weeks and only realized it reading the forum it must sound pretty close otherwise I would assume he would have opened a ticket to have it checked.

s4wrxttcs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Engineer
I'm not too happy with Rivian not delivering on what was promised, but you have a case where the name brand is different. Plus its a very separate line item.

Things I'm not happy with:

I thought my R1T would have a heated Steering wheel. At best its luke warm, and this is even after they changed it out. Why they changed it out with something equally as bad while telling me my previous one was "on the low end" is anyones guess.

I thought the adaptive cruise control would actually work in moderate rain like any other adaptive cruise control vehicle. But, no it suffers from the "camera is blurred" issue where it suddenly turns off.

I thought the wipers would at least work with expected speeds. But, nope its slow compared at maximum wiping speed compared to other systems. The auto setting also doesn't wipe fast enough. What's really funny is sometimes when I push the button for manual wipe the wiper will freeze up for a second or so. It's like I made it glitch.

They said "at release" that we'd have hands free driver+ and lane change assist, but they're still missing. I don't mind this one so much as at least they didn't release it a sucky version of them. :p

s4wrxttcs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Engineer
He said " Perhaps I have legal recourse against Rivian. "

Which doesn't necessary mean sue.

I don't see anything wrong with complaining as sometimes whining wins. :)

I got $5K or so from Tesla because someone at Electrek.co whined to Elon.

Sponsored

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
Thanks for the info. I thought they would have legal language that allows them to do whatever they want. I like the truck but I have come to despise the company. it is not a luxury car company. They are not customer oriented. They just don't care. Perhaps they are trying to get rid of the early deposit customers so they don't have to loose money on the vehicle. Originally, I was so excited about this company. I told all my friends about it for years. It is so disappointing.

No tonneau cover, no tank turn, no camp kitchen, not gear tunnel shuttle, no Meridian sound system. What's next? Get rid of the wheels?
All automakers have that language in the purchase order and all automakers change the builds based on all kinds of things, like parts availability (12v outlets), items that don't work as planned (powered tonneau), or items they feel they can maintain better as in house solutions (stereo system).

You may disagree with all of those decisions, but they are well within their rights to make those changes.

I do find it funny you had both systems for 2 weeks and didn't even notice there was a difference until you read about the change here. That is about as objective a test as one could get and you didn't catch it. Then, suddenly you feel the Meridian branded system is so much better?

s4wrxttcs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Engineer
All automakers have that language in the purchase order and all automakers change the builds based on all kinds of things, like parts availability (12v outlets), items that don't work as planned (powered tonneau), or items they feel they can maintain better as in house solutions (stereo system).

You may disagree with all of those decisions, but they are well within their rights to make those changes.

I do find it funny you had both systems for 2 weeks and didn't even notice there was a difference until you read about the change here. That is about as objective a test as one could get and you didn't catch it. Then, suddenly you feel the Meridian branded system is so much better?
The OP needs to have their SO or friend blindfold them to do a true unbiased test.

If I was in the OP's shoes I'm pretty sure I'd think the Meridian sounded better.

This is also interesting from a marketing standpoint. There is no question to me that the Meridian name helped them sell the fancier Stereo package, but then they switched from it. So obviously its going to bring up questions of bait and switch.

I personally wouldn't make a big deal out of it because in terms of $'s wise the OP got a much better deal than someone reserving after March 2022.

rhuber

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S Plaid, 64 Mustang
Counterpoint:

I have an early R1T (3500ish vin) and a just built R1S (6500ish vin) and I think they both sound great. The R1S does seem to allow for a higher maximum volume as well, with no perceptible distortion.

But my take is too boring, I know.

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
The OP needs to have their SO or friend blindfold them to do a true unbiased test.

If I was in the OP's shoes I'm pretty sure I'd think the Meridian sounded better.
Even that test would be less objective than the accidental one he just performed. Purposefully sitting someone down to compare the systems directly already implies there is some difference to be heard. He didn't even know there was a difference until it was pointed out to him. That pretty much says it all IMHO.
Sponsored