Sponsored

Rivian confirms no Meridian Sound System in my R1S. It has in-house audio system

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T - FG/FE/20"AT Dark
First, it’s great that he even knew about the change and had apparently listened to both. I would still not make any judgments based on 1 or even several random individuals opinions. How your ears hear it would depend on so many other factors. What music you commonly listen to, your age, etc to start with.

Also, you haven’t spent significant time listening to the Meridian branded system to be able to immediately hear differences. As you saw in this thread, OP has both systems and didn’t even know it until he read about the change here. Others who have both say they are both good. People with only the Rivian system also say it sounds good. And at least for now, the components under the speaker covers are still meridian.

If it sounds good to you, that’s all that matters.

Also, welcome!
Thanks for the welcome! I'm still confident that the audio will be of a similar quality, I was just a little disappointed given that it was a feature I was excited about, having experience with high-end home systems including Meridian in the past. You're right though, I'm sure if I'd not known about the change I wouldn't have even noticed. Regardless, it was interesting context from the employee I felt was worth sharing. My overall level of excitement for the truck remains sky high.
Sponsored

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
Thanks for the welcome! I'm still confident that the audio will be of a similar quality, I was just a little disappointed given that it was a feature I was excited about, having experience with high-end home systems including Meridian in the past. You're right though, I'm sure if I'd not known about the change I wouldn't have even noticed. Regardless, it was interesting context from the employee I felt was worth sharing. My overall level of excitement for the truck remains sky high.
FWIW I will be in the same boat - should get my truck in the next month or so and I have no idea which system it will come with. I heard the Meridian system for a few minutes on my first mile drive and thought it sounded good, but if I get the new system I will be just as happy.

CheezyNachos

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T Adventure: LA Silver/Dark Mountain
Clubs

None the less, when I asked him about the change over from Meridian his exact words were "If you rate the Meridian system as a 10, this one is about an 8.5. It's still really good, but not as good as the Meridian".
I am not sure anyone would rate it a 10 though. Tbh, I think I liked the Lexicon system in my GV70 as well as the system in my Model 3 Performance more.

Jayhawkeye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Expedition, Jeep Grand Cherokee
Occupation
Software
We have the meridian and I’m not all that impressed tbh. Are the door speakers supposed to play the vocals? Seems like nothing but mid/low comes out and all vocals are from the dash.

timgradywy

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, XC40 Recharge, CTS-V2, Triumph TR6.
Mine has Meridian. 18 vs 20 speakers doesn't matter. When people go aftermarket, they often remove rear speakers entirely and go with a really good front setup + subs. Removing one rear door speaker per side should make almost no difference. I'd much rather have one real subwoofer vs. 2 speakers I don't need.

IMO, the #1 failure of the factory system is the inability to use lossless audio via USB (whether USB stick, hard drive, CarPlay, Android Auto, old iPods, whatever). Streaming quality is generally much worse and not available in the places you want to go with your R1T. I expect that source quality has a MUCH larger impact on sound quality than whether you have a Meridian branded system or a Rivian branded system.

AND, if you're comparing the sound quality in the R1T vs. the R1S, of course they're going to sound different. Even if they have different DSP, time alignment, crossovers, etc. all with the intent of sounding the same, the interior of the vehicle has a massive impact on SQ. The only direct comparisons between Meridian vs. Rivian systems should be R1T<>R1T or R1S<>R1S.

Sponsored

mbelanger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 Mercedes S550
I'm not sure why OP is getting so much hate. They didn't tell him that he wasn't getting the Meridian sound system. That's pretty annoying and frustrating. I personally don't think it's a big deal and I probably would never notice the difference, but that doesn't mean Rivian is in the right by switching something like this without any notice or disclosure. It also doesn't mean that OP is in the wrong for being frustrated. And as OP has pointed out, this is just one example of many where Rivain has behaved in similar manner.
I'll second this. As someone seriously considering a R1S, I find the OP's message of use.

I also find this community's hostile response to be more than disappointing. Don't worry. His criticisms of Rivian don't invalidate your purchase decision and shouldn't harm your feelings of self-worth. Perhaps the Rivian Owners Forums don't have as many butt-hurt people...

DB-EV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1s
I picked up a new R1T at the Normal plant before Thanksgiving. I ordered the R1T and R1S in April of 2019. I picked up the R1S on March 14th at the Normal plant. I just asked my guide if the R1S has a Meridian sound system that I ordered. He informed me that it does not. It has the Rivian in-house audio system. I was never told by anyone at Rivian that there was a change to the sound system. I don't think this is right. I ordered an R1S with a Meridian sound system. Rivian did a bait and switch and snuck in a different sounds system without advising me.

I think the R1T Meridian system sounds much better than the R1S Rivian system.

Here is the guides explanation:

Hi Timothy,

Thanks for reaching out. I just checked your R1S and it looks like it comes with the in-house designed audio system.

We made the decision to develop our own audio solution in order to bring an auditory experience to our owners that is completely tailored to our R1 vehicle interiors. Our testing has shown listeners prefer the Rivian in-house audio through all dynamic ranges and music genres.

The in-house Rivian Elevation Audio system allows the R1 vehicles to use a common 1,200 Watt, 18-channel amplifier.

Stay adventurous,
William
Rivian Guide

Phone: 1-888-712-3204
SMS: +13092372791
Email: [email protected]
Hours of Operation: M-F 8:30 AM- 5:00 CST

Click here to schedule a call with me.

Has anyone else had a similar experience? You just can't trust Rivian.

Perhaps I have legal recourse against Rivian. I am so disappointed in this company. They just don't communicate with customers.

Tim

Dr. Ann C. Collins, MD
And how is it?

Leojatlas

First Name
JA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Someone has probably already pointed the following, but just in case they haven’t:

Tesla does and has done this for awhile. Listed features frequently disappear between preorder/order and delivery date without any notification. Other manufacturers do this as well, including mainstream and “luxury” brands. Some of it is related to the chip shortage, some of it is cost cutting, some of it is due to engineering (or manufacturing) constraints. There are numerous examples.

Is it right? No. Is it annoying? Yes. My point is that you are unlikely to be treated any better by any of the brands that compete with Rivian.

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
I'll second this. As someone seriously considering a R1S, I find the OP's message of use.

I also find this community's hostile response to be more than disappointing. Don't worry. His criticisms of Rivian don't invalidate your purchase decision and shouldn't harm your feelings of self-worth. Perhaps the Rivian Owners Forums don't have as many butt-hurt people...
OP’s original post was the most “butt hurt” I’ve seen here in awhile. Especially when he admitted he didn’t even know he was using 2 different systems until he read it here. :giggle:

Maybe if OP had not threatened to sue Rivian and attempt to paint himself as a victim of some scam their post would have been received differently. If you’re going to act like a Karen don’t complain when you get called out on it.

rhuber

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S Plaid, 64 Mustang
Wouldn't it be *HILARIOUS* if nothing had changed under the covers and the person who posted the original message was experiencing the audio system as 'subpar' for purely psychological reasons?

Well, I have the "new" system (65xx vin) with the new Rivian logo speaker grilles. Tonight I was doing some work on the vehicle, and removed a trim panel...

And lookie what I found!

1680062170755.png

1680062150152.png

1680062188211.png
Just a quick update here- because I realized I never explained why I would do something crazy like take off this panel. Well..

1) if you know me, you know I love to take apart everything I buy

2) the real reason was they there was a slight vibration back here when the bass was resonating certain frequencies. I prefer to diy fix stuff like this instead of trying to explain to any service center (especially Tesla, xoxo). In this case the top left corner of the subwoofer box had just barely made contact with the body of the vehicle. There is foam covering this area but it was just barely missing in a particular spot. I used some foam tape behind the leftmost nut that holds the sub in place and the vibration is gone.

So ya, my meridian-ish sound system wasn’t perfect. But it is now.

Oh, and I am almost certain the audio amp is different, because as I mentioned earlier, this system has a higher maximum volume than my truck. I like that.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Tim Dora

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T 2022 , R1S 2023
Clubs

So the Rivian Elevation system still has a Meridian amp pictured? Then the only difference is the elimination of the two speakers in the rear doors? I realize I get critized for thinking the system sounds different. However, wouldn't the original Meridian system sound different due to the elimination of two speakers? Clearly two speakers have been eliminated. I guess its good news for my "butt"!

ye3hawp0ny

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Just took delivery yesterday of my rivian r1t. Build was Feb 2023, vin 19k range. Delivery rep who helped me pointed out that I did have meridian elevation labeled on my speakers, however I didn't see it on the dash/wood trim as thought it would have been? Also on the monroney paper, it did not list rivian elevation under options and pricing..so what do I have 🤔

itselectric

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Website
evhelphub.com
Vehicles
R1T
Someone has probably already pointed the following, but just in case they haven’t:

Tesla does and has done this for awhile. Listed features frequently disappear between preorder/order and delivery date without any notification. Other manufacturers do this as well, including mainstream and “luxury” brands. Some of it is related to the chip shortage, some of it is cost cutting, some of it is due to engineering (or manufacturing) constraints. There are numerous examples.

Is it right? No. Is it annoying? Yes. My point is that you are unlikely to be treated any better by any of the brands that compete with Rivian.
Rivian is sadly using a lot of the same tactics Tesla does. The problem is that they don't have the market ownership and brand awareness to pull these kinds of things this early on in the game so they need to be very careful or they are going to stunt their growth. Customers are going to be wary of a brand new auto company anyway.

I don't blame Rivian at all for cost cutting. I do find the pr message and the spinning they do pretty comical, but I'd say the same thing about Tesla. "No one uses x part so we removed it. Don't worry, vision will be just as good as USS, even better" etc.

I think Rivian is often a choice of some ex or current Tesla owners including myself because they started off with many of the great things about Tesla without some of the nonsense Tesla pulls.

I've not heard the new sound system. My guess is that it isn't as good as the meridian but my other guess is that you couldn't get me to accurately choose between the two.

Now, if rivian removes USS...

brancky3

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 CY R1T, 21 MachE GT
Occupation
IT
I am not sure anyone would rate it a 10 though. Tbh, I think I liked the Lexicon system in my GV70 as well as the system in my Model 3 Performance more.
I’m with you. If the M3 system were a 9, Meridian is probably a 7.5-8 or so. It’s decent, but you have to turn it up to 20+ volume to get there.

NineElectrics

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
iTesla does and has done this for awhile. Listed features frequently disappear between preorder/order and delivery date without any notification. Other manufacturers do this as well, including mainstream and “luxury” brands. Some of it is related to the chip shortage, some of it is cost cutting, some of it is due to engineering (or manufacturing) constraints. There are numerous examples.

I’ve had this experience with Tesla, and I hate the contempt this shows for their customers. I have personally not had this experience with the two non-2021 EVs I’ve purchased.

One benefit of the model year system is that you can read reviews of the changes from year to year all at once, and know what you’re getting. Changing the car anytime obfuscates what’s you’re getting and makes to easier for manufacturers to bait and switch once the first YouTube reviews are out.

So, my wish is that Rivian would make changes in batch every model year. It’s just fairer to the buyer. In fact switching things around all the time can be considered a form of fraud.

I also wish they would switch to a dealership model. When you can test drive the actual car you might drive off the lot, it goes along way towards a fair trade. You know exactly what you are getting. You can check what audio system you have! And if course with a dealership the manufacturer doesn’t have you over a barrel with a monopoly on service.
Sponsored

Last edited: