Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, BMW R1200RT, BMW F800GS
Occupation
Software guy
Clubs

This isn't a design "flaw" it's a design "decision"

Rivian decided the gains in range / aerodynamics outweighed concerns about debris hitting the truck. They also decided that an application of PPF could help reduce the possibility of any paint damage.

This vehicle was designed and iterated by a team of engineers over many years. Everything about it is intentional, the idea that folks on a forum are going to discover some "flaw" that thousands of engineering hours missed is ludicrous.

That being said, your particular criteria may be different than the criteria the product team applied (you might say "I'll take 1% less range, for a 7% less chance that my truck suffers a ding in paint from a rock that flew through the gap") - that still doesn't make it a design flaw that makes it a truck that wasn't designed for you.
Sponsored

AdamsFan1983

First Name
Silence Dogood
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE in GW
Occupation
Public Relations
I just wish the wheel wells had more cup holders in them........... :facepalm:

kylealden

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Tesla Model Y, Zero DSR/X, '69 CJ5
Occupation
Product Management
Some aftermarket company will sell little screens you can stick on there if you're worried in no time. But this is all much ado about nothing.

Bigeasy70075

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, Tundra, Wrangler
Isn't this what we are getting this truck for, to get it dirty. Wear that mud like a badge of honor. If you are worried about the paint put PPF over those areas. Saw the detailing video and already has PPF factory installed right behind that vent. I'm gonna get about 2/3rds of my R1T wrapped so I don't have to worry about how dirty it gets

Sponsored

Zoidz

First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 R1S Adv, Avalanche, BMWs-X3,330cic,K1200RS bike
Occupation
Engineer
Perhaps the aerodynamics team needs to collaborate with the HVAC team to add a motorized spoiler on that opening, user adjustable via the Rivian UI of course. ? It could also be speed controlled like the spoiler on the Panamera.
Rivian R1T R1S Rivian Body Design Flaw? 1642456276320

RideAlong

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
20 Porsche Panamera S + 19 Ford F-150
Occupation
Dentist
I guess one could slap some mud flaps on , but would probably cause drag induced range loss. ?

ironpig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T LE, 2015 4Runner, 1975 FJ55 Land Cruiser
I don't know what's going on in this forum today. Someone started a thread wondering if the Trucks were "too big" and now you're trying to figure out if the dirt isn't hitting the truck right?

It's an adventure vehicle. Get it dirty. Embrace the design. Enjoy life.

Craigins

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Software engineer
Clubs

I don't know what's going on in this forum today. Someone started a thread wondering if the Trucks were "too big" and now you're trying to figure out if the dirt isn't hitting the truck right?

It's an adventure vehicle. Get it dirty. Embrace the design. Enjoy life.
I saw that other thread and was like, this is a small truck compared to my RAM.

ironpig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T LE, 2015 4Runner, 1975 FJ55 Land Cruiser
I saw that other thread and was like, this is a small truck compared to my RAM.
I know! It's probably the smallest truck you can buy to pull a real trailer. I used to have a RAM 1500 and I loved that it didn't feel that big when you drove it. But parking in Los Angeles wasn't that fun. The R1T will be a little better based on my test drive.

Sponsored

Ripped

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T Dual Max
Occupation
-
That's why they sell mudflaps at the local auto store. I think that they make them for just about every brand of car and truck.

Or you could buy mud tires with directional trad that shoots mud away from the vehicle.... if they made them

hilld

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Cooper SE, Z4, X1
Maybe we need retractable mud flaps for those off-roading sessions in the mud. At low speeds, aerodynamic drag won't be an issue, but at highway speeds the flaps can be out of the air stream.

Inkedsphynx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 LE R1T, '21 CB500FA, '21 CMX1100A
Given that this is already going to be one of the least efficient EVs in production, and they had to soak up 7k pounds of weight just to barely get us over the 300mile range mark, I'll take every single little aerodynamic improvement they made and thank them for it over and over.

I don't think this will be an issue for 99.9% of road gunk and debris. For the other .01%, in my mind it's no different than me needing a windshield replacement now thanks to a rock thrown up by a semi the other day when I was on the highway. Freak occurrence. Part of vehicle ownership.

AdamsFan1983

First Name
Silence Dogood
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE in GW
Occupation
Public Relations
Maybe we need retractable mud flaps for those off-roading sessions in the mud. At low speeds, aerodynamic drag won't be an issue, but at highway speeds the flaps can be out of the air stream.
Meh sure Rivian could put those in, then 5x more people on this forum will complain that it’s just another gizmo that can break.
Sponsored

Last edited: