First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 Chevrolet Avalanche
Occupation
Lab Tech
Says 13 stations but didn't see locations.

Rhidan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
It meets CharIn HPC350. Why are they limiting it to Rivian users? Any thoughts on how either the company or the owner of a Rivian benefits from that? The obvious one is that a Rivian driver would never have to wait behind an Audi, etc. driver but has anyone seen queues at DC fast chargers (other than Tesla)?
They are building the RAN to encourage people to buy Rivian vehicles. They probably would not get the same return on investment if the RAN was open to all users. I think Rivian is taking the right approach here. The Level 2 stations will be open to anybody. They are proposing that the DCFC be limited to Rivian vehicles, which would encourage people to buy Rivian vehicles. However, on five days notice, they can open up the DCFCs to anyone with a CCS plug-in. They will have the flexibility to adjust who can use DCFC based on demand. If a location has very little Rivian-driver demand, they could adjust it on the fly to open it up to other vehicles. Or if demand becomes too much, they could make the DCFC Rivian-exclusive. With CCS becoming the North American standard, Rivian also won't be stuck with a proprietary DCFC network 10 years from now. The Biden admin also plans to build 500,000 public charging stations by 2030.

Sponsored

MReda

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi S4, Lexus LX470
Seems like Powerflex took this down... It looks like after I posted it, someone else gave it a separate thread, and then someone posted it on that other forum. I guess that was too much attention?

In other news, someone found this article and put it on reddit:
https://arkvalleyvoice.com/packed-agenda-drives-salida-city-council-hosts-last-meeting-of-2020/

"Council also approved a lease to Rivian, LLC for a portion of the property located at 232 G Street (west side of Safeway at Monarch Spur Trail) to install eight electric vehicle charging stations. Rivian is the manufacturer of a line of all-new, electric pickup trucks and “Adventure” Sport Utility Vehicles. As an outdoor sports mecca, Salida was selected to be a part of Rivian’s nationwide EV Charging network."

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)
Seems like Powerflex took this down... It looks like after I posted it, someone else gave it a separate thread, and then someone posted it on that other forum. I guess that was too much attention?
Dude, I'm coming to learn that Rivian is the polar opposite of most companies, almost to a fault. I stead of hyping things, they hide them.

I understand trying not to over promise/hype, but I really feel they are on the wrong side of that balance... I still look forward to an incredible product, and get more excited about every piece of information that comes out, even those they're trying to keep secret for some strange reason.

MReda

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi S4, Lexus LX470
Dude, I'm coming to learn that Rivian is the polar opposite of most companies, almost to a fault. I stead of hyping things, they hide them.

I understand trying not to over promise/hype, but I really feel they are on the wrong side of that balance... I still look forward to an incredible product, and get more excited about every piece of information that comes out, even those they're trying to keep secret for some strange reason.
Yeah, this seems a bit extreme. If these are installed in semi-public places, what's the harm in a photo? Especially since it is pretty obvious they are working with Powerflex on chargers based solely on the number of Rivian job postings that reference Powerflex.

Whmorken

First Name
Hubert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X. Toyota Land Cruiser.
Occupation
Retired
Clubs

Fully agree. Speaking as a professor (retired), Rivian earns an A for engineering and a C in marketing. Better to risk over promising than not to promise at all.

Sponsored

Whmorken

First Name
Hubert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X. Toyota Land Cruiser.
Occupation
Retired
Clubs

Fully agree. Speaking as a professor (retired), Rivian earns an A for engineering and a C in marketing. Better to risk over promising than not to promise at all.
The reality in marketing for Rivian today is that no news about Rivian is worse than bad news. Their silence kills anticipation in potential buyers. What worked in the early years does not work after unveiling the product. Give us a headline a day or a headline plus one backstory.

azbill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Mach E, Hummer EV SUT
Occupation
Engineer
Even GM is starting to really market there new EVs. They even have some PDF downloads about batteries, manufacturing investments, charging infrastructure, etc.

https://plants.gm.com/media/us/en/gm/ev.html

I have also been receiving a lot more Hummer EV update emails recently.

Mjhirsch78

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Odyssey became an R1T: MAGIC!
Occupation
Teacher
Rivian seems to be using Apple’s playbook from fifteen years ago: hide it all until a big reveal. Not sure that works these days. Even Apple started dropping hints.

MReda

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi S4, Lexus LX470
Give us a headline a day or a headline plus one backstory.
Yeah, good point. They don't have to suddenly flood us with all information (most of us understand it isn't all available and final), but put out a blog post detailing a single thing that is locked down at this point. The roof comes to mind. The plan for EPA testing with different wheel and tire options (not the mileage, just the timeline). A couple definitive RAN locations. A real photo of launch green.

You suggested daily, I'd be happy with a new post once a week.
Sponsored