Sponsored

Rivian adjustable air suspension

GreenMonster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MB GLE
I saw another member mention the air suspension in the Rivian vehicles and thought it'd be an interesting topic for a thread. The R1T and R1S both ride on adjustable air suspension.

Ride quality for the truck looks promising — it uses a multi-link rear and double A-arm front suspension design, and Rivian claims it will handle well. Helping it do that both on road and off is an air suspension at all four corners. It's capable of raising the vehicle over five inches from its road driving height when you want the extra ground clearance or are heading into the trails. (Ground clearance) The R1T, being electric, affords it extreme wading ability at a full meter of water.
For anyone not familiar with air suspension, here's some history http://www.speedhunters.com/2015/07/no-compromise-a-modern-history-of-performance-air-suspension/

Personally I think an adjustable air suspension is really best of both worlds and will add an element of adjustability to Rivians that you don't enjoy in other trucks/SUVs. Look at any truck/SUV forum and you'll see lift kits are one of the most discussed modifications - particularly what height to go with.

Well with an adjustable air suspension that has over five inches of adjustable range, we never have to worry about which lift kit height to get!
Sponsored

CappyJax

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Forester
As I mentioned, the problem with traditional air suspension is that is it rigid at its highest extension which you don't want for off road, and soft and squishy at its lowest extension which doesn't bode well for cornering performance. This could be remedied by having a relatively low pressure when at its highest, and using an opposing air bag to lower the suspension at higher pressure giving more rigidity for cornering.

The change in height also tends to change the alignment. However, I suspect the truck will be self aligning in regards to toe with the electric steering.

Revelation

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian Blue R1T
Occupation
IT Solutions Architect
As I mentioned, the problem with traditional air suspension is that is it rigid at its highest extension which you don't want for off road, and soft and squishy at its lowest extension which doesn't bode well for cornering performance. This could be remedied by having a relatively low pressure when at its highest, and using an opposing air bag to lower the suspension at higher pressure giving more rigidity for cornering.
I don't really see a big issue with that. When I took my aforementioned Jeep off-roading I enjoyed the stiffer suspension when it was raised up. It almost seemed like I had a better "connection" with the ground under the tires. I preferred the Off-Road Ride height of 1 in most of my daily driving. Just the right perfect balance of stiffness and softness in the ride. Unfortunately it would automatically lower to "normal" ride height once you passed 40mph.

It would be nice is Rivian allows us to change such settings. I'd have preferred it to automatically lower at 50mph and further lower at 65mph for "aero-mode" for better aerodynamics.

CappyJax

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Forester
If you are off roading at low speed, that would be fine. But it you want to travel at speed, the stiff suspension is going to be uncomfortable.

I think it will be completely user selectable. This company is working on a rally car, so they understand the need to have higher suspension at higher speeds.

Gene

First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y, Model 3, Cybertruck, R2 Reservation.
If you are off roading at low speed, that would be fine. But it you want to travel at speed, the stiff suspension is going to be uncomfortable.

I think it will be completely user selectable. This company is working on a rally car, so they understand the need to have higher suspension at higher speeds.
Stiff suspension for climbing over boulders or up rock steps is a problem. You want supple with lots of travel to keep all 4 wheels on the ground all of the time. Historically coils with solid axles have been the best. Land Rover Defenders and Range Rover were much better off-road when they were coil sprung and supple.Current Jeep Wrangler has the proper setup suspension wise.

I used to do work in Algerian Sahara traveling thousands of miles of not just dirt roads but roadless areas as well. Add to that thousands of miles of Arctic and mountainous terrain. Soild axles hold up. CV joints, air suspension, independent suspensions have failed as a rule and are difficult to repair in the field. Hopefully Rivian makes their's beefy but I fear the air suspension will not hold up in more than occasional rough conditions. Many thousands of miles of washboard can have its toll.

In Africa, the last thing we wanted was independent front end. With soild axle you have a permanent front ground clearance that you can count on. Independent front end like Rivian is variable in ground clearance and worst is that when it compresses the most amount is at times it is in rough terrain with a crashing downward force on a likely rock...ouch! If you look at Toyota Landcruisers and Pickups in Africa and Australia you will see they are manufactured with solid front and rear axles for capability off-road and durability. The USA versions are sporting independent (like Rivian) front ends for comfort.

All this being said, I'm done with fossil fuels and with all the short comings of the Rivian for really rough country travel, it is the best coming available soon. I'll just have to drive more carefully over the rough stuff.

Last edited:

Sponsored

mDvzamdH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X75D
Just to follow up on what Gene said, air suspension is prone to punctures, and it not suitable in my opinion for difficult terrain. I found this out the hard way when I destroyed the air suspension on my Tesla X75D on a Forest Road here in Oregon. Although I was really excited about Rivian's effort to create an adventurous EV, and I am probably the exact target audience, I will not buy a truck or SUV with air suspension.

buddilly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ferrari, Lamborghini, etc.
It all depends on the air suspension and how it is set up. I have had numerous high end off road vehicles on air ride without a single issue. For instance, I took my new EarthRoamer LTS down some EXTREME trails in Medicine Bow National Forest last week in the highest suspension setting [and it's on 41" MPT tires!] for miles and miles. No issues with rock crawling, driving over large down trees, crossing small rivers, etc. Execution is everything.

mDvzamdH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X75D
It all depends on the air suspension and how it is set up. I have had numerous high end off road vehicles on air ride without a single issue. For instance, I took my new EarthRoamer LTS down some EXTREME trails in Medicine Bow National Forest last week in the highest suspension setting [and it's on 41" MPT tires!] for miles and miles. No issues with rock crawling, driving over large down trees, crossing small rivers, etc. Execution is everything.
Thanks. Suppose I just need to be more careful.

buddilly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ferrari, Lamborghini, etc.
Thanks. Suppose I just need to be more careful.
Perhaps...could have been just plain old bad luck. Moreover, Tesla probably used an air ride that is durable enough for its intended purpose but likely not overbuilt for true off-road punishment. We can speculate all day...

mDvzamdH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X75D
I punctured the air suspension on a rutted Forest Road. This wasn't even off road. I seem to remember that the right-front tire had just gone over a two-foot diameter boulder at perhaps walking speed. That cost me $4,500 to repair. While bemoaning my situation at the Service Center, the advisor told me that another unlucky soul had punctured his battery pack by driving on a Forest Road at high speed. The bill for that was $22,000. Current Teslas are not made for any sort of abuse at all. They are road and track cars. We can hope that Rivian protects the vehicle better.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Electric Rivilution

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Model X P90D
I punctured the air suspension on a rutted Forest Road. This wasn't even off road. I seem to remember that the right-front tire had just gone over a two-foot diameter boulder at perhaps walking speed. That cost me $4,500 to repair. While bemoaning my situation at the Service Center, the advisor told me that another unlucky soul had punctured his battery pack by driving on a Forest Road at high speed. The bill for that was $22,000. Current Teslas are not made for any sort of abuse at all. They are road and track cars. We can hope that Rivian protects the vehicle better.
Teslas aren't even track cars. They weren't engineered for reliable repeated track duty. But yea, the cost of repairs for an advanced tech off-road EV is a concern of mine. Part of the reason Jeeps are so popular is bc traditionally they were cheap to repair and replace parts for. It will be interesting to see how protected Rivians' parts and components from the wear and tear of actual off road use. Hopefully the entire vehicle has been over-engineered for such use.

EyeOnRivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E 4X, Mitsubishi Endeavor. Pre-order: R1S LE
Current Teslas are not made for any sort of abuse at all. They are road and track cars. We can hope that Rivian protects the vehicle better.
To further that point, I had read sometime ago (don't recall where) Tesla even states in their warranty that it would be voided if damage occurred from off-roading. Perhaps some Tesla owners out there can confirm.

mDvzamdH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X75D
To further that point, I had read sometime ago (don't recall where) Tesla even states in their warranty that it would be voided if damage occurred from off-roading. Perhaps some Tesla owners out there can confirm.
Tesla will not pay for repairs if the damage occurred from an external source. You will have to pay for that repair yourself. The warranty still remains in effect, in my experience.

ElectricTrucking

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche 911, Chevy Bolt
Does anybody here really think we believe you want serious off roading with a Rivian. Even a beautiful tricked out Jeep will never see rock climbing. Rock climbing in a beautiful Jeep with all of the bells and whistles of after market quality is NUTS!

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)
Does anybody here really think we believe you want serious off roading with a Rivian. Even a beautiful tricked out Jeep will never see rock climbing. Rock climbing in a beautiful Jeep with all of the bells and whistles of after market quality is NUTS!
Rivian R1T R1S Rivian adjustable air suspension FB_IMG_1548825010562
Rivian R1T R1S Rivian adjustable air suspension FB_IMG_1548825003642
Sponsored