Sponsored

AllInev

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Prius V, R1T
:clap: Super cool!!! Please, please, please send more photos. I'm sure there's a bunch of us that would love to see the installation process. Keep us updated!

cardad

First Name
Kelvin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T/S, Bronco Raptor, Wrangler4xe, Ioniq5, Winbago
Occupation
insurance agent
I, too, am curious.
I’m surprised they had a salvage Rivian to pull apart as they usually end up on Copart etc.

AbhorViolence

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2003 VW GTI, 1998 Toyota Tacoma
Great now this is going to become the new version of catalytic converter theft.

Sponsored

Trandall

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2023 Mach-E
Occupation
Construction Management
id be shocked if this doesnt void the warranty
Why would it?
I have the standard underbody which is made up of several segments which I have removed in the past so I could clean al the mud out from off-roading. When I was done cleaning I put the panels back on but used stainless steel fasteners in place of the factory ones. I spoke to service support to see if they could provide torque values for the various shit-ton of fasteners they used and support said they could not find any torque spec's for these fasteners and didn't believe that the values existed. I installed each of the 5 or 6 different variety of fasteners with the "tight is tight, too tight is broke" principal. Service support never indicated that this would void my warranty and didn't seem to have any reservations about me doing it. I also removed the frunk tub and power washed the front drive unit, suspension, radiator and fan, the compressor, etc... All had no ill effects on the little tank that is my R1T. I've put about 30K miles on since then.

Oldsmobile_Mike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
FG/FE R1T recv'd 3/31/2023
Occupation
I build stuff
Clubs

I know this is a joke from another thread, but I was kind of surprised that Rivian removed info on the RUS from the vehicle about screen. I think that happened the same time they moved the trip meters there.
Thanks! I'm always glad when someone gets my dumb jokes. 😆

Didn't realize they'd removed that piece of info, but sure enough - it's gone now from the "About". Maybe for just this reason? #shrug 🤷

kylealden

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Tesla Model Y, Zero DSR/X, '69 CJ5
Occupation
Product Management

R1Thor

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23QM R1T, Limestone + Ocean Coast, 21" & UBS
Occupation
Mechanical Engineering Lead
Clubs

Magnusson Moss applies, no?
It's an OEM part (Rivian Engineered). The ONLY way this would even be a QUESTION of warranty or no warranty would be if SOMEHOW you installed it incorrectly (which, I think would be more difficult than installing it correctly, for sure).

So, if OP stripped a threaded fastener while installing it, I wouldn't anticipate Rivian correcting that under warranty. I would also expect that if he asked really nicely, and paid for the labor, they'd be willing to fix it, in this theoretical scenario.

However, if OP took the truck in for service, and RIVIAN stripped the fastener (that was previously appropriately installed), then I WOULD *expect them* to fix it.

If the RUS itself imploded due to workmanship issues or defects, I would NOT expect them to replace or fix that under warranty, as it's not how the truck was delivered to OP.

Pretty cut and dry, no?

Sponsored

kyunam

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1999 LS 400, 2023 Rivian R1S
Occupation
not sure what I'm doing
Clubs

Now you've seen inside in detail, do you think it’s worth the price?

UnsungZero_OldTimeAdMan

First Name
Barnum
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 GW Quad-Large R1T "Ghost"
Occupation
Advertising Circus
Yes, Magnuson-Moss does give consumers some protection. However, it isn't unprecedented for courts to rule despite law. So, while it's good to know your rights, don't assume M-M is an ironclad "do as you wish" pass. The truth is no one knows until there is a test case that sets precedence for lawyers to point to and argue for in front of a judge or jury; whether it's OE-made RUS, aftermarket wheels/tires, aftermarket charging pad, or DIY fix for horn.

Litigation/arbitration can go for months and years. If you think service wait times are long, this could be even longer. In the meantime, you are either without your Rivian or you are having to repair it out-of-pocket. Not to mention legal fees. Being right has a price too. I'd hazard to guess most cases get settled out of court, where the manufacturer agrees to cover all or some of the costs as a one-time courtesy (and tax write-off for them). But, it can still take a lot of time to get to that resolution. Bottomline is whenever you modify beyond what any manufacturer delivered to you, there is always a certain degree of risk that you must be willing to accept—if you're going to move forward with it.

Now... can we please get back to the nitty gritty details on the RUS itself? I'm sure lots of people would like to know.

Last edited: