Sponsored

Reinforced Underbody Shield - opinions / worth it?

DaveA

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
If you drive on roads in the U.S., get it...so much garbage on American highways, that hitting objects off-roading is the least of your worries.

Yossarian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Telluride, Wee-Strom, Lynskey Cooper
I asked this question a little while back. My take on the responses received was that it was not really necessary for normal road use or even mild off-roading. At least one response suggested it could improve range by reducing turbulence under the vehicle, and while that may well be true, I'd suspect that any improvement would be very slight.

Several folks stated that in their experience, the shields noticeably reduced cabin noise, which could be a valid reason for getting the option if this is truly the case.

MidnightRivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Clubs

Use the search function. My non negotiable were ocean coast and underbody shield.

100% I would make the same decision again and again and again.

Sponsored

BeanEW

First Name
Eugene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Occupation
Retired
I have it... an insurance for me. You paid for it and wish you'll never used it.

UnsungZero_OldTimeAdMan

First Name
Barnum
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 GW Quad-Large R1T "Ghost"
Occupation
Advertising Circus
Search terms:

It was once a stand-alone option. Now a part of the off-road package bundle. If you don't know what purpose it serves or how that fits into your usage, chances are you don't need it. Without it, the battery pack is protected by a carbon composite shield. This is an additional steel shield, like skid plates. Just as the skid plate namesake suggests, if you will not be driving in situations where you will be rubbing the vehicle's belly on the ground, you don't need it.

CharonPDX

First Name
Charon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE, Mach-E, Arcimoto FUV, Repl: F-250/Model S
Occupation
InfoSec Geek
Clubs

Do you plan on going actual rock crawl off-roading? If so, get it. If not, don't bother.
Sponsored