Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RIT pre-order
Occupation
beer
Clubs

hey All - I have been waiting for my delivery since Nov 2020 pre-order. Delivery got pushed several times from original timeframe of April-June 2022. I got impatient and annoyed and bought a Ram TRX, especially when they removed the tent and kitchen options. I absolutely love the TRX. Now I finally got my deliver window for June/July 2023. The R1T is significantly cheaper than the TRX. What would you do? Sell the TRX and get the Rivian or cancel my pre-order? I have seen several R1Ts and they are small/dainty compared to my massive TRX. Yes, the R1T is faster, but the TRX is SOOO fun to drive. I get people stopping me everywhere to gawk at my TRX. Decisions...Decisions.
Sponsored

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

You must like stopping for gas.

OP
OP
estprft

estprft

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RIT pre-order
Occupation
beer
Clubs

I dont drive far and she has a 33 gallon tank that can go for 400 plus miles so i only fill- up once a month. So the gas vs electric cost isnt a factor

DirtyJester

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 kona ev
Occupation
Millwright
I wanted a trx. But my commute is long. I finally saw one in person yesterday and got to hear it accelerate from the light. Oh Man I loved it. I almost drooled.
That being said I can’t wait for my rivian.
But I love the trx too

Donald Stanfield

First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2024 BMW i4 M50
Occupation
Stuff and things
I drove that TRX and I hated it because it's ginormous. You must not drive in traffic or cities very often because if you did you'd lose your shit trying to drive that beast of a truck. It is cool, I'll give you that but it's just way too big.

If you like that size you won't like that Rivian even though IMO it's a better truck.

Sponsored

OP
OP
estprft

estprft

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RIT pre-order
Occupation
beer
Clubs

good point. my only problem with the TRX is that I can't fit in any garage, especially at the airport, and cannot go thru any carwash....

OP
OP
estprft

estprft

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RIT pre-order
Occupation
beer
Clubs

parking at long term airport lots stinks...

Donald Stanfield

First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2024 BMW i4 M50
Occupation
Stuff and things
parking at long term airport lots stinks...
Parking anywhere that's not a wide open field probably stinks. Like I said I was really considering one until I test drove it. While it was as cool as I thought it was just way too much for a daily driver. The rivian is the perfect size IMO, just a little smaller than a 150 but still all the capability of one as far as towing and payload. So still enough truck for me without the obtrusive size.

Rugbym8t

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ram TRX
I have both. :) The TRX is a beast and honestly I enjoy flooring the TRX more than the R1T. The R1T doesn't put down its power smoothly. Had a Model X Plaid as well, and it lays down the immense power sooo smoothly. The Rivian R1T is just not smooth, it feels like a calibration thing. The TRX is massive inside and the rivian is much much smaller, especially in the rear seat. So if you carry 4 adults or big teens in the back, they will miss the TRX. The R1T is bit larger than a Tacoma (had a TRD Pro before the TRX).

Now it sounds like I am all in on the TRX, but I love the R1T as a daily. The TRX just felt so wasteful sitting in city traffic. The R1T is a bit easier to park than the TRX, but I honestly don't have issues with the TRX in Chicago. The R1T because it's smaller handles much better than the TRX on road. The storage too on the truck is great with the gear tunnel, frunk, and covered bed. Also since is not as tall, it IS easier to get up and around the truck and I am 6'4".

I am in the middle of my first road trip with the R1T and i am slowing falling in love with it. Its got a well made interior and its been a blast. I think the seats are better than the TRX for support.

It's tough, if you are going to Baja and bombing trails then it's TRX all day. If you want a big bold, loud, truck that's fun to climb up into, then it's TRX. But if you aren't going too far off road, and not towing long distances, then the R1T probably has all the utility you need in a truck and it's a ton of fun. But it does NOT have the aggressive feel that rolling around in a TRX has.

Also at the current prices of a R1T ~95k+, it's a hard sell vs a TRX if you don't care about the mileage. For me the TRX, I will never sell. It's got a permanent spot in the garage. The R1T will stay for a while.

Rugbym8t

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ram TRX
Just saw that you are an early pre-order.... that complicates it.

For the 70k you will pay, the R1T is a GREAT deal, and you get the $7500 credit from last year. At that price, you can't lose to try it! You will be able to walk away from it and get all your money back.

Sponsored

DirtyJester

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 kona ev
Occupation
Millwright
I have both. :) The TRX is a beast and honestly I enjoy flooring the TRX more than the R1T. The R1T doesn't put down its power smoothly. Had a Model X Plaid as well, and it lays down the immense power sooo smoothly. The Rivian R1T is just not smooth, it feels like a calibration thing. The TRX is massive inside and the rivian is much much smaller, especially in the rear seat. So if you carry 4 adults or big teens in the back, they will miss the TRX. The R1T is bit larger than a Tacoma (had a TRD Pro before the TRX).

Now it sounds like I am all in on the TRX, but I love the R1T as a daily. The TRX just felt so wasteful sitting in city traffic. The R1T is a bit easier to park than the TRX, but I honestly don't have issues with the TRX in Chicago. The R1T because it's smaller handles much better than the TRX on road. The storage too on the truck is great with the gear tunnel, frunk, and covered bed. Also since is not as tall, it IS easier to get up and around the truck and I am 6'4".

I am in the middle of my first road trip with the R1T and i am slowing falling in love with it. Its got a well made interior and its been a blast. I think the seats are better than the TRX for support.

It's tough, if you are going to Baja and bombing trails then it's TRX all day. If you want a big bold, loud, truck that's fun to climb up into, then it's TRX. But if you aren't going too far off road, and not towing long distances, then the R1T probably has all the utility you need in a truck and it's a ton of fun. But it does NOT have the aggressive feel that rolling around in a TRX has.

Also at the current prices of a R1T ~95k+, it's a hard sell vs a TRX if you don't care about the mileage. For me the TRX, I will never sell. It's got a permanent spot in the garage. The R1T will stay for a while.
Sounds to me like I’d love both of em. 🤣

BigE

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Honda S2000
I dont drive far and she has a 33 gallon tank that can go for 400 plus miles so i only fill- up once a month. So the gas vs electric cost isnt a factor
For 33 gals @ 3.25/gal = $107.25...I could drive my R1T 984 miles for that price.

ironpig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T LE, 2015 4Runner, 1975 FJ55 Land Cruiser
The TRX is a beast of engineering and a blast to drive fast off-road. I am happy I got to drive one out, but I would never own one. It's just massive and overkill for 99.9% of my use cases. I can't imagine someone driving it daily, but I guess some people might.

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
~ $21 more per 100 miles for the TRX in South Carolina.

I see gas on average is 3.35 per gallon, TRX gets 12.2 MPG, 100 miles is (100/12.2)x3.35=$ 27.46

Looks like electricity is around 14 cents, getting 2.2 miles per Kw, 100 miles is (100/2.2)X.14= $ 6.36

Money is not everything but that is a free lunch every 100 miles…. Or throw That $20 bill in a jar every 100 miles to help buy the new shoes for the Rivian. 😉