OP

Max Power

First Name
Wyatt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T - Replaces F-150 Raptor and Tesla Model 3
I got the truck back yesterday. They had it a few extra days due to holiday weekend and fixing a couple of other niggles I asked for as long as it was in...

Technical Explanation I was provided:
The "CGM" had an old firmware that didn't update during the last truck SW update. It didn't cause any problems until updating to 2022.47.0 when the mismatch caused it to get locked into "boot load mode" which did drain the 12v batteries.

Rivian talked to engineering, updated the firmware and then repeated updates to ensure it wouldn't happen again. I think it was a one off glitch, but I will be careful about where my truck is parked and what's in it in the future.

Back in business. Although it isn't yet suggesting I'll get additional range. I'm going to road trip in it soon and hope to see the numbers climb.
Sponsored

japine

First Name
Johnny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla
Occupation
Attorney
I'll provide updates as it goes, but truck is currently dead in my driveway awaiting a mobile technician visit after kicking off the mobile update last night.

Approx 5:30pm with about 75% charge I parked in my driveway and kicked off the update.
Notes:
I did not plug into charger (and the orientation I have parked my charger cord cannot reach).
I have a string of Christmas lights plugged into the 120v plus in the bed and the timer probably had 15 minutes left on it. I forgot to shut this off when I kicked off the update, but when I realized it, I didn't think it should matter (I don't know if it mattered or not).

About 10pm I went to check on it, look for snow mode, test the new app features (seat heaters, send to nav, etc...).

The truck was dark, doors closed, handles folded in. Nothing would work to unlock, or wake it. Stays dark no matter what I do.

I called Tech Support and they had me move my keys to other side of house, turn BT off on my phone and way 40 minutes for sleep cycle. They Called me back 40min later and we tried to wake it a bunch of different ways. Nothing worked, stays dark and locked.

I was contacted this morning again by Rivian looking to find a mobile tech who can come by. As of 10am, still waiting to get an appointment time. Guys on the phone think it might need to be towed to South SF SC.

I suspect 12v system is dead for some reason. Could be due to the Christmas lights. If I can get away from my desk, I might see if I can test them with my multimeter. I'm not sure if the jump leads will work for that but they should in theory.

The silver lining might be that my niggling issues with front camera and steering wheel might get address a month early (appointment for those made 2 weeks ago is currently Jan 20).

I'll let you know what happens.
I ran the update as well with 50% charge left and unit unplugged. I returned to the vehicle to find it was totally dead. I called Rivian support and not much help there (set up ticket) and no response (understandable given the holidays). I removed the tow cover, pulled out the red and black cables and tried to cart start. After waiting an hour started to see signs of life. I was able to unlock the frunk, and hope to get enough charge to open the doors, etc. The update appears to be the culprit here.

Will follow up with another post once I get the RIT opened. Good times!

jp

Rivian R1T R1S R1T Bricked After 2022.47.0 OTA IMG_3592

Rivian R1T R1S R1T Bricked After 2022.47.0 OTA IMG_3593

kizamybute'

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
This one, that one and the other one.
Clubs

I ran the update as well with 50% charge left and unit unplugged. I returned to the vehicle to find it was totally dead. I called Rivian support and not much help there (set up ticket) and no response (understandable given the holidays). I removed the tow cover, pulled out the red and black cables and tried to cart start. After waiting an hour started to see signs of life. I was able to unlock the frunk, and hope to get enough charge to open the doors, etc. The update appears to be the culprit here.

Will follow up with another post once I get the RIT opened. Good times!

jp

IMG_3592.jpeg

IMG_3593.jpeg
Did this work? My truck is completely dead. My truck was updated a few weeks ago and had been fine. Drove it Sunday night. It sat until tonight when I had to go somewhere and it was completely dead. Have had a charger on it for about a half an hour and still nothing. Have it at 50 amps (start), trying to get juice into it. Got the frunk to pop, but won't open. The headlights started flashing like strobe lights for a few seconds then stopped. But, still can't open the doors.

Odd that mine would do it several weeks after the update if it is related to the update?

japine

First Name
Johnny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla
Occupation
Attorney
The end. We tried everything. One final 12 V charge from the rear pigtail. Noticed one left rear light illuminate but would not unlock doors, charge port, etc. Basically the update (per Rivian) bricked the 2 small batteries that control car ingress/egress. The high voltage batteries are fine. Should be ready tomorrow as long as the re-updates do not crash the systems again. Hoping this gremlin has been discovered. Call me any time 407-796-2411.

Rivian R1T R1S R1T Bricked After 2022.47.0 OTA IMG_3651

kizamybute'

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

The end. We tried everything. One final 12 V charge from the rear pigtail. Noticed one left rear light illuminate but would not unlock doors, charge port, etc. Basically the update (per Rivian) bricked the 2 small batteries that control car ingress/egress. The high voltage batteries are fine. Should be ready tomorrow as long as the re-updates do not crash the systems again. Hoping this gremlin has been discovered. Call me any time 407-796-2411.

IMG_3651.jpeg
Thank you!

Rivian just called. I had a mobile service appointment for tomorrow to program key fobs. They moved it up to today and should be here within the hour. They said they're bringing two new 12V batteries, so we'll see what happens. Fingers crossed. My last software update was several weeks ago and it's been fine since. Drove it Sunday. It sat for a day with 81%+/- charged and was completely dead.

Hoping they find the cause, beyond just replacing the 12V batteries. Want to know why it happened and if it will happen again. Fortunately I was at home when it did. Would not have been pleasant if it happened while I was out somewhere or out in the middle of nowhere.

Sounds like a recurring issue, so hoping Rivian finds the solution VERY soon so this doesn't happen to others.

Last edited:

Sponsored

kizamybute'

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

I got the truck back yesterday. They had it a few extra days due to holiday weekend and fixing a couple of other niggles I asked for as long as it was in...

Technical Explanation I was provided:
The "CGM" had an old firmware that didn't update during the last truck SW update. It didn't cause any problems until updating to 2022.47.0 when the mismatch caused it to get locked into "boot load mode" which did drain the 12v batteries.

Rivian talked to engineering, updated the firmware and then repeated updates to ensure it wouldn't happen again. I think it was a one off glitch, but I will be careful about where my truck is parked and what's in it in the future.

Back in business. Although it isn't yet suggesting I'll get additional range. I'm going to road trip in it soon and hope to see the numbers climb.
Received a call from Rivian this morning. The CGM went bad. Doesn't appear to be as a result of a software update. Just randomly went bad. They are ordering a new one and hope to have it by Monday.

OP
OP

Max Power

First Name
Wyatt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T - Replaces F-150 Raptor and Tesla Model 3
Interesting. Fingers crossed I don't have any GCM failures out in the wild. Not reassuring... I did drive the family to Disneyland and back to The Bay (~400mi each way) successfully. Even during the crazy Atmospheric River that flooded my community was no match.

@japine did they figure out why the update bricked the 12v batteries?

japine

First Name
Johnny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla
Occupation
Attorney
Interesting. Fingers crossed I don't have any GCM failures out in the wild. Not reassuring... I did drive the family to Disneyland and back to The Bay (~400mi each way) successfully. Even during the crazy Atmospheric River that flooded my community was no match.

@japine did they figure out why the update bricked the 12v batteries?
Still undetermined but will advise as soon as I am told.
Sponsored