Sponsored

R1T bed length

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
Still don't get why anyone would put the tailgate down to haul plywood. Its real dangerous and a pita to secure. Leave your gate up and put the plywood in not a problem. I hauled maybe 8 sheets at a time this way as a cabinet maker for years. Having the ability to haul 4 x 8 sheets is one of the main advantages of a pickup truck over an SUV. That and refrigerators. Neither should be a problem with the Rivian.
I've never had a problem hauling long items with the tailgate down. You need to secure your load. A tow strap from the tie down at the front of the bed, over the end of the plywood, and attach at the tow receiver. Done.
Sponsored

DaveA

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
If I need to haul anything the bed can't handle, I'll just ask Home Depot to deliver it....beats throwing my back out trying to maneuver it into the bed to save $50 on delivery. I realize those out in the boonies this probably isn't an option, but hey....a small trailer works too.

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
If I need to haul anything the bed can't handle, I'll just ask Home Depot to deliver it....beats throwing my back out trying to maneuver it into the bed to save $50 on delivery. I realize those out in the boonies this probably isn't an option, but hey....a small trailer works too.
I’ve used HD delivery four times. Each time the product arrived completely mangled and unusable.

I’m going to use the bed of the R1T when feasible, otherwise, I’ll I use my own trailer. It’s less expensive, faster, and I’ll get what I paid for the first time.

mtnras

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RAM 3500, Subaru Ascent, Rivian R1T
More bummed that a pair of 190cm skis won't fit in the bed of the truck unless the tailgate is down... real bummer! I don't want to have a ski rack on a pickup truck...

Maybe they can connect the gear tunnel w/ the bed of the truck so that longer items, like skis, can be passed through.

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
More bummed that a pair of 190cm skis won't fit in the bed of the truck unless the tailgate is down... real bummer! I don't want to have a ski rack on a pickup truck...

Maybe they can connect the gear tunnel w/ the bed of the truck so that longer items, like skis, can be passed through.
Any chance your skis will fit in the gear tunnel? I'm assuming they're too long, but thought I'd ask.

Sponsored

electrictaco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
You're within 2cm of fitting diagonally in the bed... Maybe with the tips in the corner and the tails resting up on a bag it will fit?

timesinks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, ID.4, Sprinter

I'll bet you a dollar they fit in the bed just fine with the tonneau closed.

Your 190cm skis are 74.8" long. The flat-on-the-floor corner-to-corner measurement of the bed interior should be 74.3" [sqrt(51.1^2+54^2)], not quite enough, but we also have the vertical dimension. The first leg of that triangle is the bed width, and the second is the corner-to-corner of the side wall = 56" [sqrt(17^2+54^2)]. So your diagonal from bottom front passenger corner to top rear driver corner is 75.8" [sqrt(51.1^2+56^2)]-- long enough to fit a 74.8" pair of skis.

Last edited:

Rhidan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T

Your 190cm skis are 74.8" long. The flat-on-the-floor corner-to-corner measurement of the bed interior should be 74.3" [sqrt(51.1^2+54^2)], not quite enough, but we also have the vertical dimension. The first leg of that triangle is the bed width, and the second is the corner-to-corner of the side wall = 56" [sqrt(17^2+54^2)]. So your diagonal from bottom front passenger corner to top rear driver corner is 75.8" [sqrt(51.1^2+56^2)]-- long enough to fit a 74.8" pair of skis.
Oof. I’m gonna really need to see a pair of skis in the back of the R1T now. That theoretical one extra inch of clearance is not gonna cut it when you consider skis are a 3D object with tips and width. You can’t fit them perfectly like a straight line.

cohall

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T

I had a clever post all typed up about how they should switch to snowboarding, and then you had to go and solve it with math. How dare you.

Andystroh

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

Man, we have gone back and forth between truck and SUV because skis don't fit well in the bed. I love the size but that's the one reason that I wish it was a little longer. Our longest pair is 181, but we often have 4 skis in the car now and the diagonal plan doesn't work quite as nicely stacking them up. Accepted we'll need a rack on the bed or cab and they'll hang over a little bit. Wife's snowboard will fit in the gear tunnel though.

Sponsored

MountainBikeDude

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 El Cap Quad Motor R1T (Selling the Xterra)
Clubs

I drafted up the truck based on the dimensions given in the recent release. 190cm skis should fit fine in the rear bed diagonally (don't hunt me down if they don't tho... maybe get some smaller skis in that event)

I did assume the recess in the bed walls (which they don't take into account when giving the max width in the "sizing up the R1T" release) was about 2.5 inches. As I noted in the drawing, 190cm clear will work as long as the recess in the bed wall is greater than 1/2"
Rivian R1T R1S R1T bed length 1620762190061

Rivian R1T R1S R1T bed length 1620762535956

Rivian R1T R1S R1T bed length 1620762813260

timesinks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, ID.4, Sprinter
Oof. I’m gonna really need to see a pair of skis in the back of the R1T now. That theoretical one extra inch of clearance is not gonna cut it when you consider skis are a 3D object with tips and width. You can’t fit them perfectly like a straight line.
I did some reading, and it seems like most skis stand shorter than their "length" anyways. Many manufacturers measure the edge length including the curves. That is to say a 190cm pair of skis likely only stands 185cm or so to begin with. I'd be curious to see what your tape measure says about your skis.

I had a clever post all typed up about how they should switch to snowboarding, and then you had to go and solve it with math. How dare you.
Yeah, that's my solution. My 170cm board should fit just fine :-D

n8dgr8

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, Volvo XC 90
Occupation
Engineer
Man, we have gone back and forth between truck and SUV because skis don't fit well in the bed. I love the size but that's the one reason that I wish it was a little longer. Our longest pair is 181, but we often have 4 skis in the car now and the diagonal plan doesn't work quite as nicely stacking them up. Accepted we'll need a rack on the bed or cab and they'll hang over a little bit. Wife's snowboard will fit in the gear tunnel though.
Curious how far a car top carrier will overhang the back end? Will it mount to the rails or will it be too long.

n8dgr8

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, Volvo XC 90
Occupation
Engineer
Curious how far a car top carrier will overhang the back end? Will it mount to the rails or will it be too long.
Just measure my Yakima box, it needs 60” from the cab to the last bar. Not going to mount over the bed. Has to go on the roof. Was hoping it could be lower for easier access.

If you are not worried about security, the skis can just rest on top of the gate.

Andystroh

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

Just measure my Yakima box, it needs 60” from the cab to the last bar. Not going to mount over the bed. Has to go on the roof. Was hoping it could be lower for easier access.

If you are not worried about security, the skis can just rest on top of the gate.
Hmm good call on the box, I hadn't measured mine. Bummer it hasn't looked like the roof rack locations on the bed were adjustable. We have some of the ski racks too, those will probably work. Not confident either will fit in my garage if on top of the cab though, garage is a little short.
Sponsored