Sponsored

R1T and Mountain Biking

md11phlyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T White/Quad/Adv 22s, Cessna 310Q
Has anyone tried using the compressor to seat a tubeless tire? I'm trying to make some room in the garage and it would be great to move my 10 gallon compressor out of the garage.
Only way you'll seat a tubeless would be to set the compressor at like 80 lbs. and hope for the best then pull the chuk once it seats. As a previous poster mentioned the flow rate is too slow. I'm going to try it for fun and report back.
Sponsored

duessell

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T and Chrysler Pacifica PHEV

SteveInBend

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 El Cap R1T
Occupation
Retired
Does moving your 10-gallon compressor to the truck bed fit your definition of "out of the garage"?

duessell

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Testing out a prototype custom tail gate bike pad. Protects truck, bike and stanchion. Bike fits great with room to spare. 29’er, gravel, road, all good. Minimal sensor interference.

93798E33-12EA-4FE5-90AB-9356077C1198.jpeg
9F232455-3118-40E1-B1AC-8E90AC03D1FB.jpeg
A2E78F9B-B674-4616-A28F-175487989729.jpeg
Still thinking of making these for sale?

kylealden

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Tesla Model Y, Zero DSR/X, '69 CJ5
Occupation
Product Management

Sponsored

Law

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T

duessell

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Not trying to steal @Law's thunder (I would buy those if he makes them!) but I found the Pisgah Pad works as a conceptually similar solution to minimally protect the bike and tailgate without a full pad: https://www.rivianforums.com/forum/threads/r1t-and-mountain-biking.831/post-240929
How much padding does that have?

One concern I have with that is that the knock block on my Trek prevents putting the front wheel at a full 90-degree angle. My full sized tailgate pad helps with that. I think @Law 's design could work too.

kylealden

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Tesla Model Y, Zero DSR/X, '69 CJ5
Occupation
Product Management
How much padding does that have?

One concern I have with that is that the knock block on my Trek prevents putting the front wheel at a full 90-degree angle. My full sized tailgate pad helps with that. I think @Law 's design could work too.
Not a lot (maybe a half inch?) and it only covers the tube/stanchions, so you do want to watch out for wheel contact. Hasn't been an issue for me but I could see how it would be with different steering.

Part of the reason I'm comfortable using it is that I have PPF, so a little scuffing isn't stressing me out. With the tiedowns it feels a lot more secure than bike pads I've tried, though.

DTown3011

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
So what is the preferred tailgate pad of choice these days?

Im also pretty sure I will need a hitch extender for my Kuat rack if im taking it for travel.

Sponsored

duessell

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Not a lot (maybe a half inch?) and it only covers the tube/stanchions, so you do want to watch out for wheel contact. Hasn't been an issue for me but I could see how it would be with different steering.

Part of the reason I'm comfortable using it is that I have PPF, so a little scuffing isn't stressing me out. With the tiedowns it feels a lot more secure than bike pads I've tried, though.
I put PPF above the tail light as well. Potential for tire scratching other parts aside, I'm more worried about the little dents a few folks have gotten in the ridge there.

duessell

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles

DavidP-R1TAdventures

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 1989 Alfa Romeo Spider
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

I would not recommend the DaKine pad. Straps don’t secure properly on smaller (normal) down tubes.

Rivian635

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW X5, Acura MDX Hybrid, Honda CRV
I am but not sure when, I am testing different materials. I will pick it back up after winter, in the spring.
I have spent countless hours researching the best solution for carrying 1-2 bikes (quick to load / unload) and I think @Law has the best solution on many fronts . PLEASE brother - make a few for us ;->. Everyone goes with the big One Up racks (I have two already from my ICE vehicles - but they are heavy, take up room when off the truck, reverse alarm goes all the time, are expensive, major aero drag at highway speeds with bikes hanging off the back, etc.. ).

The one bummer about an EV and bike transport - if you are on a road trip and you need to charge for a length of time... your bike is visible. Not an issue with a quick ICE fill-up. Also not an issue really with the R1S because the bike could be inside for road trips.

Mark_AZR1T

Site Sponsor
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Website
jackpucks.com
Vehicles
R1T Launch, R1S Canyon Red
Clubs

Only way you'll seat a tubeless would be to set the compressor at like 80 lbs. and hope for the best then pull the chuk once it seats. As a previous poster mentioned the flow rate is too slow. I'm going to try it for fun and report back.
I did get the onboard compressor to reseat a tubeless tire, which was previously seated and then I had to replace a valve stem. I alway use a plastic tire iron to move one side of my tire as far to the edge of my wheel as possible. Reseat worked and beads popped into place.......Assegai......
Sponsored