R1T accessories & options wish list.

ohmman

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Model X LR, 2014 Model S P85
Interesting that you correlated vampire drain to consumption while operating. The Rivians lower efficiency that the Tesla is likely largely due to aero, weight, and other factors that would only come into play while driving.
I think it more likely that the drain will be closer in Wh/day rather than miles/day. Plus Tesla is pretty much at the top of the charts for vampire drain, and I think it likely Rivian will be lower.
It’s a good point, and one worth considering. I sort of scaled it that way because my Model S has a lower vampire drain (in Wh/day) than my X, but surely you are correct that it isn’t related to driving consumption, just more electronic draw.
Sponsored

jimrichard

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2003 Toyota Tundra, 2017 Infiniti Q50
Occupation
Self
Adding wind power to the front of an EV isn't going to work. It would be like driving while having regenerative braking engaged.
Not necessarily if the turbines didn't take up any extra space like in the very front bumper. Not saying this would really be viable it just never occured to me to even think about it before. I would guess ev designers have thought about it and it wasn't worth it to loose the aerodynamics.

timf

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Clubs

Are any commonly-seen vehicle seats truly "cooled"? I thought they were all ventilated. The Rivian's will be ventilated.
The seats offered by Ford/Lincoln definitely have a cooling aspect to them. The seats in my Model X, as well as seats I've experienced in GM products, only provide ventilation and not active cooling. It's unclear which type Rivian will end up with, but I'm hoping they are able to use the Ford technology.

Dr. Byrd

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T, 2001 Mustang GT convertible
Occupation
Professor, consultant, farmer
My Jeep seats are technically just ventilated. However, when they’re on and the A/C is on, they can get quite chilly. Effective enough that I’m happy with them at least.

Wanderoften

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Tundra
I want to see a way to very securely attach both road and mountain bikes by the forks with a mount like this one: https://www.rockymounts.com/collections/truck-mounts-adaptors/products/loball-track

mtb-fork-mount.jpg

I need some way to attach bikes in a very secure manner that can handle ungraded rough dirt roads at speed for multiple hours. Many bike racks are wobbly and insecure and/or damage the bike frame. I'd rather not have a hitch-mount rack extending the length of the vehicle and reducing departure angles. With tailgate pads, I'm worried about vehicle paint/body damage, especially after dust and mud works it's way underneath the padding and vibrations do their thing. Having a solution like the picture above also hopefully is reasonably aero, hidden behind the cab.

Good news is that it looks like the Rivian roof crossbars have a track that could support mounting a fork block as linked above.
rivian-roof-rails.jpg

My only worry is that the bed of the R1T isn't long enough with the positions of those two bars on the bed. So what I hope is possible is to have some way to attach the fork block and other accessories (like a tool box?) to this flat piece that hides away the tonneau cover:

rivian-bed.jpg

Or alternatively, some drilling-free way to add accessories inside the bed, lower down (to keep the tonneau functional), but still as far forwards as possible, so something like a track like this can be installed: https://www.rockymounts.com/collections/truck-mounts-adaptors/products/jeep-gladiator-bike-rack
jeep-gladiator-track.jpg

One of the benefits of production being delayed by 6 months, and deliveries still a whole year away is that there's time to think about and add details such as this? :fingerscrossed:

Sponsored

Wanderoften

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Tundra
I’ve used a tailgate pad for five years with almost no visible wear on the paint. I like the convenience of being able to just throw the bikes on there quickly. If that we’re a major concern you could always put a clear wrap on that portion of the paint. The locking cable Rivian is showing is in the perfect spot for a tailgate setup. i also like that when the bikes aren’t loaded the bed functionality isn’t hindered by attachments that might get in the way.

I’d certainly prefer to avoid going back to a fork mount if possible and an upright rack would take up most of the bed length even if it were elevated on the racks. To each their own, but I like the convenience of the tailgate pad. My only reservation is mine doesn’t work that well on my gravel bike so road bikes also may not ride as securely.

aAlpine

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ioniq 5, 4Runner
Cold weather has reminded me how much I use my windshield wiper defrosters on my 4runner. Hopefully this comes on the R1T. In an EV where excess heat isn't available for free, I'd think it would be an especially nice feature.

Ginny

First Name
Ginny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 escalade ext, 2019 corvette
Occupation
retired
The seats offered by Ford/Lincoln definitely have a cooling aspect to them. The seats in my Model X, as well as seats I've experienced in GM products, only provide ventilation and not active cooling. It's unclear which type Rivian will end up with, but I'm hoping they are able to use the Ford technology.
My ext has great cooled and heated seats, so gm has that capability!

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla XLR+2019, Lexus, Landcruiser, R1T
Occupation
EE Retired
I think we can count on heated but not cooled seats. Heated seats grant considerable power savings in cold weather.

Jehorton

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Model Y Performance
Occupation
Firefighter/Paramedic
I think we can count on heated but not cooled seats. Heated seats grant considerable power savings in cold weather.
How would you know?

Sponsored

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
EE Retired
How would you know?
As the first sentence does not suggest knowledge but rather the assessment that the probablility of having seats heated but not cooled is high I will assume that you are asking how I know heated seats represent a power saving relative to cabin heat. Well I know that as I have experienced it and I know that because common sense says that will be the case and finally I know that because the manual for my car suggests using the seat heater as opposed to cabin heat as a means of extending range in cold weather.

A seat heater uses a hundred watts or so. An electrical cabin heater - kilowatts. In a vehicle with a heat pump (MY) the advantage is less in the temperature range where the heat pump is effective.

If you are asking me why I think the probability is high that Rivian will have heated seats (and probably steering wheel too) it's because
1)Rivian is not dumb
2)Heated seats can extend range appreciably in cold weather
3)Tesla has them

If you are asking me why I don't think they will have cooled seats it's because getting cool to the seats is a lot more complicated than getting heat to them. With the complexity comes power consumption and range reduction.

Just so we are clear I do not know how Rivian will actually implement any of these features. I'm going to have to wait and see just as everyone else must.

Last edited:

Jehorton

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Model Y Performance
Occupation
Firefighter/Paramedic
As the first sentence does not suggest knowledge but rather the assessment that the probablility of having seats heated but not cooled is high I will assume that you are asking how I know heated seats represent a power saving relative to cabin heat. Well I know that as I have experienced it and I know that because common sense says that will be the case and finally I know that because the manual for my car suggests using the seat heater as opposed to cabin heat as a means of extending range in cold weather.

A seat heater uses a hundred watts or so. An electrical cabin heater - kilowatts. In a vehicle with a heat pump (MY) the advantage is less in the temperature range where the heat pump is effective
That is not was I was asking. I’m purely asking on what information would you think only heated seats would be applied to these “high end vehicles”.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
EE Retired
That is not was I was asking. I’m purely asking on what information would you think only heated seats would be applied to these “high end vehicles”.
A seat heater uses a hundred watts or so. An electrical cabin heater - kilowatts. In a vehicle with a heat pump (MY) the advantage is less in the temperature range where the heat pump is effective.

If you are asking me why I don't think they will have cooled seats it's because getting cool to the seats is a lot more complicated than getting heat to them. With the complexity comes power consumption and range reduction.

Jehorton

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Model Y Performance
Occupation
Firefighter/Paramedic
So you believe just on the fact that seat heating would use less energy that this company would not give the option for seat cooling ?

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
EE Retired
I would guess ev designers have thought about it and it wasn't worth it to loose the aerodynamics.
It would be the laws of thermodynamics that would be "loosed".
Sponsored