Sponsored

R1T accessories & options wish list.

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
On the comfortable seats front. I've ridden passenger in the Model 3 and really really didn't appreciate the non-adjustable headrests. I don't think I would have been comfortable in the car for more than 30 minutes, they were too forward and hit me at the wrong spot (I'm 6'1, not that uncommon of a height), forcing me to hunch over. I was keen on a Model 3 at the time and it was a full deal breaker, incredibly simple feature but important. The dealer said it was to save costs but I'm sure they could have sacrificed something else.
RJ is your height, if not slightly taller. I suspect you won't have any such "tall people" comfort issues with Rivian.
Sponsored

DucRider

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, Ioniq, R1S
The canted forward design common on most new vehicles helps them meet crash test safety standards. The other option is one that moves to that position during a crash. Guess which one costs less?

canoemonkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Discovery Sport
Occupation
Nature-Based Solutions Project Developer
The canted forward design common on most new vehicles helps them meet crash test safety standards. The other option is one that moves to that position during a crash. Guess which one costs less?
Oh... interesting. Makes much more sense in that case. Still... uncomfortable.

godfodder0901

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Honda Civic EX, 2022 Rivian R1T LE
Hey Folks. First post!
Understanding there will be adaptable roof rack configurations, I would love to see an option for an extendable rear rack that extends from the back or mid of the bed frame to the height of a front rack on top of the cab to carry canoes and kayaks. There are aftermarket solution to this for existing pick-up but would love it if could be easily integrated and seamlessly integrate with the accessory package on the Rivian. Something to a similar a hybrid of the below.

If it could telescope from the bed frame and breakaway in the middle somehow (in a nice and substantial way) so that it could hide away, that would be amazing. I will have canoes on this R1T either way! I'm sure Rivian can innovate;)

1596578169081.png

1596577908998.png
The rail system that Rivian has designed will be able to telescope, allowing the rails on the bed (x2) to match the height of the rails on the roof (x2). They will also collapse in order to mount inside the bed, as well as on the rails.

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)
They will also collapse in order to mount inside the bed, as well as on the rails.
I believe these are for mounting the roof racks as well in the R1S. I do not know if there is another set further forward when the seats are folded.

Rivian R1T R1S R1T accessories & options wish list. FB_IMG_1580189331057~2

Sponsored

SharkSisB

First Name
Barbara
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2006 Honda Ridgeline
Occupation
attorney
Hi Jacob and all,

I join you in wishing for this: "Fold up rear seats or at least access to a flat floor in the cab."

At the NY auto show (April 2019) I asked several Rivian folks about the rear seat design before I paid my deposit, hoping that they could have the rear seats fold up toward the back to expose a flat floor in the back seat area (similar to the Honda Ridgeline). Staff - including one of the "designers" - said that the rear seat design was still being discussed. Unfortunately, in emails of April 27-28, 2020, Rivian staff told me that: "The second row seat cushions fold forward towards the front seats."

I had asked about this because I wanted the flat floor space for either transporting bikes securely (instead of exposed in the truck bed) or having my big mutts join me on road trips. When I nudged Rivian for more specifics about whether the fold-up design would allow for flat floor space in the rear cab the reply was: "The rear cab has some storage space. The underseat storage volume for the rear seats of the R1T is 3.4 cubic ft. For your purposes, the dog won't be able to lay down there."

Would it be worth starting a new thread on this topic to see how much interest there is in advocating for a design change? I suggest that the underseat storage is not as important for a vehicle that already has the storage tunnel and front-of-vehicle "frunk" space to store smaller cargo under cover, right? Why not provide that rear flat floor space that allows so much more cargo room inside the cab - a great feature for those who live in climates where we want to carry our cargo inside the cab instead of exposed in the truck bed? And, of course, the big mutts need a place to be with us safely, and sitting up on a rear seat - even if they could fit up there - is not as safe for them as being on the floor of the cab, with a harness latched into a floor-mounted hook.

Thanks in advance to everyone who comments!

Babbuino

First Name
Manuel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A3
Occupation
DESIGN engineer
On the comfortable seats front. I've ridden passenger in the Model 3 and really really didn't appreciate the non-adjustable headrests. I don't think I would have been comfortable in the car for more than 30 minutes, they were too forward and hit me at the wrong spot (I'm 6'1, not that uncommon of a height), forcing me to hunch over. I was keen on a Model 3 at the time and it was a full deal breaker, incredibly simple feature but important. The dealer said it was to save costs but I'm sure they could have sacrificed something else.
For reference, I found this old video with Shaq getting in a Rivian.

ja_kub_sz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 LR Discovery, 2019 LR Range Rover Velar
Hi Jacob and all,

I join you in wishing for this: "Fold up rear seats or at least access to a flat floor in the cab."

At the NY auto show (April 2019) I asked several Rivian folks about the rear seat design before I paid my deposit, hoping that they could have the rear seats fold up toward the back to expose a flat floor in the back seat area (similar to the Honda Ridgeline). Staff - including one of the "designers" - said that the rear seat design was still being discussed. Unfortunately, in emails of April 27-28, 2020, Rivian staff told me that: "The second row seat cushions fold forward towards the front seats."

I had asked about this because I wanted the flat floor space for either transporting bikes securely (instead of exposed in the truck bed) or having my big mutts join me on road trips. When I nudged Rivian for more specifics about whether the fold-up design would allow for flat floor space in the rear cab the reply was: "The rear cab has some storage space. The underseat storage volume for the rear seats of the R1T is 3.4 cubic ft. For your purposes, the dog won't be able to lay down there."

Would it be worth starting a new thread on this topic to see how much interest there is in advocating for a design change? I suggest that the underseat storage is not as important for a vehicle that already has the storage tunnel and front-of-vehicle "frunk" space to store smaller cargo under cover, right? Why not provide that rear flat floor space that allows so much more cargo room inside the cab - a great feature for those who live in climates where we want to carry our cargo inside the cab instead of exposed in the truck bed? And, of course, the big mutts need a place to be with us safely, and sitting up on a rear seat - even if they could fit up there - is not as safe for them as being on the floor of the cab, with a harness latched into a floor-mounted hook.

I'm torn as for the fold up seats and access to a flat interior cargo area within the cab.

Pros:
* It would be a very large, enclosed storage area with unique dimensions in regards to the other storage areas (frunk, bed & tunnel).
* Climate controlled area for storage with access within the cab (other areas do not allow this).

Cons:
* The gear tunnel does provide a unique access system to cargo storage not seen in other vehicles, along with seating areas
* Enclosed storage does provide an important element of separation of cargo from the passenger areas. But this is also done by the frunk and bed already.

Honestly I would want the R1T to have a bed and cab design similar to the Chevy Avalanche and be able to have a flat storage area in the cab, but also to fold the cab/bed wall and seats into the the cab area to enlarge the size of the bed. Still leave the pass through openings on the sides of the vehicle for ease of access to cargo in the bed, and to act as steps and seating as Rivian intended.

The gear tunnel is neat, but I think it limits the overall utility compared to having an adaptable cab/bed.

aAlpine

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ioniq 5, 4Runner
I want to see a way to very securely attach both road and mountain bikes by the forks with a mount like this one: https://www.rockymounts.com/collections/truck-mounts-adaptors/products/loball-track

Rivian R1T R1S R1T accessories & options wish list. mtb-fork-mount

I need some way to attach bikes in a very secure manner that can handle ungraded rough dirt roads at speed for multiple hours. Many bike racks are wobbly and insecure and/or damage the bike frame. I'd rather not have a hitch-mount rack extending the length of the vehicle and reducing departure angles. With tailgate pads, I'm worried about vehicle paint/body damage, especially after dust and mud works it's way underneath the padding and vibrations do their thing. Having a solution like the picture above also hopefully is reasonably aero, hidden behind the cab.

Good news is that it looks like the Rivian roof crossbars have a track that could support mounting a fork block as linked above.
Rivian R1T R1S R1T accessories & options wish list. rivian-roof-rails

My only worry is that the bed of the R1T isn't long enough with the positions of those two bars on the bed. So what I hope is possible is to have some way to attach the fork block and other accessories (like a tool box?) to this flat piece that hides away the tonneau cover:

Rivian R1T R1S R1T accessories & options wish list. rivian-bed

Or alternatively, some drilling-free way to add accessories inside the bed, lower down (to keep the tonneau functional), but still as far forwards as possible, so something like a track like this can be installed: https://www.rockymounts.com/collections/truck-mounts-adaptors/products/jeep-gladiator-bike-rack
Rivian R1T R1S R1T accessories & options wish list. jeep-gladiator-track

One of the benefits of production being delayed by 6 months, and deliveries still a whole year away is that there's time to think about and add details such as this? :fingerscrossed:

jarross

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Forester XT, Chevy Silverado
Occupation
Pharmacist
They are going to bee more than rock sliders. The entire floor of the battery is going to need to be majorly re-enforced to protect from of-road use.
I talked to one of the engineers in Denver. He said one of their battery pack armouring tests was to drop THE TRUCK from 3 meters onto a 2 inch spike (I don't know why they mixed metric and imperial units). Anyway, no damage resulted. Seems impossible, but that is what he said

Sponsored

torgo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Xterra Pro4X; R1T
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

I talked to one of the engineers in Denver. He said one of their battery pack armouring tests was to drop THE TRUCK from 3 meters onto a 2 inch spike (I don't know why they mixed metric and imperial units). Anyway, no damage resulted. Seems impossible, but that is what he said
That's a pretty massive confidence boost if I've ever read one!

Babbuino

First Name
Manuel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A3
Occupation
DESIGN engineer
Any info on cooled seats? I'm guessing at minimum we'll get ventilated ones

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)
Any info on cooled seats? I'm guessing at minimum we'll get ventilated ones
Yes, heated & ventilated seats will be available. I remember someone speaking to them about this at an event, and that they are proud of the ventilation design.

ja_kub_sz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 LR Discovery, 2019 LR Range Rover Velar
Hi Jacob and all,

I'd say go for it. Start a thread and see what people think. I would be in favor of it, but I already posted how I thought an Avalanche style fold down cab/bed patrician wall would be the most versatile for the R1T.

I'm doubtful thought it'll change any time soon with production being so close.

Maybe the R2T... Just maybe?
Sponsored