First Name
Zak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T, 2004 V70R, 2001 VehiCROSS, 2005 Forester
Occupation
Student
I believe they have said that they will be released closer together than they planned prior to the pandemic.
Where did you see that? Because that would be splendid news if true!
Sponsored

Shzeph

First Name
Zak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Student
I confirmed that it had been written in this article before I wrote my previous post, but it might appear in other places.

https://techcrunch.com/2020/05/28/r...livery-van-still-on-track-as-factory-reopens/
No worries, I found it in there.

For those curious, here’s the relevant part:

“The COVID-19 pandemic forced the company to adjust its timeline due to supply constraints. However, Rivian is now working on bringing the production and delivery timeline of the R1T and R1S closer together”

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
Definitely exciting if true but I would put more stock in that statement if it were attributed to a specific source from inside Rivian. As written, it is just an unsubstantiated claim.

Given that so much "press" originates from various forum posts and speculation....

Lmirafuente

First Name
Lionel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla, Audi Cabriolet
I agree with all that has been said.

I think the race to market will drive Rivian's priorities.

Rivian reservation holders may have waiting-fatigue, especially me with a reservation slot from Dec 2018.... people may look at other options by the time Rivian starts production. So if they can capture revenue with R1T's and R1S's simultaneously or within weeks or a couple of months of each other...they could protect that potential revenue stream from defecting (wink) to a Mach-e, Lordstown, or other BEV's like Lucid Motors, Audi, VW, Ford, GM, etc.......

For me, I will wait for a Rivian. I am still not sure which way to go...truck or suv....

Sponsored

OP
OP
Coast2Coast

Coast2Coast

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1981 Volvo wagn; 2006 Tacoma SR5; 2021 Toy Mirai
Lmirafuente, I'm Nov. 30, 2018, and 10:30 a.m., if it comes to that. We're both long suffering acolytes.

I'm also up in the air between the R1S and R1T, and I started this thread to try and help me and others decide. I don't change my mind in a single day, and I can usually push myself one way or the other when I say, "okay, I have to decide; this is it." However, from several days to several days, I can change my mind.

As said above, 90-95% of the time, maybe even 98% of the time, both are great vehicles and can do whatever I need and want them to do. It's that every once in a while, once in a blue moon, when push comes to shove moment, when I'll say, "gosh, I wish I had a R1T" or will I be saying, "I should've gotten a RIS"?

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
It's that every once in a while, once in a blue moon, when push comes to shove moment, when I'll say, "gosh, I wish I had a R1T" or will I be saying, "I should've gotten a RIS"?
This is where you have to accept the fact that you will have those moments regardless of which decision you make. If you buy the R1T, there will be times you wish you had the R1S. If you buy the R1S, there will be times when you wish you had the R1T. There is absolutely no way one vehicle can serve every possible need you will have during your time of ownership. If your "regretful moments" only happen once in a blue moon, that means you really can't go wrong with whichever decision you make. And if they're both essentially functionally equivalent for your needs, go with whichever "speaks" to you style wise. And if you still need a tie breaker, the R1T might be a few $$ cheaper and available sooner.

Moonjock

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 Chevrolet Avalanche
Occupation
Lab Tech
Lmirafuente, I'm Nov. 30, 2018, and 10:30 a.m., if it comes to that. We're both long suffering acolytes.

I'm also up in the air between the R1S and R1T, and I started this thread to try and help me and others decide. I don't change my mind in a single day, and I can usually push myself one way or the other when I say, "okay, I have to decide; this is it." However, from several days to several days, I can change my mind.

As said above, 90-95% of the time, maybe even 98% of the time, both are great vehicles and can do whatever I need and want them to do. It's that every once in a while, once in a blue moon, when push comes to shove moment, when I'll say, "gosh, I wish I had a R1T" or will I be saying, "I should've gotten a RIS"?
It sounds to me like you need one of each.

EyeOnRivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E 4X, Mitsubishi Endeavor. Pre-order: R1S LE
I agree with all that has been said.

I think the race to market will drive Rivian's priorities.

Rivian reservation holders may have waiting-fatigue, especially me with a reservation slot from Dec 2018.... people may look at other options by the time Rivian starts production. So if they can capture revenue with R1T's and R1S's simultaneously or within weeks or a couple of months of each other...they could protect that potential revenue stream from defecting (wink) to a Mach-e, Lordstown, or other BEV's like Lucid Motors, Audi, VW, Ford, GM, etc.......
Ditto. And to your point, I received the following in an email yesterday from Ford - "the all-electric Mustang Mach‍-‍E you reserved is almost yours. In the next few days, you’ll be able to take the important step of completing your order and verifying your details to confirm your place in line. "

Shzeph

First Name
Zak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Student
Yeah, I agree that Rivian could be st risk of losing its enthusiasm gap vs upcoming EVs from traditional automakers. I put in my pre-order December 13 2018, and while I do plan on waiting for the R1S, I really wish Rivian would give us more concrete details and less “Here’s some people fly fishing” videos

Sponsored

OP
OP
Coast2Coast

Coast2Coast

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivians, we hope, are different and, as far as we know, they are. Relative to established OEMs, they're no legacy systems, brand traditions and entrenched bureaucracies to be appeased or appealed to. All good. Relative to newcomers, none of them appear as far along in terms of management knowhow, engineering talent and goodness, production ready facilities and big name/big bucks backers. All good.

I want to think our patience and early allegiance to the Rivian way is about to pay off. It's the Summer of 2020, and isn't the configurator about to be released? I doubt it.

A configurator won't be released before early Fall, another 3-4 months. Why? Once a configurator's online, we start configuring and placing orders. What's the expected time gap between placing an order and picking up a vehicle? 60 days, give or take. I don't really know, never having placed a custom order for a vehicle, but 30 days seems too few, and 90 seems too long, so I split the difference.

If this is reasonable, 60 day lead time between ordering and delivery, before a configurator comes online, Rivian must complete the following: 1) a paint line set up and validated; 2) a battery set up and validated; 3) a production line set up and validated; 4) a hundred or more test vehicles have to be produced and gone over with a fine tooth comb not only to identify where problems exist but also how to remove them.

That's a lot of set-up, proofing and quality assuring and, undoubtedly, I'm missing a lot. (I'm not an auto manufacturing/assembly guy.) This sounds like at least 3 months of work. Is it done before, during, or after the configurator comes online? This is the key question.

At a minimum, these things always take more time than you think they will and should, so these matters are worked out during a time when the configurator comes online. If you want to be certain everything that could go wrong has been taken care of - and RJ and Rivian seem to be that sort of persona - the configurator comes online only after all such matters are resolved.

So that's my logic. A configurator can't come online until near the end of the set up, testing, quality assuring, preliminary production/assembly process or it's been finished. If this is correct and it will take three months for the process to be completed, then September-October is when the configurator will come online. Maybe August at the earliest but, then again, given RJ and Rivian's desire to under-promise and over-deliver, Rivian won't rush these final steps.

If there are forum members with experience in setting up configurators, final proofing auto assembly operations or have knowledge of timing intervals between setting up configurators and starting up assembly operations, please jump in. We'd like something definite on which to hand our hats in terms of when we might start ordering and picking up our new Rivians.

In short, I'm guessing at least three more months before a configurator comes online.

As far as the thread's original theme, the R1S vs R1T choice, the R1S in white is spectacular. I saw it at the Mill Valley/SF event. It looks like a SUV in a tux, given the white body and blacked out windows and roof. The R1T in RJ blue is equally spectacular but somehow entirely different - a do anything, go anywhere, right tool for the job kind of vehicle. A darker blue might be nice too, but I wouldn't want to go any lighter than RJ blue.

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
@Coast2Coast I don't know that there is really much of a precedent for configurator timing. They could even release it in phases with the first phase revealing final color and options but without the ability to convert a reservation to an order or perhaps even without final pricing. Who knows how they will roll this out.

That said, the Polestar 2 configurator just recently started taking orders and it looks like their initial deliveries may begin in September - so somewhere in that 60-90 day window you've suggested.

Shzeph

First Name
Zak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Student
Well, ultimately all we can do is cross our fingers and hope. The configurator has been delayed at least twice by my count, so a third time wouldn’t be unprecedented.

That being said, I’ve seen official emails from Rivian that say the configurator will be online “Late this summer.” So I’m still holding out hope we’ll see it sometime in August, MAYBE late July if the stars align

OP
OP
Coast2Coast

Coast2Coast

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
SHzeph, were those official Rivian emails before or after the COVID-19 lockdown? Obviously, if before, then Rivian will likely push back the configurator's release.

Shzeph

First Name
Zak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Student
SHzeph, were those official Rivian emails before or after the COVID-19 lockdown? Obviously, if before, then Rivian will likely push back the configurator's release.
It was a confirmation email for someone who placed their deposit in the middle of May, so after the lockdown. They posted it on a FB group I’m part of.

Rivian R1T R1S R1S vs R1T Decision: Help...and Let's Play 5629F8F5-EC27-48B1-8C28-6C8BF2F6837F
Sponsored