First Name
Ethan
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ethan
Vehicles
2008 Nissan Xterra, 1967 Chevrolet Camaro
Well, the best ones I have seen have been tire mount that fold down. They impact total length zero and have no impact on day to day access to the rear of the vehicle. So, remove the tire and add an attachment point or boss that is designed for various accessories - ski/snowbard rack, bikes, etc. Perhaps a clever way to make the boss/attachment point "hidden" in some way. It really only works for swing out doors though and of course Rivian does not have that.

The other convenient but less sturdy mounting via straps and "rest" on the back of the vehicle. Again if the arms fold down very little impact to overall length.

I'll think on it some more but there has to be some better way than lifting two/three bikes 6 feet and attaching them or a PITA hitch attachment. Hopefully some engineer can crack that nut. Someone ping Rivian and have them kick of a design challenge. I'd give it a shot if they ask lol. :)

Godawgs

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicles
Chevy Equinox; Toyota 4Runner
As I mentioned I am definitely in the R1S camp - mainly due to me being a urban dweller. The one thing I dislike about my current SUV is the hitch mount bike carrier on the back. It sticks out 1.5 feet and makes opening the rear door a two step process. Taking it on and off for a ride and then storing is also a major pain. If I have to mount another hitch based bike carrier I might as well get the R1T - it would be the same length - but bikes in the bed. Lifting and securing bikes on top of a 6 foot car does not sound super fun.

I honestly think there could be some innovation in the space, perhaps from Rivian...The designs of bike racks are pretty stagnant as far as the actual car manufacturers go. I have some designs actually but alas I don't work in automotive :p

Just some thoughts...
What type of rack do you have?
The Kuat NV 2.0 makes it fairly easy to tilt the rack and open the back. The new 1up USA rack also makes opening the rear an easy job with the rack on. Both fairly expensive racks, but well worth the money if you ride a lot.

Lmirafuente

First Name
Lionel
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lionel
Vehicles
BMW740i, Trailblazer, Audi Cabriolet
As we talk about the R1S, wouldn’t it be cool if somehow a step could come out of the floor board of the R1S so that you can comfortably work on putting a bike or other gear on the roof of the SUV?

We know a gear tunnel cannot be done on the R1S, but certainly a flat step-out could slide out since the skateboard frame is flat. I understand that is simplistic, so may be a step flips down either from the door itself, or from the floorboard some how. Since the back seat are storage options beneath that middle row or on the R1T, maybe an option for the slide out step could be made.

Lastly, with the same theory above, I was thinking of a ramp for dogs would be cool coming out of the back of the R1S or R1T, however, for either, the spare tire would block that idea.

EyeOnRivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mitsubishi Endeavor, pre-ordered R1S but may change to R1T
What type of rack do you have?
The Kuat NV 2.0 makes it fairly easy to tilt the rack and open the back. The new 1up USA rack also makes opening the rear an easy job with the rack on. Both fairly expensive racks, but well worth the money if you ride a lot.
Those are two nice racks but I still wonder how effective a tilt rack system would be with regards to gaining access to the cargo area when the rear entry is a split hatch - lower half a tail gate and upper half (window) swings up like a hatch - which the R1S has.

BTW, here are two decent demo vids for the Kuat NV 2.0 and 1up USA racks.

hola29

First Name
Ethan
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ethan
Vehicles
2008 Nissan Xterra, 1967 Chevrolet Camaro
I have a Thule that swings out Sao access the back with three bikes on is possible, but still a pain. The extension when parallel parking is also a bummer. Maybe just the way it goes, but would be awesome if someone engineered something integrated or novel.

The model I have I believe is the (actually the model before it)
Thule Apex XT Swing 4