Sponsored

jffkm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
model 3
Not necessarily? Looking at the picture below, the minimum width could be referring to the top width since the sides taper in? If that were the case, based on the other dimensions a 4x8 might fit. Worst case, if you are just hauling a few sheets, put a couple of "props" (4x4, etc.) under one side so it fits on an angle. Not ideal of course, but it would work.

I'm gonna be optimistic that they planned on a 4x8 laying flat. 😌

1653587596743.png
Granted, this was >1yr ago, but CS told me it would not fit flat. you have to prop it up on the arm rests to lay parallel to the ground. It's a big bummer b/c that's a major limitation for our use case. putting too many sheet goods on the roof is not an option due to weight.
Sponsored

VHRivian

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 Chevrolet Traverse
Not necessarily? Looking at the picture below, the minimum width could be referring to the top width since the sides taper in? If that were the case, based on the other dimensions a 4x8 might fit. Worst case, if you are just hauling a few sheets, put a couple of "props" (4x4, etc.) under one side so it fits on an angle. Not ideal of course, but it would work.

I'm gonna be optimistic that they planned on a 4x8 laying flat. 😌

1653587596743.png
I actually don't mind this setup at all. A couple a towels on the armrests and 4x8 plywood sits on top. They even engineered the latches for the lower tailgate to sit in that plastic bump-out that matches the armrest height so that the plywood will be supported in the rear and other materials can slide under. The room behind the front seats is only 7' (if I am reading that correctly), so it seems like length will be the bigger issue. And it looks like the upper hatch latches to the lower tailgate so leaving the bottom open while closing the top won't work either? Not sure how that would work.

agame32

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Model Y
Has anyone posted this 3rd row seat video? Can we add it to the OP?

SlaterGS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Nissan Leaf, Chrysler Pacifica Hybrid
Clubs

Has anyone posted this 3rd row seat video? Can we add it to the OP?

It was linked back on page 7 I believe. But yes it should be added to OP and noted that they are 5'3"

agame32

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Model Y
It was linked back on page 7 I believe. But yes it should be added to OP and noted that they are 5'3"
FWIW… In the twitter replies, Jenna claims to be 5’5” - 5’6”.

Sponsored

cwinters

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Pacifica Hybrid, R1S LE
I actually don't mind this setup at all. A couple a towels on the armrests and 4x8 plywood sits on top. They even engineered the latches for the lower tailgate to sit in that plastic bump-out that matches the armrest height so that the plywood will be supported in the rear and other materials can slide under. The room behind the front seats is only 7' (if I am reading that correctly), so it seems like length will be the bigger issue. And it looks like the upper hatch latches to the lower tailgate so leaving the bottom open while closing the top won't work either? Not sure how that would work.
In the show models one could snap the roof rails into those tracks and make a level-ish platform with them and the armrest. Wonder if that is still the case?

Friscorays

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
G35, V8 Vantage, 4C, F type
You may be correct. What we see in video may in fact be pre-production:
Videos appear to show two different vehicles when it comes to the underfloor rear storage area. My guess is that they filmed one R1S with spare while being introduced to the vehicle by Rivian personal and were given a second R1S without spare for the actual trip.

Screen grabs with one of the sisters wearing pink top show separate compartments in the undertray for air compressor hose and first aid kit with shallow center area corresponding to area under which the spare tire would sit as shown in the diagram from owner's guide posted in this thread.

Other screen grabs with them actually packing for the trip show a deeper undertray without the separate divided areas for the compressor hose and first aid kit; presumably because the vehicle is not equipped with optional spare.
Rivian R1T R1S R1S first look videos from Yosemite [shows space available with seats folded, connections, & storage] Screen Shot 2022-05-26 at 4.19.32 PM
Rivian R1T R1S R1S first look videos from Yosemite [shows space available with seats folded, connections, & storage] Screen Shot 2022-05-26 at 4.20.17 PM
Rivian R1T R1S R1S first look videos from Yosemite [shows space available with seats folded, connections, & storage] Screen Shot 2022-05-26 at 4.17.00 PM
Rivian R1T R1S R1S first look videos from Yosemite [shows space available with seats folded, connections, & storage] Screen Shot 2022-05-26 at 4.19.01 PM

Gator42

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Defender

koersontap

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
None!
Occupation
Engineer
In the show models one could snap the roof rails into those tracks and make a level-ish platform with them and the armrest. Wonder if that is still the case?
I keep asking that specific question, and the only response I've ever gotten is some variation of "Oh, that would be interesting, but I have no ideas."

Sponsored

SoCalTravels

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Hyundai Nexo, Lexus RX450h
what concerns me about this, is it appears that her head is above the ceiling and in the space open for the glass. Doesn’t seem like the 3rd row will be usable for anyone much taller than these two ladies.

second observation is it appears they had the 2nd row seats in a straight vertical position (uncomfortably upright). Will be good to get a better idea of 3rd row legroom with the 2nd row in a comfortably adjusted position.

Zoidz

First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 R1S Adv, Avalanche, BMWs-X3,330cic,K1200RS bike
Occupation
Engineer
Granted, this was >1yr ago, but CS told me it would not fit flat. you have to prop it up on the arm rests to lay parallel to the ground. It's a big bummer b/c that's a major limitation for our use case. putting too many sheet goods on the roof is not an option due to weight.
Carrying sheet goods on the roof is never an option for me., even if I would think I have it secured well. Unexpected aerodynamics/gusts could lead to this.
Rivian R1T R1S R1S first look videos from Yosemite [shows space available with seats folded, connections, & storage] 1653604181331

Rivian R1T R1S R1S first look videos from Yosemite [shows space available with seats folded, connections, & storage] 1653604317899

Zoidz

First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 R1S Adv, Avalanche, BMWs-X3,330cic,K1200RS bike
Occupation
Engineer
what concerns me about this, is it appears that her head is above the ceiling and in the space open for the glass. Doesn’t seem like the 3rd row will be usable for anyone much taller than these two ladies.

second observation is it appears they had the 2nd row seats in a straight vertical position (uncomfortably upright). Will be good to get a better idea of 3rd row legroom with the 2nd row in a comfortably adjusted position.
If I understand your concern, it's that she is sitting on the tailgate and her head is close to the roof so taller people will be challenged? The floor is flat with the seat folded down. With the seat back up, you will be seated lower - you gain the thickness of the seat back in headroom.

SoCalTravels

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Hyundai Nexo, Lexus RX450h
no, I was referring to the 2nd video of the ladies sitting in the 3rd row seats.

If I understand your concern, it's that she is sitting on the tailgate and her head is close to the roof so taller people will be challenged? The floor is flat with the seat folded down. With the seat back up, you will be seated lower - you gain the thickness of the seat back in headroom.

OP
OP
kanundrum

kanundrum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Giulia QV, R1S (S00N)
Occupation
IT
Clubs

Love/Hated the road trip video because it shows how easy it is to pack people and go. Now Im just going to start renting a Pacficia for my Summer trips (that were suppose to be with the Rivian) or just 2 electric cars and split up the family oh well.
Sponsored