lefkonj

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A7/Q3 R1S ordered
Clubs

I have an fun exercise in front of me. With a R1S on order I was hoping to just extend my current lease, which ends in April, until the Rivian arrives. However deals and manufacturers want cars, especially ones with low mileage. I am hearing that they will not extend your lease unless you order a new car from them, which obviously I am not because I want my R1S.

On Friday I asked customer service if we are going to start to see better ETAs like Q2-22 or Q1-23. Because in reality if my R1S won't be here until 2023, while I will keep that on order I may replace my existing vehicle in the meantime. CS told me they are working on a better way to provide insight into delivery dates without providing a firm commitment. I appreciate everything that is happening, not just the supply chain challenges but the process of making a new vehicle for a new company. However with 55k pre-orders it would be great to know if I am number 55,000 or number 10,000.
Sponsored

Last edited:

thrill

First Name
billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
i3s, (r1t)
... I am hearing that they will not extend your lease unless you order a new car from them, which obviously I am not because I want my R1S. ...
We ended up buying out our lease on our i3s, for a premium, because BMW would not extend our lease another year, used cars are really expensive right now. BMWs on my bad list now, for that and their horrid foray into EVs.

Anywy, I thin we'll be able to sell the i3s once it is no longer needed with minimal loss.

dfx

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 LandCruiser, 2015 Model S 70D
I have an fun exercise in front of. With a R1S on order I was hoping to just extend my current lease, which ends in April, until the Rivian arrives. However deals and manufacturers want cars, especially ones with low mileage. I am hearing that they will not extend your lease unless you order a new car from them, which obviously I am not because I want my R1S.

On Friday I asked customer service if we are going to start to see better ETAs like Q2-22 or Q1-23. Because in reality if my R1S won't be here until 2023, while I will keep that on order I may replace my existing vehicle in the meantime. CS told me they are working on a better way to provide insight into delivery dates without providing a firm commitment. I appreciate everything that is happening, not just the supply chain challenges but the process of making a new vehicle for a new company. However with 55k pre-orders it would be great to know if I am number 55,000 or number 10,000.
When did you order the R1S and is it a LE? It seems that the LE vehicles will be taken care of first. Today CS told me that I would be contacted by a guide before month-end. I have on order a LE R1S and using the graph on this forum site, I estimated the reservation number to be somewhere around 18,000 because the deposit/order was made in Oct 2019.

stumptown85

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Outback, XC60, Dakota
Occupation
Engineer
What people seem to forget is that we donā€™t know the number of LE pre-orders and people that ordered quite late(late 2020 myself) were able to reserve an LE. I am definitely a high number, but if they only sold a few thousand LEs, the order number for an LE holder is somewhat irrelevant.

When did you order the R1S and is it a LE? It seems that the LE vehicles will be taken care of first. Today CS told me that I would be contacted by a guide before month-end. I have on order a LE R1S and using the graph on this forum site, I estimated the reservation number to be somewhere around 18,000 because the deposit/order was made in Oct 2019.

AxelR

First Name
Axel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Tesla Model 3 Performance, 23 Rivian R1S
Clubs

Spoke, face to face, 2 weekends in a row now, with Rivian employees at Sonoma First Mile event. They all said the same thing: configuration, area I live in and (of lesser importance) when I ordered.
One also mentioned that getting/switching to the max pack would push things back by potentially a year as theyā€™re not building them at the moment.
It does sound like theyā€™re really trying to build those trucks.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Sgt Beavis

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
Overpaid Computer Nerd
Clubs

Fortunately, I can wait. Iā€™ve got my Jeep for off roading and a Mini Countryman for day to day driving. Iā€™m planning to replace the Mini but I can hold on to it as long as I need.

But I really donā€™t want to wait.

fastwheels

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE, C8 Z06, GT-350
Spoke, face to face, 2 weekends in a row now, with Rivian employees at Sonoma First Mile event. They all said the same thing: configuration, area I live in and (of lesser importance) when I ordered.
One also mentioned that getting it switching to the max pack would push things back by potentially a year as theyā€™re not building them at the moment.
It does sound like theyā€™re really trying to build those trucks.
So according to that, the only thing I have going for me to get Spring delivery is that I have an LE R1T : no idea how configuration(s) determine build priority, I live 430 mi NE of Normal - far from any early Service Center, and my 2/13/19 pre-order date may be of limited consequence.

Hopefully I will finally hear from a Guide this month to get at least a smidgeon of information. Would also be wonderful to get an invite to finally see the R1T in person...

RivianXpress

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Sprinter, TE300i, R1250GSA, KTM 500, 790
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Probably discussed already but I think the key here is how many total trucks deposits were put down when the LE orders closed a year ago.

At the end of Sept 2021 there were 48K total deposits and they added another 7K in Nov 2021 according to the S1ā€™s.

If you assume thereā€™s a non linear increase from the LA auto show first deposits to Nov 2021(as the truck got more interest) you have 24 months of increasing deposits from LA auto show til the close of LE orders in Nov 2020.

I would guess they were no more than 20K deposits total when by the time the LE orders closed. Iā€™m also think that the Max pack batteries and non LEā€™s are the majority of these 20K vehicles.

That would mean (to me) that there are no more than 5-7K LEā€™s of both R1T and R1Sā€™s.

If you then factor in the four geographic areas where first deliveries are headed youā€™re probably talking about less than 4K LE trucks that are destined for these areas.

Seems to me that Rivian should be able to get all these LEā€™s to customers by June 2022 at the latest.

Thought?

AxelR

First Name
Axel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Tesla Model 3 Performance, 23 Rivian R1S
Clubs

So according to that, the only thing I have going for me to get Spring delivery is that I have an LE R1T : no idea how configuration(s) determine build priority, I live 430 mi NE of Normal - far from any early Service Center, and my 2/13/19 pre-order date may be of limited consequence.

Hopefully I will finally hear from a Guide this month to get at least a smidgeon of information. Would also be wonderful to get an invite to finally see the R1T in person...
Besides potential distance to a service center, it looks like youā€™ve got everything going for you. LE, early reservation. Iā€™d be optimistic if I were you.

dfx

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 LandCruiser, 2015 Model S 70D
Probably discussed already but I think the key here is how many total trucks deposits were put down when the LE orders closed a year ago.

At the end of Sept 2021 there were 48K total deposits and they added another 7K in Nov 2021 according to the S1ā€™s.

If you assume thereā€™s a non linear increase from the LA auto show first deposits to Nov 2021(as the truck got more interest) you have 24 months of increasing deposits from LA auto show til the close of LE orders in Nov 2020.

I would guess they were no more than 20K deposits total when by the time the LE orders closed. Iā€™m also think that the Max pack batteries and non LEā€™s are the majority of these 20K vehicles.

That would mean (to me) that there are no more than 5-7K LEā€™s of both R1T and R1Sā€™s.

If you then factor in the four geographic areas where first deliveries are headed youā€™re probably talking about less than 4K LE trucks that are destined for these areas.

Seems to me that Rivian should be able to get all these LEā€™s to customers by June 2022 at the latest.

Thought?
I'd put the number of deposits at 30k when LE orders closed. Off that reservation number graph on this site I figured my reservation number to be somewhere between 15k and 18k given my Nov 2019 deposit date. I'm pretty sure that they received at least another 10k plus from Nov 2019 to Nov 2020. Nonetheless, I think that 15k for the LE total , which would be close to your high side, seems about right. It also seems that they should be able to get those delivered by Jul 1st.
Definitely agree with your assessment of Max Pack being the majority of R1T preorders but the other configurations should be pretty small.

Sponsored

NorskBoy

First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ram 2500 diesel, sold the BMW
Occupation
Contractor
I think your order number is in the website address on the configuration page. If thatā€™s right Iā€™m 11385 which makes sense based on my order date.

riviak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cars
I think your order number is in the website address on the configuration page. If thatā€™s right Iā€™m 11385 which makes sense based on my order date.
Thatā€™s a good observation and seems to check out as config page url has a # of 106** for me with a 4/19 RIS LE preorder.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Just plan on buying out your lease and trading it in. Anyone on a 3 year has more value than their residual right now unless you got screwed with your lease.

BradSomrak

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ā€˜16 Jeep.
Occupation
Atty.
If so, my order number is 244314091, and man did the preorders really increase in number.

Craigins

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Software engineer
Clubs

Let's not drag order number into another thread. Just search the forums, there's a mega thread on it.
Sponsored