Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Fire Marshal
Clubs

I’m guessing QM is going to be < 10% of sales going forward. There just aren’t many people willing to pay for that kind of performance. It’s going to be a low volume halo product. I like going fast, but the base dual motor is still plenty fast. They really need a cheaper RWD variant. That would sell well.
I would love a RWD option. The FWD eco mode is fair at best.
Sponsored

OP
OP
moosetags

moosetags

First Name
SuEllyn & Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T; 2020 Chevy Duramax; 1956 Ford Tbird
Occupation
Retired
Clubs

Says the guy with 56 T-bird as his avatar. If you still like it, why would you start caring now? Personally, I have a 63 Sprint that I should use as my avatar.
I don't really care. I owned a DeLorean for 31 years. You should use the'63 Sprint as your Avatar. We all know what a Rivian looks like.

Brian

R1Tom

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Riv R1T
Occupation
Sales
Yep. Totally agree. Just noting a feature that does exist that some people appreciate. It's just a small number.
I agree too. Most will be fine with DM. I am in R.I.P. 1%(although I bet it os greater than 1%)who want true torque vectoring, max on road performance, not worried about the range loss of QM,

I actually think the QM is simpler with a tried and true Bosch motor and no automatic clutching mechanism. Also I suspect far less brake engagement during aggressive driving than the DM likely uses to prevent open differential lowest tire spinning behavior of DM.

OP
OP
moosetags

moosetags

First Name
SuEllyn & Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T; 2020 Chevy Duramax; 1956 Ford Tbird
Occupation
Retired
Clubs

I agree too. Most will be fine with DM. I am in R.I.P. 1%(although I bet it os greater than 1%)who want true torque vectoring, max on road performance, not worried about the range loss of QM,

I actually think the QM is simpler with a tried and true Bosch motor and no automatic clutching mechanism. Also I suspect far less brake engagement during aggressive driving than the DM likely uses to prevent open differential lowest tire spinning behavior of DM.
What you say makes me feel good about having the four motor version. Thanks.

Brian

usulio

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Clubs

Love my quad and like knowing that I have four wheel drive and four wheel regen braking at all times unless I enable conserve. But if I was buying now at post-hike pricing, the dual would be a no-brainer. Hoping resale is good in 10 years but not counting on it.

Sponsored

Tomgriff

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 MS 70D, 2017 Chevy Bolt Premier, T700
Agreed, torque vectoring on corners is pretty cool. I'm pretty sure that not many people take corners fast enough to feel it and in reality there aren't that many places where I live that I can drive that fast in corners (safely). But when I can, torque vectoring with suspension that stays essentially flat in hard cornering is a lot of fun...glad I've got the quad motors.

supernu8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Engineer
Quad will stay around. They will phase out the Bosch with an in house design that has more HP and costs less per unit. Probably keep the MSRP same or higher due to HP increase.

I don't really see a place in the r1 line for a tri-motor unless quad price goes up significantly. Too many other variables at play to introduce additional complexity in r1 manufacturing line.

Singletracker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T w/AT 20”
I love my QM R1T on a good mountain road. Slam it into Sport mode and it rips! As I recall, way back when, I heard or read that Rivian had considered a 1000hp R1. They decided to tone it down for safety reasons - too easy to wheelie 🤪 Not sure if that is true, but I suspect they could add significant performance to the existing setup via software updates, if they chose. With the Performance option, they do this with the DM, right now. I have to wonder what the power limit is with the QM. Having said that, who really needs more power than what the QM currently has? When I got mine, I thought I would be punching it all over the place. That lasted about a week. In my real world driving, I very rarely floor it. I just cruise around like a wuss 😊

babalegba

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 R1T
Occupation
Software Engineer
Agree with most comments. Love my QM R1T with the Bosch motors, 12v outlets, Meridian system. I hear the arguments for the DM, but I don't push the truck well enough (beyond the super light forest road trails I hit once in a while).

If I had it yellow, I'd probably just park it in the garage and get another daily. Because someday it will be extremely sought after.

Not sure how a RWD R1 would be though. Wouldn't that just chew through tires even worse? And would be terrible in even the lightest rain or snow? Definitely wouldn't be for me. I had a Model S85 (RWD) and didn't fancy the driving experience much when it wasn't summer (perfect weather conditions).

runwithscissors

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
XC90, MDX, R1S
Love my quad and like knowing that I have four wheel drive and four wheel regen braking at all times unless I enable conserve. But if I was buying now at post-hike pricing, the dual would be a no-brainer. Hoping resale is good in 10 years but not counting on it.
Same, I doubt resale will be good since we bought the equivalent of the first iphone which will be quickly outdated in just a few years at most. Camera quality is already super outdated for a $100k vehicle. I wish they had a R1S lease 9 months ago because it would've been a no brainer for me.

Sponsored

bentsauce

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Diesel Tahoe
Occupation
Finance
Strangely, I can only see QM, Large battery vehicles in the shop right now. All the DM/PDM and other battery options have disappeared. There for 195+ vehicles in the shop yesterday…now 125 total

Rivianready

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, Jeep Gr Cherokee SRT, Suburban LTZ
Occupation
Business owner
Clubs

Like everyone else here, I don’t know what they’ll do. That being said, an argument for having the ultimate (only) four motor EV pickup and SUV that are very expensive and exclusive, makes all the other models look higher end. I think that there is room for a “Plaid R1”. And the gen 1 R1 with quad motors will be very valuable.

R1Tom

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Riv R1T
Occupation
Sales
Same, I doubt resale will be good since we bought the equivalent of the first iphone which will be quickly outdated in just a few years at most. Camera quality is already super outdated for a $100k vehicle. I wish they had a R1S lease 9 months ago because it would've been a no brainer for me.
However....I do think there is a distinct possibility these earlier trucks are overbuilt and with time....value engineering will reduce some of the longterm robustness in newer models.

Munro commented on this in some of their videos.

So I am crossing my fingers the QM (and hopefully DM too) R1 platform vehicles will prove to be very long living robust machines.

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian
With all the hype of the R2, R3, and R3X, the R1 seems to have faded into the background. I have also been noticing that the R1 dual motor seems to be the more desirable version of the R1. I am now beginning to wonder if quad motor Rivians will soon pass into history.

Brian
Brian given some of the replies— and your point about the R2 being released — maybe a good time to get a quad on the used market? Still an awesome car. Thoughts?
Sponsored