Sponsored

Q for owners: does 12V outlet stay on at all times?

R1Sky Business

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Clubs

Do the 12v outlets remain on at all times so as to keep fridge connected. I know the 120 plugs turn on/off from screen. Thanks in advance
Sponsored

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla XLR+2019, Lexus, Landcruiser, R1T
Occupation
EE Retired
Yes, I'm sure they do as they just connect to the 12V batteries through a fuse. The 120V system, OTOH, requires active electronics which require overhead draw even when the load is 0 and would thus drain the batteries even if nothing is plugged in.

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Hyundai Ioniq 5 Limited
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

Yes. Tested both front truck and gear tunnel. I was wrong, not always on.

Also another nugget. I discovered you can lock the doors with the front trunk open and you can’t shut the front trunk door with the button with the doors locked.

Last edited:
OP
OP
R1Sky Business

R1Sky Business

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Clubs

Yes, I'm sure they do as they just connect to the 12V batteries through a fuse. The 120V system, OTOH, requires active electronics which require overhead draw even when the load is 0 and would thus drain the batteries even if nothing is plugged in.
Would this then drain the 12V batteries, and the main battery pack keeps the 12V juiced up at all times???

Sponsored

OverZealous

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T LE, 2023 R1S Quad-Adventure
Occupation
Product Manager / Front-End Developer
The 120V outlets only switch off because they require an active inverter, which wastes power if you aren't using it.

The 12V plugs simply wire directly into the 12V power system.

I don't think we have enough information yet to determine if the Rivian is smart enough to keep the 12V batteries (there's 2) topped off when not in use. Both Tesla and Hyundai/Kia have issues with this (or have had, might not be a current issue). I hope they have the system smart enough to automatically top off the 12V occasionally (even once every 24 hours would be enough).

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

The 120V outlets only switch off because they require an active inverter, which wastes power if you aren't using it.

The 12V plugs simply wire directly into the 12V power system.

I don't think we have enough information yet to determine if the Rivian is smart enough to keep the 12V batteries (there's 2) topped off when not in use. Both Tesla and Hyundai/Kia have issues with this (or have had, might not be a current issue). I hope they have the system smart enough to automatically top off the 12V occasionally (even once every 24 hours would be enough).
I'm not actively monitoring the 12V battery level, but I've had my fridge plugged into the 120V outlet in the bed and on since I got it a few days ago. No issues so far, and it has stayed on when the truck is off.

I'd guess that Rivian actually has two separate 12V batteries because one is meant to buffer accessories and the other is closer to a starter battery.
I was wrong here. Apparently they are doing something even wonkier and have the truck split power side-to-side, and have two APUs. Probably something to do with planning the 800V charging split and still maintaining 400V system compatibility.

Last edited:
OP
OP
R1Sky Business

R1Sky Business

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Clubs

I'm not actively monitoring the 12V battery level, but I've had my fridge plugged into the 120V outlet in the bed and on since I got it a few days ago. No issues so far, and it has stayed on when the truck is off.

I'd guess that Rivian actually has two separate 12V batteries because one is meant to buffer accessories and the other is closer to a starter battery.
Is there a benefit in plugging in to 120 vs 12V?

Sponsored

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla XLR+2019, Lexus, Landcruiser, R1T
Occupation
EE Retired
Is there a benefit in plugging in to 120 vs 12V?
That would depend on the fridge. I have an ARB with a 12V compressor. When used on 120V the line is converted (rectified) to 12 VDC in the fridge first. There is a conversion loss so the fridge is less efficient. Then in the vehicle 12 V would have to be converted to 120V only to have that reconverted to 12 in the fridge. Two conversion losses are sustained in this case. The vehicle batteries ultimately supply these so the vehicle batteries would discharge faster.

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5

astonius

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cars
There is no option to plug in to 12v in the bed.
On that note, it should be relatively easy to tap into the 12v system from the bed right? The lights and gate release run on 12v.

Really wish they'd given us one of each port in the bed instead of two 120v.

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
On that note, it should be relatively easy to tap into the 12v system from the bed right? The lights and gate release run on 12v.

Really wish they'd given us one of each port in the bed instead of two 120v.
You’d think so.

there must be some sort of annoying engineering/design compromise behind not having 12v in the bed. I agree, one 12v and one 110v would be way more useful. It’s that way in the gear tunnel. Why not in the bed?

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

You’d think so.

there must be some sort of annoying engineering/design compromise behind not having 12v in the bed. I agree, one 12v and one 110v would be way more useful. It’s that way in the gear tunnel. Why not in the bed?
Length and size of wire most likely. Efficiency could actually be pretty close without them putting a massive 12V wire all the way to the bed. 150A on 12V versus 15A on 120V. I still might look into running 12V to the bed myself though.
Sponsored