Sponsored

Q for owners: does 12V outlet stay on at all times?

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

chrismc

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
r1t
Trick request. The Rivian doesn't have a hard key
Even trickier than it sounds. I get the comment was in jest, but the whole power management cycle doesnā€™t follow keyed semantics. There is no concept of ā€œacc onā€ or ā€œignition onā€. Once you unlock, then the infotainment system is on and it is ready to drive. It doesnā€™t turn off until you exit and lock the vehicle (or let it lock itself). It is very quirky to adjust to.

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
Iā€™ll pay a $20 and a door dashed vegan burger to whoever finds a keyed (if there is such a thing) 12v source. Or to whoever is brave enough to find the meridian amp.
Iā€™d think the only thing close to ignition live 12v would be whatever 12v circuits are enabled when the start button(the brake pedal šŸ˜¬) is pressed.

Meridian amp is likely packaged with the subwoofer in back.

Davethadog

First Name
YaMa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Trucks, bikes, excavators
Meridian amp is likely packaged with the subwoofer in back.
Iā€™m hoping thatā€™s the case but I wouldnā€™t be surprised to see an amp somewhere more inaccessible.

Gshenderson

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Tesla S 85D, 2019 4Runner TRD Offroad, R1T
I'd guess that Rivian actually has two separate 12V batteries because one is meant to buffer accessories and the other is closer to a starter battery.
It actually has 2 6v batteries wired in series to attain 12v. There was a YouTube video (by OutOfSpec I believe) where they pulled off the cover under the frunk and showed them.

Sponsored

astonius

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cars
It actually has 2 6v batteries wired in series to attain 12v. There was a YouTube video (by OutOfSpec I believe) where they pulled off the cover under the frunk and showed them.
I think this actually came from me, and I donā€™t know that itā€™s accurate. I was relaying what I heard from CS, but in hindsight I think they were just agreeing with my speculation rather than confirming. Kyle did remove that panel in his intro video, but he didnā€™t zoom in or confirm the voltage of each individual battery. Could be 2x 6v in series, but it could also be 2x 12v in parallel. Wish someone could definitively confirm. Paging any current owners who are willing to take off the cowl in the frunk to confirm.

jtshaw

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3, LE R1S
Occupation
Engineering VP
I think this actually came from me, and I donā€™t know that itā€™s accurate. I was relaying what I heard from CS, but in hindsight I think they were just agreeing with my speculation rather than confirming. Kyle did remove that panel in his intro video, but he didnā€™t zoom in or confirm the voltage of each individual battery. Could be 2x 6v in series, but it could also be 2x 12v in parallel. Wish someone could definitively confirm. Paging any current owners who are willing to take off the cowl in the frunk to confirm.
Itā€™s definitely 2x 12v batteries. Per the manual.

Rivian R1T R1S Q for owners: does 12V outlet stay on at all times? F0D51685-B132-4B72-802D-A08123AA24D4

astonius

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cars
Itā€™s definitely 2x 12v batteries. Per the manual.

F0D51685-B132-4B72-802D-A08123AA24D4.jpeg
Thanks! Definitely would love to get even more detail if anyone is still up for some cowl removal. Curious to know which specific 12v batteries they are using.

I inadvertently discovered the other day that my X5 actually uses a lithium ion 12v battery. No wonder it's been so solid in contrast to my wife's Velar which has given us nothing but battery problems. Rivian did tell me with certainty they are AGM, which is unfortunate.

ztron

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 E-tron, 2022 R1T
I plugged my dash cam into the 12v outlet underneath the center console and it seems to turn off after I have locked the doors.

Olsonsolar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Volt - R1T on preorder
Occupation
enjoying life
There actually is 12V running the full length of the vehicle (right below the bed) because they have the jump leads accessible by the receiver hitch. It would not have been much cost/effort to put a 12V plug accessible in the bed.
It is really quite surprising that Rivian would not have put a 12 volt plug in the bed. they could have put 1 12v and one 120v in the same place they put the 2 120's. I would think many more people would use a 12volt than needing 2 120's. Not at all a good design in my opinion. Plus according to the manual the 12's they do have are not hot all the time.

Sponsored

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
It is really quite surprising that Rivian would not have put a 12 volt plug in the bed. they could have put 1 12v and one 120v in the same place they put the 2 120's. I would think many more people would use a 12volt than needing 2 120's. Not at all a good design in my opinion. Plus according to the manual the 12's they do have are not hot all the time.
I like the 2x AC outlets, but I agree adding a 12V outlet would have been nice. Seems like there's plenty of room to do it.

NY_Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Model 3 LR AWD, 2017 BMW i3 REX, 2023 R1T
Occupation
IT
Definitely would love to get even more detail if anyone is still up for some cowl removal. Curious to know which specific 12v batteries they are using.
One of the forum members took this photo a week or so back...

Rivian R1T R1S Q for owners: does 12V outlet stay on at all times? 12 Volt Battery

Scherle

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Rocket Scientist
Do the 12v outlets remain on at all times so as to keep fridge connected. I know the 120 plugs turn on/off from screen. Thanks in advance
No, they do not. I have a small 12v coolor plugged into the gear tunnel outlet. It turns off when the vehicle is locked or when it goes to sleep. Rivian support confirmed that there is no way to change this behavior.

Longreach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Miata
Agreed, this is a glaring omission. Even the lowly Ford Maverick has substantial 12v power available in the bed.

DJG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Various
Agreed, this is a glaring omission. Even the lowly Ford Maverick has substantial 12v power available in the bed.
Well if you consider that the 12v only works while the vehicle is on, it makes more sense. The bed plugs are more likely to be used when stationary. The most likely use for 12v in the bed while driving is a fridge, but then you'd have to switch it to the 120v when parked still. The other use for 12v in the bed is a water pump, but that definitely doesn't do you any good because you'll only use that when parked and therefore won't work (unless you turn truck on and waste power).

Not sure why they can't have a toggle for 12v power on/off while parked though.
Sponsored