Sponsored

trickflow

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3 performance, Toyota 4runner
They can't give you control to turn it off while at the same time ensuring without a doubt they are complying with regulations by having it on. Just trying to manage expectations, because the chances of being able to toggle the sound off are hovering right around zero.
They should be able to give you control. Think about when you are off road. Once I leave the pavement, you don't need to comply by all the rules of the road (think using your turn signal). It would be nice to be able to turn off any noise as not to disrupt nature.....
Sponsored

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
They should be able to give you control. Think about when you are off road. Once I leave the pavement, you don't need to comply by all the rules of the road (think using your turn signal). It would be nice to be able to turn off any noise as not to disrupt nature.....
They may enable this based on gps but they can't allow it to be turned off arbitrarily.

DucRider

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, Ioniq, R1S
"Should" often has little bearing on government regulations - and that is the case here:

49 CFR § 571.141 - Standard No. 141; Minimum Sound Requirements for Hybrid and Electric Vehicles.
S8 Prohibition on altering the sound of a vehicle subject to this standard. No entity subject to the authority of the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration may:​
(a) Disable, alter, replace, or modify any element of a vehicle installed as original equipment for purposes of complying with this Standard, except in connection with a repair of a vehicle malfunction or to remedy a defect or non-compliance; or​
(b) Provide any person with any mechanism, equipment, process, or device intended to disable, alter, replace, or modify the sound emitting capability of a vehicle subject to this standard, except in connection with a repair of vehicle malfunction or to remedy a defect or non-compliance.​

timesinks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, ID.4, Sprinter
While the turn signal may be pointless in the middle of the woods with nobody around, it's probably still technically required. Most places we "off-road" are in fact, legally speaking, roads -- regardless of the type or state of repair of their surface.

Cosmacelf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, Tesla Model X
Occupation
Software
They may enable this based on gps but they can't allow it to be turned off arbitrarily.
Should be relatively easy to snip a speaker wire or pull a fuse.

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
Should be relatively easy to snip a speaker wire or pull a fuse.
Sure... but see my post regarding the associated consequences.

Also, something I hadn't previously thought of in that regard, doing so could potentially cause the vehicle to trigger a service fault resulting in Rivian reaching out to fix the problem for you.
Sponsored