Sponsored

Where would be your preferred charging port location?

• Front driver side

Votes: 34 81.0%
  • Front passenger side

Votes: 4 9.5%
  • Front center

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Rear driver side

Votes: 4 9.5%
  • Rear passenger side

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

EyeOnRivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E 4X, Mitsubishi Endeavor. Pre-order: R1S LE
The charging port for the Rivian EAV prototypes is located on front passenger side. Pictures of the R1Ts being tested in Argentina have their charging port located on the front driver side. Let's help Rivian out with this quick poll.
Sponsored

SlaterGS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Nissan Leaf, Chrysler Pacifica Hybrid
Clubs

I only have experience with car charging on my Leaf and our companies Ford Fusion.
I like the front center location on the leaf because there is clear access from any direction that a charging station might be unless I back in.
If it was on the passenger side at my house, I would need a longer cable on my charger to reach and it would cross over stairs. Also no great way to add a charger on the side of the steps where it wouldn't cross over.
Option 1: Back into the garage.
Option 2: make a new workbench and park on the left side of the garage with my R1S and Leaf on the right. Doable but I would lose some workspace.
I guess I can make any position work, but the current places I charge would be tough and crossing over other things if it was on the passenger side.

Hmp10

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Tesla Model S P90D; 2018 Honda Odyssey
I would prefer the driver side; whether front or rear is less important.

I've been driving an EV for four years, and I plug and unplug it every time I enter or leave my garage. It's easier to have the plug on the side where I get in and out. The Rivians are large vehicles. For people with smaller garages who have to park tight on the passenger side in order to ease entry and exit for the driver, having the plug on the passenger side could be a particular issue.

In many mass-built homes, 20' is now the standard garage depth. The R1T is almost 18' long. Having the charge port on the center front or center rear of the vehicle would be very problematic for those home owners.

SlaterGS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Nissan Leaf, Chrysler Pacifica Hybrid
Clubs

In many mass-built homes, 20' is now the standard garage depth. The R1T is almost 18' long. Having the charge port on the center front or center rear of the vehicle would be very problematic for those home owners.
Good point. Even though the front is very easy on my Leaf, it is about 2' shorter than the R1S. My garage depth is ~22' but even then it is probably a good idea to keep that area clear.
Plugging in side vs center in the context of getting in and out doesn't effect me as I go by the front every time I get out or in the car.
Changed my vote!

Hmp10

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Tesla Model S P90D; 2018 Honda Odyssey
I built my home a couple of years ago with EV's in mind. I have a 1,940-square-foot garage that is 26' deep and includes two high-amp outlets to accommodate front or rear charging of two EV's.

However, Florida is the land of condos and densely-built gated communities where development corporations build the vast majority of residences to cookie-cutter plans. As lots are getting smaller and smaller in the new communities, the standard two-garage size has shrunken to 20' x 20'. On top of that, no one has basements, and attics are too hot for most storage, so garages become storage bins. Sometimes I see garage doors standing open and wonder how people get in and out of their cars. In fact, many homeowner associations have given up on trying to enforce rules against leaving cars parked outside, as the combination of SUV popularity and tiny garages makes enforcement too contentious.

Sponsored

aAlpine

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ioniq 5, 4Runner
Can I vote twice? :)

Both driver and passenger sides are useful, what if street side charging stations become more of a thing? Like this:

Font or rear, I don't care. Current design looks nice and hidden to me :like:

OP
OP
EyeOnRivian

EyeOnRivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E 4X, Mitsubishi Endeavor. Pre-order: R1S LE
Can I vote twice? :)

Both driver and passenger sides are useful, what if street side charging stations become more of a thing? Like this:

Font or rear, I don't care. Current design looks nice and hidden to me :like:
Interesting idea with the roadside pop-up charger. Might be an issue in northern climates with ice and snow unless there is a built in heater that turns on when temps get cold enough. Looks like the charger requires EV owner to bring their own charging cable. I'm guessing not an issue for most EVs?

Unfortunately you can only vote once since the polling feature has no option to allow voting more than once. I was trying to keep the poll choices simple but dual charging ports is certainly better than one. In addition to another location, it has other benefits as someone just posted in another thread. If the charging port has a technical problem or is damaged in some way (e.g. fender bender, etc), there's always the other port to use. Not sure how cost effective this redundancy would be though. Are there EVs out there today that provide more than one charging port?

EV-X Oregon

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3, Volvo XC 60, BWM X5, Honda Odessey
Occupation
Principal Real Estate Broker
I agree, (2) charger ports, (1) on each side of the car, (left) and (right).
Location at the front of car vs. rear for me.
A front and center location might get in the way of frunk access....

aAlpine

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ioniq 5, 4Runner
The Porsche Taycan has charging ports on both sides of the car.
Yeah, this is what I was thinking of. Though interesting, the capabilities where different on one side versus the other. The driver's side is only AC J1772, and the passenger is AC or DCFC (CCS) - https://newsroom.porsche.com/en/products/taycan/charging-18558.html

This configuration makes the most sense to me and I'd love to see Rivian do the same. Can't imagine this costs THAT much more to put in another port and some wiring. Hopefully in terms of price the Taycan isn't a good comparison to the Rivian however.

Sponsored

davrow_R1T

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2 Toyota Siennas
Definitely front driver side, from experience. I step out of my car and without taking a single step reach for the charger (EVSE) on the wall and plug it in the car. Then walk away.

First RV was on the nose, always had to back in. Got used to it, but I really prefer to drive nose first into my garage. I have a 2x4 frame on the floor to stop the front wheels, so I'm always 2 inches from a cabinet.

Reactions: Rad

Estolworthy

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Infiniti and Kia
Occupation
LEO
I just posted this on the options wish list thread.

"It seems like if the charger port was on both sides it would make it easier to charge Rivian to Rivian."

jimcgov3

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Jacksonville, Florida // Satellite Beach, FL
Vehicles
2017 Tesla Model S 75, Rivian R1T Owner
Clubs

I just posted this on the options wish list thread.

"It seems like if the charger port was on both sides it would make it easier to charge Rivian to Rivian."
While this would be sweet, I can't imagine them doing this. On a normal ICE vehicle there isn't a battery on each side of the engine bay. You will just have to position your vehicle in an adjacent spot nosed in in order to charge another Rivian.

timf

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Clubs

While I think the front driver's side is the best option, I'd currently prefer it to be in the same spot as Tesla's since that's where my charging station is wired.

rconkling

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Durango, LEAF
Why not one front and rear.

I've run into several headaches trying to charge my leaf where I was unable to plug in.

I find it easier to get in and out of parking spaces by backing in when driving my Durango.
Sponsored