Sponsored

Preconditioning confusion

emoore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
My point is the same it's been this entire time, they said they added something and I don't think they did. I don't think the battery preconditiong is any different than it ever was while charging overnight. That's all, no more no less.
Yes it is different. Multiple people have reported that. Just because you haven’t experienced it yet doesn’t mean it doesn’t exist.

Throwdown

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1t launch edition#2650
Occupation
Technician
Yes it is different. Multiple people have reported that. Just because you haven’t experienced it yet doesn’t mean it doesn’t exist.
And multiple people have reported ehat i have, its not that hard to believe that the update worked for some and not others. I'll send pics tomorrow am

cwintermeyer

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S Adventure Quad, 2023 Wrangler 392 XR
Occupation
Software exec
No, you are. Im not confused at all. Im wondering solely why there seems to be a difference in these battery preconditiong temps. I oberved that my battery is no dofferent in temp now that it ever was before this option was made available. All my statements are about the new update with the departure battery and interior preconditioning. You are out in left field.

Just saying
Username checks out.

Sponsored

Riviot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

Throwdown

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1t launch edition#2650
Occupation
Technician
As a former left fielder, I resent these remarks. Not all of us have the ground work it takes to play infield, okay?! Just let us be proud of the pop flies we do catch.
Don't blame me, I was the one that was told I was out in left field for talking about the new departure precondtioning when someone brought up DCFC preconditioning to try and make themselves feel special.

Throwdown

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1t launch edition#2650
Occupation
Technician
Rivian R1T R1S Preconditioning confusion 20240115_053258

This is a pic in my garage as im about to leave for work, departure battery and cabin precondtioning set yet my battery is only 50F, which means as I drive since it's so cold outside the battery temp is going to drop and have to use energy to re-heat itself defeating the purpose of their new update. So once again I'm showing that, in rivians words (battery precondtioning for colder climates, straight out of the update text)as per their latest update the system needs work. The haters of these responses can be as mad as they want or think they know more than they do, but 50F is not warm enough, and no different than at any point prior to this latest update. If they want to give an option to help cold weather efficiency then the battery temp should be selectable like the interior temp is

Redline

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Clubs

20240115_053258.jpg

This is a pic in my garage as im about to leave for work, departure battery and cabin precondtioning set yet my battery is only 50F, which means as I drive since it's so cold outside the battery temp is going to drop and have to use energy to re-heat itself defeating the purpose of their new update. So once again I'm showing that, in rivians words (battery precondtioning for colder climates, straight out of the update text)as per their latest update the system needs work. The haters of these responses can be as mad as they want or think they know more than they do, but 50F is not warm enough, and no different than at any point prior to this latest update. If they want to give an option to help cold weather efficiency then the battery temp should be selectable like the interior temp is
You’re changing your story once again.

Throwdown

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1t launch edition#2650
Occupation
Technician
You’re changing your story once again.
Nope, I don't consider in the fifties battery Preconditioning to combat cold weather efficiency.. As I've stated multiple times after this past update. My battery is no warmer using the preconditioning function for departure than it has ever been. So like I originally said I call b s on It. I could be totally wrong But until they give defined temperatures for battery preconditioning I just don't know I just personally don't consider that to be warm enough.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Steve A.

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Audi Q7, Ford Expedition, Porsche Cayenne
Occupation
self-employed code-slinger
Clubs

Correct. Preheating the vehicle also triggers battery conditioning; if the vehicle deems it necessary.

In my observations, it does not trigger battery heating if the battery is over 50° Fahrenheit. This may be where the confusion is coming in, as the vehicle is not going to waste energy heating the battery if it is at least above that base level.
Actually, before the update during cold weather I ALWAYS manually turned on my seat heater and steering wheel heater about 15 mins before I left for work while plugged in, even when the climate control reported 50F-60F and it ALWAYS has heated the battery up to 70F-80F.

Same now for using the schedule to pre-heat it in the am and now in the pm before I leave work where as previously when the outside temp was < 40F at work, the battery pack never got > 62F even when I turned up the climate control to 76F on my hour ride home.

Last edited:

Bar_Down

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Suburban
Occupation
Finance
Clubs

Using the schedule doesn't precondition my battery, just the cabin. The battery was still relatively warm from charging overnigh but I call bs on the heating.
I concur.... this is was my experience on my road trip this weekend. I do like the update, however, for this and other changes. I drove to NYC and the maneuvering and stopping/starting in Manhattan traffic was terrific.

Steve A.

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Audi Q7, Ford Expedition, Porsche Cayenne
Occupation
self-employed code-slinger
Clubs

Because they are preparing for DCFC.

Are you seriously this confused, or are you just trying to pick an argument?

Tesla, GM, Ford, Kia, Hyundai and Rivian all use similar algorithms when it comes to battery temperatures. The assumptions you have presented here are frankly way out in left field and I am not sure what your purpose is in continuing this argument.

Just saying.
Not true for my R1S at least. When I manually pre-heated 15 mins before work while plugged in, it would be in the low-50Fs and preheat to high 70Fs.

zefram47

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, C6 Corvette GS
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

Call BS all you like, but it does work. Even before 2023.50 came out on 2023.46 I went out to the truck while it was preconditioning and the motors were all in the 200F realm and the battery had been warmed from its cold-soaked state up into the mid-40F realm. The schedule does the exact same thing, you just don't have to turn it on manually.
100% confirmed...had a schedule setup for 7am. It's been below 0F for several days now and my garage is uninsulated. Battery would've been probably in the 20-25F realm and I didn't drive for a few days, so it was cold-soaked. When I got in this morning with the scheduled preconditioning the battery was at 51F and no snowflake on the dash. Exactly what Rivian said to expect.

Before this feature existed my battery wouldn't be anywhere near 50F on departure, even if I manually set my charging schedule to try and complete a charge right before I left. Reason...I only do about 30 miles per day and only charge at 24A. There literally no way charging alone would warm my battery enough.

av8or

First Name
Randall
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Jeep Wrangler, 2023 Rivian R1T
Occupation
FedEx Retired
Clubs

@Throwdown have you opened a ticket with Rivian? I don’t know if it should or shouldn’t warm the battery if it’s already 50 degrees, but if you feel there’s something wrong with your vehicle maybe it would be the thing to do. I’m pretty sure beating this dead horse isn’t going to fix it.
Sponsored