Sponsored

Possibly Pulling Trigger On Used R1T. What Would You Do?

Jif1025

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW 530e
Occupation
Attorney
If it were me, I would pass on the used R1T. If you were to configure a new R1T at the Post-March 1 pricing, you just might have a truck sooner than those of us waiting for years since Rivian is prioritizing those builds since they are more cost effective for them.

You are likely at the height of value for your Tesla, so if you don't need a car, and you are set on a Rivian - I would sell the Tesla, sit on the cash (or maybe invest it so it is doing something for you) until your configured R1T comes in. That R1T will be less expensive than the used one, and likely have improvements to stuff that isn't working perfectly right now for some (looking at you tonneau cover).

Do you and your wife make less than 300K per year? You will also qualify for a $7,500 credit by purchasing new through Rivian if the answer is yes.
Are they prioritizing sales as you describe? I havenā€™t seen any post price hike deliveries since they began the R1 shop. Just curious if you are seeing post price hike deliveries Iā€™m not-
Sponsored

OP
OP
JaeTheDev

JaeTheDev

First Name
Jae
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Tesla Model S LR Refresh
Occupation
Web Developer & Digital Marketer
Are they prioritizing sales as you describe? I havenā€™t seen any post price hike deliveries since they began the R1 shop. Just curious if you are seeing post price hike deliveries Iā€™m not-
I searched a bit and found nothing here showing that, but perhaps I suck at searching here. šŸ˜‚

OP
OP
JaeTheDev

JaeTheDev

First Name
Jae
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Checked with my insurance. Itā€™s a massive yearly saving for the R1T over the Model S as well.

Jif1025

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW 530e
Occupation
Attorney
Checked with my insurance. Itā€™s a massive yearly saving for the R1T over the Model S as well.

For my .02, if it makes you happy, do it. I figure Iā€™ve got a year of waiting to get through (4/22 pre order), but if I could find a used one that was the color I wanted and was in the price range you are describing, Iā€™d pull the trigger. But I fully recognize thatā€™s not the smart financial decision- itā€™s just the decision that would make me happiest. Life is too short.

wallyman424

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T and 2023 R1S
I just traded my 2022 model s plaid for a 2nd hand r1t. Got a great price for the plaid and what I consider reasonable for the r1t. 250 miles on the clock, forest green and 8xxx vin.

I'm 300 miles in and completely satisfied. The build quality and suspension are miles better than the Tesla. Plus I like having a pickup. Just waiting for my number to get called for an r1s for the wife so I can get rid of her model y.

Sponsored

jakef801

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'16 Tundra/'18 Audi S6/'19 Rubicon/'22 R1T
Buy it...now.

SASSquatch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW i3s Ford C-Max Hybrid
Occupation
Semi-Autonomous Yeti
Clubs

Well, in the R1 shop thread here:

https://www.rivianforums.com/forum/...very-time-yet-40-days.5702/page-8#post-154668

There are folks saying that they got an invite to the shop with a post-March 1 reservation.

There are other places where people are talking about shortest time from order to R1 shop invite. These may be exceptions and not the norm.

@JaeTheDev you need to talk to @OutofSpecKyle since he has the magic solution to getting access to the R1 Shop post-March 1 but with pre-March 1 pricing and all of that happened *not* because of his youtuber status...

OP
OP
JaeTheDev

JaeTheDev

First Name
Jae
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Well, in the R1 shop thread here:

https://www.rivianforums.com/forum/...very-time-yet-40-days.5702/page-8#post-154668

There are folks saying that they got an invite to the shop with a post-March 1 reservation.

There are other places where people are talking about shortest time from order to R1 shop invite. These may be exceptions and not the norm.

@JaeTheDev you need to talk to @OutofSpecKyle since he has the magic solution to getting access to the R1 Shop post-March 1 but with pre-March 1 pricing and all of that happened *not* because of his youtuber status...
I saw his video delivering. He said he just told his guide or an employee, canā€™t remember which it was, to get him anything. He then filmed picking it up from the Normal factory. Something tells me being a YTer didnā€™t hurt.

That being said, Iā€™m a YTer too, YAY, with far less subs. Haha! I do like creating content solely with an IPhone though, which is my shtick! Humble plug, Im the same name on all social as here. Shoot a sub and take a look at some Tesla content if youā€™d like. Haha.

Jif1025

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW 530e
Occupation
Attorney
I agree it was happening before the shop opened, but I havenā€™t seen a single case of someone getting post 3/22 pricing in the R1 shop, and since June, havenā€™t seen a single post 3/22 preorder report winning the rivian lottery. It was certainly happening, but I wouldnā€™t say it post 3/1 pre orders are being prioritized now (as a 4/22 pre order, I wish they were šŸ¤£)

SASSquatch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Semi-Autonomous Yeti
Clubs

I saw his video delivering. He said he just told his guide or an employee, canā€™t remember which it was, to get him anything. He then filmed picking it up from the Normal factory. Something tells me being a YTer didnā€™t hurt.

That being said, Iā€™m a YTer too, YAY, with far less subs. Haha! I do like creating content solely with an IPhone though, which is my shtick! Humble plug, Im the same name on all social as here. Shoot a sub and take a look at some Tesla content if youā€™d like. Haha.
If you are a YTer then you are set. Just call them up and tell them cut-the-line Kyle sent you and you'll take any truck so you can make videos and šŸ¤¬ all those suckers who reserved years ago and are patiently waiting their turn! :D

Sponsored

SASSquatch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Semi-Autonomous Yeti
Clubs

See @MrFlee for his post march 1 R1 invite story

Adding another data point:

I ordered on March 27th. Got an email last week asking me to confirm my configuration. R1T Adventure, FG, black interior.

I however was NOT expecting it to be this fast. When I spoke to CS last month, they were forecasting a 2023 delivery, which is exactly what I wanted. I put the pre-order in based on the production ramp we've seen to date and 2023 is when I want my truck. For reference, I live in a place where I can walk to work and take public transit most places. I ordered the truck in anticipation of PCSing to my next assignment.

I have a call set up for tomorrow with my guide to see what can be done. I think I'm in the vast minority who DON'T want their truck right now. I understand that they're moving everything around and producing as many orders with common characteristics as they can, but I'm just not ready. I also don't want to "lose" my pre-order price, even thought its post March 1.

Sorry for everyone who ordered a long time ago and are having to deal with watching people like me get their orders processed before them. I like the product, but these growing pains for Rivian are getting old.

Jif1025

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW 530e
Occupation
Attorney
See @MrFlee for his post march 1 R1 invite story

I Read his post, and he specifically states he doesnā€™t want to lose his pre 3/22 pricing (even tho he ordered post.). Again, I acknowledge that it was happening as the R1 shop came on line- and certainly prior- but I think itā€™s a stretch to claim Rivian is currently prioritizing delivering post 3/22 pre orders. Nothing supports that.

Yellow Buddy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, F-150 Lightning Pro, Model S, Model X
Occupation
Smart Ass
You could just as easily be upside down on the R1T in a year as the Model S. Used car prices are still insane and could collapse anytime. R1Ts with 15k miles could be selling for $70k in a year.
Not the most authoritative source. But KBB has the book value of my R1T at $74k, a little under MSRP

Great feedback, but playing devils advocate, I believe my daily would get more use out of a truck for dump runs, wood for floors weā€™re doing, etc randomness truck stuff than a large three row SUV. Reason being, our kids are 18 and 12, and we never do the group voyage thing these days. Looks wise, Iā€™m R1S for sure.
My 2016 Model S has no issues picking up tiles, moulding, pvc pipes, or wood boards. It actually does it better than my Model X because of the length.

If you want it, get it. But it certainly doesnā€™t sound like you NEED it.

OP
OP
JaeTheDev

JaeTheDev

First Name
Jae
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Not the most authoritative source. But KBB has the book value of my R1T at $74k, a little under MSRP

My 2016 Model S has no issues picking up tiles, moulding, pvc pipes, or wood boards. It actually does it better than my Model X because of the length.

If you want it, get it. But it certainly doesnā€™t sound like you NEED it.
I asked a dealer friend what heā€™d give me on a trade for the R1T. He said 99-101k

Never said I needed it. Purely a want. TBH, no one NEEDS a Rivian. šŸ¤·ā€ā™‚ļø

OP
OP
JaeTheDev

JaeTheDev

First Name
Jae
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
If you are a YTer then you are set. Just call them up and tell them cut-the-line Kyle sent you and you'll take any truck so you can make videos and šŸ¤¬ all those suckers who reserved years ago and are patiently waiting their turn! :D
I like your thought pattern, yolo!
Sponsored