Sponsored

Possible Accessory Costs - How much will my R1T really be?

jimcgov3

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Jacksonville, Florida // Satellite Beach, FL
Vehicles
2017 Tesla Model S 75, Rivian R1T Owner
Clubs

Not sure it means Yakima couldn't make them for Rivian but Rivian definitely designed their crossbars in-house.
Correct. Zab, from Rivian, stated as such in the TechCrunch interview back in 2019. She said that she had a direct hand in their development.
Sponsored

thrill

First Name
billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
i3s, (r1t)
Sure, but what is the percentage of owners that will actually adventure? I am not talking about going to State Parks or trips to a KOA, but Overlanding or off-roading on OHV, BLM, or Forest Service land?
What percentage of Porsche owners ever hit the Nurburgring? The vehicle is marketed to the crowd that wants (to at least show they have) that capability and it is able right off the showroom floor. A company marketing an "Adventure vehicle" should come standard with a spare tire.

jimcgov3

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

What percentage of Porsche owners ever hit the Nurburgring? The vehicle is marketed to the crowd that wants (to at least show they have) that capability and it is able right off the showroom floor. A company marketing an "Adventure vehicle" should come standard with a spare tire.
Wild guess. 3%. I thankfully have driven the Nurburgring but not in my Porsche or in a Porsche for that matter but a Renault Megane RS 265. What an exhilarating experience. 7 laps cost more than my monthly mortgage payment...once-in-a-lifetime experience, but I digress...

To your point, Porsche isn't sending every Porsche owner to Germany to run the Green Hell nor do they give them a spare. Nearly 1/3 of all new cars don't have a spare tire. https://southernmarylandchronicle.c...-get-caught-without-a-spare-tire-this-winter/

Last edited:

bowhunter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE
Clubs

You obviously have never owned an EV. I have never seen an EV that came with a spare. Most don't even have places for them. Thankfully Rivian does but if you want it, you gotta cough up the cash.
I would say the fact that this is an "adventure" EV puts it in a category where it would be expected. I average a couple flats a year in my travels off the beaten path and am disappointed that it isn't standard.

kylealden

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Tesla Model Y, Zero DSR/X, '69 CJ5
Occupation
Product Management
This means that you're only going to replenish approximately 2.68 - 2.84 miles of range per hour charging on a 120V circuit. It would take you a little over 14 hours to replenish a 40 mile daily commute.

If that works for you, then great. I doubt that is sustainable for most people, however.

To put that into perspective, if you installed the Rivian (or equivalent) L2 EVSE you'd replenish 40 miles of range in approximately 100-105 minutes.
Yep, I know the math - I just think as a community we should be careful about implying a L2 charger is mandatory in every case. It absolutely isn't.

The average driver in the US only drives around 30 miles per day - even in a Rivian, you can probably catch up on that in <12 hours on L1 charging. Even if you're only able to recoup half your commute with home charging, you could easily "catch up" with an L3 charge on a weekend now and then and be fine.

It's not the best case scenario, sure, but an EVSE can be a tricky install in some homes and the math doesn't always pan out; for folks with shorter commutes or more flexibility, it's sometimes worth skipping; in my case, the several thousand dollars to upgrade my home service, replace the panel, and run a bunch of conduit to the garage is a poor tradeoff versus the occasional weekend supercharge. If you have room in your panel and a less tricky run to the garage, by all means, go for it!

(Buying a second EV is probably going to be the straw that breaks the camel's back for me, since I don't have a circuit that can take that much additional load.)

Sponsored

jimcgov3

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

I would say the fact that this is an "adventure" EV puts it in a category where it would be expected. I average a couple flats a year in my travels off the beaten path and am disappointed that it isn't standard.
I am not saying it is right or wrong...I am saying that that is what it is. If you want a spare and you are not in a state where it is required by law, you're going to have to pay for it.

MReda

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi S4, Lexus LX470
I am not saying it is right or wrong...I am saying that that is what it is. If you want a spare and you are not in a state where it is required by law, you're going to have to pay for it.
I'm just glad it is an option and they gave us a place for it....

jimcgov3

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

I'm just glad it is an option and they gave us a place for it....
Exactly. Like I said earlier. There is a place for it. All of these EVs and other cars that do NOT have spares included do NOT have places for them even if you wanted to buy a spare...You would have to leave it in the trunk or frunk if it is big enough...just flopping around all willy-nilly.

Silver9k

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
19' CX-5 D, 16' Mazda3, 07 S2000
Would be curious on factory pricing for PPF, obviously Rivian does a great job with the vinyl wraps. Having PPF from the factory would be nice if the price was comparable. Though I wouldn't expect this option for a while as it would slow deliveries.

Any rumblings on sliders? Or is the off-road underbody armor supposed to be enough? Having sliders that can be replaced is more comforting IMO.

GMK83

First Name
Guerin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S (preorder)
Usually PPF is done in combination with paint correction. I doubt Rivian would do this as it would drastically slow down deliveries. Would be a cool offering though.

Sponsored

Eeyore

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE, ID.4 Pro S, Civic, EX-L, Honda Fit
Occupation
Union Journeyman Electrician, foreman
Clubs

If the cross bars are expensive enough, I'll just buy a TIG welder and make my own. I've been wanting one anyway to wld aluminum. Using a spool gun with my MIG welder isn't for me.

As for a spare tire, I do want one, but I want the least expensive option possible.

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
If the cross bars are expensive enough, I'll just buy a TIG welder and make my own. I've been wanting one anyway to wld aluminum. Using a spool gun with my MIG welder isn't for me.

As for a spare tire, I do want one, but I want the least expensive option possible.
If the price seems high check with your guide because it probably comes as a kit with storage tie downs jack and lug wrench.

not sure what the price is but wanted to mention that.

davrow_R1T

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2 Toyota Siennas
If the price seems high check with your guide because it probably comes as a kit with storage tie downs jack and lug wrench.

not sure what the price is but wanted to mention that.
No idea what Rivian will do, but my last EV came with the jack and lug wrench even though it did not come with a spare. Just FYI.

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
No idea what Rivian will do, but my last EV came with the jack and lug wrench even though it did not come with a spare. Just FYI.
I was referring to most cars now that do not have a spare also do not have the jack or tire iron either. This is for ICE or EV.

As I mentioned it would be best to talk to your guide.

Tesla Model S does not have either.

fromawayfarm

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Forester, Kona EV
I originally heard the T-shirt was going to come with two arm holes and a head hole. It has been updated to have only one arm hole as the cost to manufacture was too expensive. CS said more information was coming.
If I pay an arm and a leg for the optional camp kitchen, is this really a problem?
Sponsored