Sponsored

Out of Spec's Kyle gets over 450 miles from a new Porsche Taycan prototype

MountainBikeDude

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 El Cap Quad Motor R1T (Selling the Xterra)
Clubs

I watched the video this morning. Honestly impressive what Porsche has managed with their EV's.

I managed to get 6.44km/kWh on my way home in my R1T after watching the video. It was all downhill, in conserve, in the city, no HVAC running. šŸ˜‰

So technically I achieved 837km/520miles of range w/20" tires

Denver_Paulie

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Porsche Taycan CT4s, '23 Rivian R1T
The crazy part is Car and Driver charged from 8-80% in 16 minutes and another magazine did 10-80% in 14 minutes.

The new Taycan will be the king of charging.

The Taycan is already the king of charging.

I am in the middle of a 2,500 mile road trip in my 2022 Taycan Cross Turismo 4s and I have been hitting initial 260kW speeds ups to 50% or 55% battery levels on most of the Electrify America chargers I have hit in Colorado, Kansas, Oklahoma, and Texas.

I have been charging from 10% to 75% or 80% in fifteen minutes in most of my stops on this road trip. That is more than enough to get me the next 150 miles to the next charger.

I love both my Taycan and my R1T, but it would be incredible if the R1T had 800v charging capability like the Porsche.

Jumacao

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T PDM MP CY, Tesla Model Y, Energica Eva
Occupation
Legal
I'd be more impressed if this were 1950 and 55mph was actually the speed anyone went on the highway. Nice try with the "this is the maximum speed limit for trucks" excuse though, Kyle.

That being said, this will absolutely be at the top of my list for a weekend EV.

DuoRivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T and an R1S
Occupation
IT
Why would he? His income increases with length of videos.
He doesnā€™t care about video income - he has other sources of income (trust fund).

Sponsored

JWreck

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S (pre-ordered, Audi RS5 Sportback
Occupation
IT
The Taycan is already the king of charging.

I am in the middle of a 2,500 mile road trip in my 2022 Taycan Cross Turismo 4s and I have been hitting initial 260kW speeds ups to 50% or 55% battery levels on most of the Electrify America chargers I have hit in Colorado, Kansas, Oklahoma, and Texas.

I have been charging from 10% to 75% or 80% in fifteen minutes in most of my stops on this road trip. That is more than enough to get me the next 150 miles to the next charger.

I love both my Taycan and my R1T, but it would be incredible if the R1T had 800v charging capability like the Porsche.
Yep - on my frequent trips from Austin to Dallas in the Tesla Y Performance I stopped in Waco to charge, every time, without question.

In the Taycan (4S CT as well), I rip it all the way to Dallas and charge when I get there. Not only because Porsche knows how to properly estimate their range but also because I know once Iā€™m there, itā€™ll take 15 min from 10% to charge back to 80. Quick stop into Samā€™s Club for a bio break and drink and Iā€™m off.

Meanwhile with the giant battery and comparatively slow charging in the R1S, we practically bring board games to pass the time.

vandy1981

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S PDM MP, 2019 Jaguar I-Pace HSE
His average speed was 50-55 mph. This was not his typical 70 mph range test.

Lawrence-of-Blaine

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A6, GMC Envoy, Nissan 350Z
Occupation
Photographer/Artist
Clubs

Shorter 7 minute Edmunds test of the 2025 Taycan 4S prototype below.

Extrapolated 106 kwh battery, superfast charge 6% SOC to 82% SOC in just over 20 minutes, 335 miles range at average 55mph combined driving. Peak charging rate of 332 kw. Lowest suspension setting and no or low regen.

Driving any Porsche at 55 for hours on end would be the most life-sucking, stress-inducing, joy-killing thing, a guy could ever do.

moosehead

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ā€˜22 Ioniq 5, ā€˜78 Jeep Wagoneer
Driving any Porsche at 55 for hours on end would be the most life-sucking, stress-inducing, joy-killing thing, a guy could ever do.
Thatā€™s pretty much standard LA to San Diego, which is the route of this particular range test.

Sponsored

manitou202

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Ioniq 5, Lucid Air Touring
Here is the charging curve for the new Taycan.

If Rivian could do something similar, it would take about 20 minutes to go from 10%-80% with the Large Pack.

This is seriously impressive speeds. Nothing else on the market is even close.

Rivian R1T R1S Out of Spec's Kyle gets over 450 miles from a new Porsche Taycan prototype IMG_6666.JPG

HaveBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S DMP Max, Lifted GX470, APR Audi A7, BMW 325Ci
Clubs

Yea but according to Kyle's video, you have to stop at 4 stations to charge in 15 minutes or wait at a 2 hour line at a broken EA station.

lefkonj

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A7/Q3 R1S ordered
Clubs

Really amazing. This looks to be very promising for the VW group. When these techs filter down to the Jetta EV it will sell really well.

Bob Steele

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Porsche Taycan, 2022 Defender, 2020 Defender
Occupation
Architect
My first EV was a 2023 Porsche Taycan purchased in the summer of 2022. It is a beast. While I can't match Kyle's numbers, I regularly charge 10 - 80% comfortably under 20 minutes. Porsche is the reason I purchased my R1T a year later. While my R1T takes considerably longer to charge, there is no doubt it is a beast of a different sort. Many of my friends have purchased Rivian's after driving in mine, though I can't say the same for the Taycan. Imagine?

mkg3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Unagi, Radio Flyer and Kette Car
Clubs

Sounds like Porsche made major internal updates. Here's a short story from Electrek about it. The results gives lot of hope for the 718 EV to have a decent range and keep the weight down (below 4k lbs).

"In initial tests, the new Porsche Taycan showed impressive driving range of up to 365 miles (587 km). Although these were pre-series models, the upgraded EV drove over 100 miles more than the current model.

New Porsche Taycan test drives up to 365 miles
These are not official ratings, but Porsche claims ā€œthe extensively updated Taycanā€ offers more range and quicker charging.

ā€œFor the particularly efficient Taycan sports saloon with the large battery, this practical, final test resulted in a total range of up to 587 kilometers,ā€ VP of the model line Kevin Giek explained.

He said the initial range test in Southern California ā€œimpressively demonstrated how efficient the reworked Taycan is.ā€ Porsche continues working on its ā€œfast travelā€ strategy, including shorter charging stops and longer real-world range.

The range tests took place on everyday Cali conditions on Interstate Highway 405 and 5. The new models were fitted with Porscheā€™s larger Performance Battery Plus. Max drive speed was 75 mph.

Charging took place at an Electrify America station in Torrance. The new Taycan displayed over 300 kW charging for several minutes and was able to charge from 10% to 80% in well under 20 minutes."

https://electrek.co/2024/02/02/new-porsche-taycan-ev-longer-range-faster-charging/
Sponsored