Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

not sure it matters, but I never really got updates very often or soon until my truck was allowed access to our home WiFi. I think Rivian allows those vehicles with WiFi priority vs those without WiFi as to save bandwidth of their own “free” network. And understand why as it is a huge update and lot of data to download. But maybe you have WiFi access setup on your truck and are just unlucky.
I've got two vehicles. They rarely get the update at the same time. Some times over a week between them. Sometimes the R1S gets the update first, usually the R1T though. Both are on my home wifi.
Sponsored

Belem

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T Adventure, 1986 Mercedes 190E 2.3-16
Haven't gotten mine yet, either, but I did notice a large download on Wednesday.

I was affected by the "Focus Mode Bug" (lost my screens in the last update (update before? Can't remember)) so I'm thinking I'm on a delay to make sure I'm not affected on some future updates. I used to get updates near the first batch.

Really could have used the automatic pre-conditioning this morning, though.

NY_Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Model 3 LR AWD, 2017 BMW i3 REX, 2023 R1T
Occupation
IT
First drive on 2023.50.1 this morning...

The throttle mapping in reverse is better than it was, but they still have some work to do. Try backing up your Rivian exactly 1" and no more.

Jabbahop

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘14 BMW i3, ‘19 BMW i3, ‘22 R1T -> ‘24 R1S Max
Occupation
retired
On the 50.1 update on my r1t, I just tried warming the cabin feature with the app vs scheduled climate as I wasn;t sure it would also pre-condition the battery. It does.

I had it on the charger and pre-conditioning via the app (20 degrees outside) for about 50 minutes. Cabin was warm as expected but also the battery had gone from around 20 degrees to 54 and the motors were warm (I assume from generating the heat).

Rivian R1T R1S OTA 2023.50.01 Software is Out! (w/ departure & preconditioning scheduling)! IMG_2727

Bristlecone

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo XC40 Recharge, Toyota 4Runner
Occupation
Retired (newspaper reporter)
Clubs

well according to Electrafi website - yesterday (pre update) my Phantom battery drain was 6.84 miles. Today (after update) my Phantom drain was 0 miles. Both nights it was sitting outside in high teens. I am very excited!
That is great to hear. My S is coming this month and about every other weekend it will be outside while we snowshoe into our cabin — at 11,000 feet elevation, so plenty cold. I wonder why Rivian isn’t bragging about conquering the phantom?

Sponsored

Jabbahop

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘14 BMW i3, ‘19 BMW i3, ‘22 R1T -> ‘24 R1S Max
Occupation
retired
hopefully it isn’t a one night thing.

tate16t

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 El Cap Granite R1S
Occupation
Cyber Security
I updated my R1S last night. Also, immediately after I charged up. Proximity and Gear Guard is off. So far I have lost 2% battery and all I did was back out of my driveway to allow my wife to pull in. I did notice a difference in the throttle response. Prior to the update there appeared to be dead space when initially pressing the pedal. That seems to be gone now but I will do more driving later this evening.

Last edited:

Chris T

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
High Tech
Clubs

I got the 50.1 updated 3 days ago, and these last 2 mornings when I've pre-heated the interior it smells like hot electrical smell and the heat is only running on low fan, 1 dot. It used to be on HIGH. Anyone else had this issue?

praneeth91

First Name
Praneeth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Engineer
Installed the update yesterday and went on my first drive today.

Impressions:
1. Noticeable improvement to the throttle response. It definitely rides much more smooth now esp cornering and driving at low speeds. Reverse improved but not as much noticeable

2. Scheduled departure works as intended and it also pre conditions which will definitely help with the battery health. The passthrough when plugged in to charger is a great bonus!

3. Assistive Regen also makes it a more reliable and consistent drive. Great improvement esp for people living in snowy and hilly areas.

4. Vampire drain testing not done yet. If at all it lives up to what people claim, this would be one of the best updates to come out.

Even though it lacks any fancy features which are in pipeline, it makes it one of the best updates wrt to quality of life improvement. Great work software team!!

moosetags

First Name
SuEllyn & Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T; 2020 Chevy Duramax; 1956 Ford Tbird
Occupation
Retired
Clubs

We got the update notice two days ago. We installed it this morning. It completed installation in a little over an hour. Opal's app is now showing version 2023.50.01. All is well.

Brian

Sponsored

nitsy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Clubs

Haven't gotten mine yet, either, but I did notice a large download on Wednesday.

I was affected by the "Focus Mode Bug" (lost my screens in the last update (update before? Can't remember)) so I'm thinking I'm on a delay to make sure I'm not affected on some future updates. I used to get updates near the first batch.

Really could have used the automatic pre-conditioning this morning, though.
But here's the thing - One can still pre-condition the vehicle manually through the phone app. You could have done this 5 - 10 mins before you left. :)

I still plan to do this manually as I do not have a specific schedule for my day-to-day activities, so this automatic pre-conditioning is not something that I'm excited for.

Belem

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T Adventure, 1986 Mercedes 190E 2.3-16
But here's the thing - One can still pre-condition the vehicle manually through the phone app. You could have done this 5 - 10 mins before you left. :)

I still plan to do this manually as I do not have a specific schedule for my day-to-day activities, so this automatic pre-conditioning is not something that I'm excited for.
Oh no, I did. But I wanted to play with the new features because I'm a child.

Zoidz

First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 R1S Adv, Avalanche, BMWs-X3,330cic,K1200RS bike
Occupation
Engineer
No, I'm not wrong, and you're incapable of reading comprehension, I guess. Just because the designed the turn signal sound to be special doesn't mean it's a high quality recording.

There is static that you can distinctly hear, coming from the speaker, in between the thumps of the turn signal. It only exists when the turn signals are it. It is coming from the turn signal recording. It sounds like something playing at 100% volume and compression artifacts are showing, or a low quality recording. No other way to describe it, that's exactly what it sounds like.
While you may be right, there are other possible sources. We do not know how the turn signal audio is reproduced in the vehicle. Depending on how the turn signal audio gets played back, it could be playback DAC or preamp hiss, not hiss in the original recording. We really don’t know for certain.

davidrbailey

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Clubs

While you may be right, there are other possible sources. We do not know how the turn signal audio is reproduced in the vehicle. Depending on how the turn signal audio gets played back, it could be playback DAC or preamp hiss, not hiss in the original recording. We really don’t know for certain.
The description of the turn-signal static seems similar to other people's descriptions of the effect that 3D Surround Sound has on music, especially in the Enhanced setting. Maybe that's the culprit, it's all going through the same speaker system. My aging ears won't be much of a testbed for this theory though!
Sponsored