Sponsored
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1T, 2003 Nissan 350Z
Clubs

Took @viv.the.riv to Thursday Night Street Drags at Madison International Speedway in Oregon WI!

Model S was modified, using launch mode, on racing wheels/tires & pulling low 2s (reported 1.8s) 0-60 and frequent visitor to the track.

R1T one month old, first drag experience, on stock 21s, launched normally in Sport mode, mid stability control and ultra low. I definitely felt a slight bit of launch lag, so will be playing around with different launch techniques for future races.

R1T held up great in open competition, losing only to the Model S Plaid and a heavily modified Jeep Trackhawk on slicks!

We had so much fun, and the normally EV-ambivalent crowd there was very excited to cheer for my Rivian against the Tesla ;)

I'll post some drive cam footage too! And more @viv.the.riv on Instagram
Sponsored

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

I definitely felt a slight bit of launch lag, so will be playing around with different launch techniques for future races.
Not sure the lag is avoidable.

Race was a lot closer than it should be against a plaid. Guess they can't hook up on a non-prepped surface.

OP
OP
Vivian.A.Rivian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

Not sure the lag is avoidable.

Race was a lot closer than it should be against a plaid. Guess they can't hook up on a non-prepped surface.
yeah, pretty pleased with even keeping up as well as I did. thinking about getting a Dragy, since these are monthly drag nights in the summer, will probably go again, would be nice to have accurate times recorded.

They only let EVs race in an EV class and an Open class, but I want to race the 4WD diesel trucks too just for funzies.

Last edited:

NY_Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Model 3 LR AWD, 2017 BMW i3 REX, 2023 R1T
Occupation
IT
Cool!

I remember when EV's first started showing up at the tracks and the PA guy would say something like "Oh... on track 2 we have an RC car racing a xxx". Nowadays, they're not laughing at the EV's... most ICE heads avoid them for fear of being easily beaten by a 100% stock vehicle.

NY_Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Model 3 LR AWD, 2017 BMW i3 REX, 2023 R1T
Occupation
IT
Rivian's "launch mode" is stand on the brake, floor the accelerator, release brake.

Also the higher SOC the quicker launch (due to higher pack voltage).

Sponsored

OP
OP
Vivian.A.Rivian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

Cool!

I remember when EV's first started showing up at the tracks and the PA guy would say something like "Oh... on track 2 we have an RC car racing a xxx". Nowadays, they're not laughing at the EV's... most ICE heads avoid them for fear of being easily beaten by a 100% stock vehicle.
yeah overall everyone was really nice to me and excited to see one (not many Rivians around here yet) - lots of the usual jokes, but mostly people were excited to see me up against the Tesla. I couldn't really hear the PA guy, but folks were telling me that he was hyping up the Rivian too, getting the crowd to cheer for me. That Tesla owner said he has a Cybertruck on order, I hope hope hope he gets it, bc that would be a super fun race then!

There's also not very many ladies who race there either, so I was a novelty for sure. They have a "powder puff" bracket (oy, that needs a name change), but they wouldn't let an EV in it. That's ok though, an awesome old Firebird won that bracket, I wouldn't have wanted to beat her!

OP
OP
Vivian.A.Rivian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

Rivian's "launch mode" is stand on the brake, floor the accelerator, release brake.

Also the higher SOC the quicker launch (due to higher pack voltage).
Yeah I'm gonna try that off-track first, but that'll be my strategy going forward most likely. I also didn't fully remove traction control yet, just did reduced.

tbolts10

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Public Safety
I turn traction fully off, stand of the brake, floor the loud pedal (lol) and let it rip. I just wish the top speed limiter was higher so it could run the full 1/4 mile.

OP
OP
Vivian.A.Rivian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

I turn traction fully off, stand of the brake, floor the loud pedal (lol) and let it rip. I just wish the top speed limiter was higher so it could run the full 1/4 mile.
Gonna do this next time for sure! This is a short track, so it's only a 300' drag, but agreed about wishing the limiter was higher for longer runs!

Sponsored

Acoustic71

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo XC70; 2022 Rivian R1T
Occupation
Project Manager
Took @viv.the.riv to Thursday Night Street Drags at Madison International Speedway in Oregon WI!

Model S was modified, using launch mode, on racing wheels/tires & pulling low 2s (reported 1.8s) 0-60 and frequent visitor to the track.

R1T one month old, first drag experience, on stock 21s, launched normally in Sport mode, mid stability control and ultra low. I definitely felt a slight bit of launch lag, so will be playing around with different launch techniques for future races.

R1T held up great in open competition, losing only to the Model S Plaid and a heavily modified Jeep Trackhawk on slicks!

We had so much fun, and the normally EV-ambivalent crowd there was very excited to cheer for my Rivian against the Tesla ;)

I'll post some drive cam footage too! And more @viv.the.riv on Instagram
Now I know why I have so many dudes pulling up next to me in the right hand lane at stop lights wanting to race.

clcbjc123

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tahoe and Z07
That has to be the shittiest drag strip I’ve seen

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

That has to be the shittiest drag strip I’ve seen
Based on it taking about 5 seconds I'd say it's probably around 3/32nd mile.

Or maybe 300 feet
Rivian R1T R1S On-track: drag racing Rivian R1T vs Model S Plaid (modified) 1683924669993

OP
OP
Vivian.A.Rivian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

Or maybe 300 feet

Or maybe 300 feet
it's 300' - it's just a monthly little drag night that this local small town race track puts on. We ain't fancy in Wisco.... unless ya head up to Road America ;)
Sponsored