Sponsored

Off-Road Upgrade or Not?

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
Wow, that's way more than I was expecting, just doing a quick peruse on Amazon. I'd figured $200 seemed reasonable without having to buy any of the gear that was suspiciously inexpensive. I guess this just goes to show I have no idea, and don't even know the value of going with a reputable brand, or if they're really worth it or not. Guessing this is a whole can of worms I wasn't realizing I was opening!
The Rivian kit is very well picked. All Factor 55/Warn stuff. Which is NOT cheap.
Sponsored

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Corvair, BMW325, Acura Legend, XC60, '16 Caddy ELR
Clubs

I believe that's called a hitch. ;)
Oh yeah, there's that! Well, pretty clearly, I've never been a Truck Guy before. Now, don't let that confuse anyone into thinking I've never done stupid $#!T that didn't require help. Been there, done that! Sadly, I didn't have a hitch to help get my '63 Impala out of that snow bank on Mt. Hood when I was certain I could just blow through it by simply getting up to "Ramming Speed!" Luckily, my Dad never questioned why the back bumper looked a little less than symmetrical after we got home late that night.

Thanks for reminding me about that whole trailer hitchy thing. ?

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Corvair, BMW325, Acura Legend, XC60, '16 Caddy ELR
Clubs

Oh yeah, there's that! Well, pretty clearly, I've never been a Truck Guy before. Now, don't let that confuse anyone into thinking I've never done stupid $#!T that didn't require help. Been there, done that! Sadly, I didn't have a hitch to help get my '63 Impala out of that snow bank on Mt. Hood when I was certain I could just blow through it by simply getting up to "Ramming Speed!" Luckily, my Dad never questioned why the back bumper looked a little less than symmetrical after we got home late that night.

And I even have the Off-Road Recovery Kit in my Configurator. Talk about a brainfart!

PAFDenver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S, Baja
Occupation
retired
I was also on the fence about adding the underbody protection too. No rock crawling for me, but expect to see some rough roads camping. I expect it will usually be fine, but the cost if wrong is pretty high.
I asked Rivian whether the vehicles the customers drove at the adventure test track had the off road package. I think the rock field they drove would be a good representation of some of the worst roads I would drive on (although not as steep). If they didn't have the off road package there, I should be safe without it too. Customer Service didn't actually tell me whether the vehicles had the off road package, but they DID suggest that I get the package if I plan to drive roads like that.
So I am adding the off road package back. I don't expect to drive on rock fields like that, but the roads could have more ruts, grooves and holes. For the $2K, I don't want to risk it.

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)
Any word on the integrated winch??
It won't be available at launch, but should be available in 2022 & can be installed at a service center. I believe all of the factory bumpers will be "winch-ready".

Maybe DIY as well, but only time will tell.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Lmirafuente

Lmirafuente

First Name
Lionel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla, Audi Cabriolet
I'm in the same boat on this one. I doubt I will off-road much and I'm sure the extra weight will impact the range slightly. I'm thinking of getting it regardless just for the extra protection and the slight chance I do go down an unfavorable road (or get lost and find myself on one).
Ya...that was where I am at too!

Last edited:
OP
OP
Lmirafuente

Lmirafuente

First Name
Lionel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla, Audi Cabriolet
Honestly I don't know that it's a must-have. This is what the website says about the regular protection:
1630340051154.png

So yes, the off-road package is going to be more protection, but it sounds like it isn't necessary unless you plan to rock-crawl every weekend.

Another way to ask the question is, what wheels are you going with? If you have your eyes on the 21s or 22s, then you are probably completely fine without the off-road package.
That a great answer to fuel my inability to make a decision on 22's or 20's...I configured my R1S with 22"s and after Duck came back with his experience from the Normal test drive, I changed to 20"s.

I think I am waffling again...

OP
OP
Lmirafuente

Lmirafuente

First Name
Lionel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla, Audi Cabriolet
1630353726185.png

The Offroad recovery kit (which could most likely be sourced separately for a lot cheaper. $600? really?) has a d-ring shackle that's to be mounted on the hitch receiver.
I agree, it seems you can do better than that price option.

OP
OP
Lmirafuente

Lmirafuente

First Name
Lionel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla, Audi Cabriolet
Thanks for the responses!

Also worth noting...that even though Rivian took the Off-Road package off the Launch Edition, the cost of having it did not increase from the original promise of the Launch Edition config with the off-road package in it.

Unlike some other EV company will do ;).

So, Thank you RJ/Rivian!

sevengroove

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S Launch Edition
The extra $2k is more a peace of mind payment as far as I'm concerned, and that's totally a valid reason to get it too.
Maybe it's needed, maybe it'll never come in to play, but if it saves me once, I will be thankful I got it.
Yup, I think we agree on that - reading both our quotes above out of context, one could make the case that we are discussing insurance plans, which might not be far from the truth ? .

I look forward to Rivian sharing some dimensions on the standard vs. upgraded protection so our off-roading veterans could comment on the benefits for us newbies. For example, if the battery spans the majority of the undercarriage and is covered with the standard protection, what exactly is left unprotected? Bumpers? Axles? Are those areas prone to damage based on the type of off-roading happening?

Sponsored

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer

Hopefully you don't need to rely on your hitch like these folks did.
Rivian R1T R1S Off-Road Upgrade or Not? 1630363623094

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news...ed-from-truck-dangling-over-idaho-gorge-video

JeremyP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota 4runner, BMW I3, preordered R1S
Occupation
Engineer
It's hard to imagine how terrifying it would be hanging off the bridge like that, and how they managed to do that!

My ARB snatch strap and regular tow strap fit in a 2" hitch receiver and a hitch pin can be used to hold it in place if you don't have tow hooks or shackle mounts. Here's a picture to demonstrate, although I also have shackle mounts on my bumper.
Rivian R1T R1S Off-Road Upgrade or Not? 20210830_164212

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
It's hard to imagine how terrifying it would be hanging off the bridge like that, and how they managed to do that!

My ARB snatch strap and regular tow strap fit in a 2" hitch receiver and a hitch pin can be used to hold it in place if you don't have tow hooks or shackle mounts. Here's a picture to demonstrate, although I also have shackle mounts on my bumper.
20210830_164212.jpg
Yeah, I'm not sure how they went over, but they were super unlucky to even be on the bridge when they went over. The bridge is probably only about 100 feet long.

Party Mode

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla x2
Occupation
Sales
I also am on fence with the under body plate protection. I purchased metal cloak protection for my jeep rubicon undercarriage and it worth its weight in gold off roading. We can drop it on boulders and nothing happens to the Jeep. It cost about $1000. Front to back. I wish this package would also come with the integrated winch, then it would be a no brainer to purchase, but $2000 seems a little too steep to me.
Sponsored