Sponsored

Off Road Package now optional for Launch Edition (lowers price by $2k)

cohall

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T
It's because they removed off-road package.
Sponsored

LoneStar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 R1S Launch Ed.
Occupation
engineer
Clubs

WHAT! Motherfu... :angry:?

Gshenderson

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Tesla S 85D, 2019 4Runner TRD Offroad, R1T
You'll also save on that weight. The steel plates are prob heavy
Yeah, I noticed a disclaimer on the battery details indicating Offroad package could affect range.

cohall

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T
WHAT! Motherfu... :angry:?
Don't panic, it's just optional now. You can add it back on for the same $2k.

By making it optional, they can redo their EPA testing without the added weight of the package. They clearly missed their range targets with the off-road package included, and they've added language to website now saying that the package reduces range.

MisterTea

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW 745e
The tow hooks not only look cool but useful in case you run out of range and need your friend to give you a tow charge.
This is why I am adding it on. Plus I like the bumper look better with the hooks and would love to go offroading in the future.

Sponsored

LoneStar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 R1S Launch Ed.
Occupation
engineer
Clubs

Sorry folks... it's still pretty early on the west coast! Just woke up to a flood of stuff - which in the big scheme of things is exactly what we all prayed for - even if some is a tad disappointing but not alarming.

??

Notaevfan

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Suburban, Silverado 2500, E39 M5, e34 M5, E36 M3,
Occupation
Home Builder
Having a panel that covers the trailer hitch pretty much requires the front tow hooks. Having a convenient place to hook a strap to is handy in many situations around your property, on the trail, or any place that 4wd is handy. $2000 is expensive for hooks and a skid plate but so be it, I added it back in.

kanundrum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Giulia QV, R1S (S00N)
Occupation
IT
Clubs

Don't panic, it's just optional now. You can add it back on for the same $2k.

By making it optional, they can redo their EPA testing without the added weight of the package. They clearly missed their range targets with the off-road package included, and they've added language to website now saying that the package reduces range.

It would be nice to know what that difference is if its truely the case, and by your logic it most certainly seems to be.

I couldnt imagine tow hooks and a flat body underpanel despite maybe 200lbs more or something along those lines would impact range that much as the aero should be undisturbed due to flat panel.

cohall

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T
It would be nice to know what that difference is if its truely the case, and by your logic it most certainly seems to be.

I couldnt imagine tow hooks and a flat body underpanel despite maybe 200lbs more or something along those lines would impact range that much as the aero should be undisturbed due to flat panel.
Agreed, it's probably not much. But if it dropped them from say 301 to 294, that's a big deal from a marketing and optics perspective.

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
Agreed, it's probably not much. But if it dropped them from say 301 to 294, that's a big deal from a marketing and optics perspective.
Not sure why you immediately jump to the conclusion that making the package optional on LE/Adventure packages is because they fell short of their range estimates. It's also a big deal to be able to lower the price by $2k for those that don't really need the protection. And with the EV truck market heating up, they may be looking to be more price competitive. Let's also not forget the implications for the proposed EV tax incentives. Making this optional may help some customers take advantage of the restructured incentives (depending on when/if anything changes).

Sponsored

Babbuino

First Name
Manuel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A3
Occupation
DESIGN engineer
Yeah, I noticed a disclaimer on the battery details indicating Offroad package could affect range.
I just tried chatting with the CS and no info on the weight yet. However I did ask of she has seen the Launch green in person, and she said yes and that it looks a bit better in her opinion than the forest green. The color is closer to an army green.

n8dgr8

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, Volvo XC 90
Occupation
Engineer
Are we sure they didn’t raise the price by making the skid plates optional? I can’t find a receipt and didn’t take a screen capture.

Friscorays

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
G35, V8 Vantage, 4C, F type
Bummer about March 1, 2022.

Last edited:

Atlrivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grand Cherokee, XC90
Clubs

This is why I am adding it on. Plus I like the bumper look better with the hooks and would love to go offroading in the future.
If y'all are describing towing a R1T/S behind something to charge it, I hate to burst your bubble but that isn't possible. Search the forums for a much longer and more thorough explanation than I can provide. Keywords "tow charging" or "flat towing."

cohall

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T
If y'all are describing towing a R1T/S behind something to charge it, I hate to burst your bubble but that isn't possible. Search the forums for a much longer and more thorough explanation than I can provide. Keywords "tow charging" or "flat towing."
They have stated that short periods of tow charging IS possible. But that flat-towing for long periods is not possible.
Sponsored