Sponsored

Off Road Package now optional for Launch Edition (lowers price by $2k)

OP
OP

BuckeyeTruckGuy

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mini Cooper Clubman S All4; R1T Reservation
If y'all are describing towing a R1T/S behind something to charge it, I hate to burst your bubble but that isn't possible. Search the forums for a much longer and more thorough explanation than I can provide. Keywords "tow charging" or "flat towing."
Ok, bubble has been bursted. However, how do you explain Long Way Up, Episode 4(The Andes) from 16:50 - 18:22? Was that movie magic or was VIN 1 and VIN 2 equipped with special motors?
Sponsored

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
Ok, bubble has been bursted. However, how do you explain Long Way Up, Episode 4(The Andes) from 16:50 - 18:22? Was that movie magic or was VIN 1 and VIN 2 equipped with special motors?
Rivian has said that tow-charging is supported.... But you can tow the vehicle only long enough to build up to a certain charge level.

What people are mad about is they mis-understood this to mean they could "flat tow" the R1 behind an RV, indefinitely -- which is not true.

So, yes, you can tow charge. The point of this is to add range and be able to get to safety.

No, you can't flat-tow a vehicle for 3k miles at a time.

McRat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 R1T, MXLR+, 2xVolts, MC's
Occupation
Tinkerer
Thoughts:
  • The acceleration performance numbers and cargo capacity numbers are perhaps more likely reasons to shed weight than EPA range. EPA range can be 'gamed' easily, see Tesla for advice.
  • Ford has released pricing that is likely to harm R1T sales.

OP
OP

BuckeyeTruckGuy

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mini Cooper Clubman S All4; R1T Reservation
Rivian has said that tow-charging is supported.... But you can tow the vehicle only long enough to build up to a certain charge level.

What people are mad about is they mis-understood this to mean they could "flat tow" the R1 behind an RV, indefinitely -- which is not true.

So, yes, you can tow charge. The point of this is to add range and be able to get to safety.

Perfect. That is all I ever see needing in case I lose all power. The chances of getting stranded on the road in OH is likely greater than that of other states like CA.

timf

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Clubs

The practical uses for tow charging seem limited. If someone can flat tow you far enough to get a usable charge, they might as well just tow you all the way to the nearest charger.

Sponsored

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
The practical uses for tow charging seem limited. If someone can flat tow you far enough to get a usable charge, they might as well just tow you all the way to the nearest charger.
I agree. It was more of a gimmick, imo.

TAZ

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE
I'd also guess this is related to the Clean Energy for America bill that limits tax credits to vehicles with a retail price below $80,000 to qualify for the tax credits. Rivian is providing more options to spec below this limit.
Sponsored