First Name
Barnum
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 GW Quad-Large R1T "Ghost"
Occupation
Advertising Circus
There are and have been Chinese made social media apps, smartphones, computers, batteries and car parts in the US already for many years. I’m skeptical of the security claim. I believe this is more about protecting US automakers, oil producers and autoworkers union (who has endorsed Biden).
Sponsored

DuoRivians

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, MY
While I do believe that global geopolitical adversaries having unfettered access to the driving habits of Americans is indeed a threat, I also believe that they have less direct but equally valuable information already.

So - threat? Totally.

Ban? Welp - that’s a tougher call.

Cheaper cars for everyone and accelerating the decarbonization of the economy? That’s a great thing.
I’d rather have fewer people and carbonization than non-market priced, Chinese channel-stuffed products everywhere

UnsungZero_OldTimeAdMan

First Name
Barnum
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 GW Quad-Large R1T "Ghost"
Occupation
Advertising Circus
Chinese cars are already here, disguised as Buick, Lincoln, Polestar.
Only Chinese made Volvo on offer in the US is the 35k EX30. And it isn’t available yet. Polestar 3 is being built on n South Carolina.

DuoRivians

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, MY
There are and have been Chinese made social media apps, smartphones, computers, batteries and car parts in the US already for many years. I’m skeptical of the security claim. I believe this is more about protecting US automakers, oil producers and autoworkers union (who has endorsed Biden).
Raw materials and components are one thing.

Sponsored

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Don't worry Biden, I have parked my chinese produced vehicle at the end of my driveway.

kurtlikevonnegut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T QM, Honda Odyssey
Clubs

Those social media apps are a massive security risk, are banned from government phones, and are likely to be banned from all US phones. Smartphones made by Chinese companies like Huawei are already banned from the US for good reason as well.

People should understand that China does not have the same "live and let live" philosophy towards the US as the US has towards most of the world. Global influence for China is a zero-sum game.

Sponsored

sdemeester

First Name
Steeve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
infitnity
Occupation
physician
The EV threat is likely real since China has apparently banned all US Teslas from getting near sensitive areas in China. The fact that they have taken this step implies to me they are already using EVs to spy on sensitive sites in the U.S. China steals every secret they can in any way they can, and are not partners in any way with us. We need find ways to change their ideas about technology theft or stop buying from them IMO.

usulio

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Clubs

The difference is, an American company (or European) has to follow privacy act laws and can be punished under US Code for violations of privacy. The US government has no similar enforcement mechanism with companies that are headquarted in China.
Sure, if the US had any decent privacy laws ... as it is, your location is up for sale.

I agree with above that smartphones are even worse than cars (but both are bad).

R.I.P.

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Y, Cadillac ELR, Rivian R1T, Jeep TJ, F250
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Buy American.

VSG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE/RB/OC/20
Some of us are old enough to remember the "Japanese Car Invasion" of the 70s that disrupted the industry and resulted in massive layoffs and car manufacturers going out of business or filing for bankruptcy.
Some of us are old enough to remember how bad US cars were at that time, and how much the competition greatly raised the standard and improved all vehicles. In the post-gas-crisis era, US car makers continued to make big inefficient vehicles while imports were in general smaller and far more fuel efficient and much better made.

This was a failure of US manufacturing to adapt, just like we are seeing today with EVs. US car manufacturing is failing, on the whole, to give us the best products - in part *because* US manufacturers have been protected. Even though the US, eventually, adopted many of the manufacturing innovations developed by the Japanese back then, it's a shame they still haven't learned more from that period in history.

The difference is, an American company (or European) has to follow privacy act laws and can be punished under US Code for violations of privacy. The US government has no similar enforcement mechanism with companies that are headquarted in China.
Those social media apps are a massive security risk, are banned from government phones, and are likely to be banned from all US phones. Smartphones made by Chinese companies like Huawei are already banned from the US for good reason as well.
Turn it around - if you lived anywhere but the US you would realize how much hardware and software and data storage is based in the US. And MOST of those social media apps (you know, the "massive security risks") are US companies with US-based data storage. If you think the US government doesn't have access to that data then you're very naive, because this access is part of OUR laws. I have worked in places that had to respond to these data "requests" from the US government, and those places were and are forbidden from disclosing details about these requests, so maybe you're not aware of how massive this data collection by the US government is. And when that data is transmitted into or out of our country, it doesn't have the same protections and is largely fair game. You complain about the Chinese government being able to access things like TikTok data, yet the US government has access to all the US-based app data whenever it wants and under the slimmest of pretexts. The US is a far greater threat to the rest of the world in context.

And as far as privacy laws, the EU has much stronger privacy laws than us and they struggle to get US companies like Google and Facebook and Microsoft and Apple to comply, the same way you say the US doesn't have leverage in China. It's pretty hypocritical to complain about "China" in these matters without also calling out the US for doing the exact same things.

People should understand that China does not have the same "live and let live" philosophy towards the US as the US has towards most of the world. Global influence for China is a zero-sum game.
The large part of the world would laugh and shake their heads at your characterization of US policy towards the rest of the world as "live and let live".

Last edited: