Sponsored

GaryL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Silverado 3500
Occupation
Farm
I chatted with customer service. The Launch edition folks should be first to get invites, then it goes by order date and a few other things. Whether you are T or S doesn't matter, you could be invited.
They did not prioritize LE holders for the Normal Event.
Sponsored

Chots19

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan, Toyota
Below is directly from CS member through email this morning when I asked about the NYC drive event. I assume that all of the invitations have already gone out.

.....Thanks so much for being a member of our preorder community over the years! We’re thrilled to have you along for the ride to more sustainable adventures.

I can’t imagine how excited you are to get behind the wheel and we also can’t wait for you to get there. The First Mile event in New York is mobile drives (meaning your drive coach comes to you) and invitations were based on delivery address proximity to the event. This is just one of the first opportunities to demo drive a vehicle and we'll continue to invite preorder holders to get hands-on.

We hope to see you face to face soon! What are you most excited to experience in person?

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
well that answers my question about where they were going to find space in NYC for an event similar to Normal.

Max

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Truck
Does anyone know what this magic radius is? 50, 100 200 miles?

Jarico75

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Tesla Model Y, Camry Hybrid
Clubs

Does anyone know what this magic radius is? 50, 100 200 miles?
My guess is it is based off of population density of people signed up for the event. If they have slated 5 days for the event and timeslots allow for 800 test drives then they expand out until they get approximately 800 people.

These are all made up numbers.

Sponsored

IslanderJSF

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
I guess I am one of the lucky ones. Received my invite 7AM this morning. I am an R1S LE reservation, Feb. 2020 and live on Long Island (Nassau Cty). There were only 4 days available for me to choose from, all middle of week, middle of day, but I'll make that work. They also asked for an address so I guess this test drive is coming to my house. A little disappointed as that means I will only see one truck, 1 color, 1 interior but I will gladly take it. Once they drive out to Long Island in NY traffic they may think twice about coming to me again. Looking forward to seeing a Rivian in person for the first time pull into my driveway.

dleewla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian, Toyota, Lexus
Clubs

From what I’ve read, the whole thing travels.

Looks like NY will close out October, then they’re off to California for November.
Thats pretty much what they said on the website a while ago. I've quoted the page down below: but basically LA, SF, NY to start. Normal, IL was not pre-announced but makes sense they started it there. Pilot run for them close HQ so they can work out the kinks. LA, SF, NY are locations service centers are ready to go (hubs now too, at least in LA). I don't recall where the other ones are ready but I know Bellevue, WA service center has been up and running for a while so I'm pretty sure that location will be in the next wave of First Mile events.

"We're kicking off our drive program in September — we can’t wait for you to get behind the wheel to experience the performance and handling of driving a Rivian. The first cities we’ll visit include Los Angeles, San Francisco, and New York, with more announced soon."

source: https://stories.rivian.com/deliveries-drivetour-accessories

Cale

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 RS1 Launch Ed., '09 C4S, '05 Elise, SRF Gen 3
Occupation
Chief Medical Officer Formula One Vegas and Formula E Portland
I live in North Jersey about 30 minutes from the city. No invite. R1S pre order 9/2019. And my ’07 MDX with 206k gave up the ghost this week. I don’t feel the love from Rivian. Just another email telling about guides by Thanksgiving and delivery by spring of ‘22.

Max

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Truck
I live in North Jersey about 30 minutes from the city. No invite. R1S pre order 9/2019. And my ’07 MDX with 206k gave up the ghost this week. I don’t feel the love from Rivian. Just another email telling about guides by Thanksgiving and delivery by spring of ‘22.
You may still get one. You never know.

If Rivian does produce an R1 every 6 minutes as I heard they are shooting for with two shifts, they should be able to get everyone by end of next year. Of course how close reality is to intention remains to be seen.

I wonder how many people with multiple reservations will drop out because Ford give them an earlier delivery date. The rumors say they will open up the orders this month. That could help Rivian reservation holders that stick around.

Last edited:

Sponsored

DB-EV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1s
They did not prioritize LE holders for the Normal Event.
I guess I am one of the lucky ones. Received my invite 7AM this morning. I am an R1S LE reservation, Feb. 2020 and live on Long Island (Nassau Cty). There were only 4 days available for me to choose from, all middle of week, middle of day, but I'll make that work. They also asked for an address so I guess this test drive is coming to my house. A little disappointed as that means I will only see one truck, 1 color, 1 interior but I will gladly take it. Once they drive out to Long Island in NY traffic they may think twice about coming to me again. Looking forward to seeing a Rivian in person for the first time pull into my driveway.
Awesome - we are neighbors. Got same email. I think I got same email; also R1s LE, May 2019. Do you ski : )

RivianXpress

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Sprinter, TE300i, R1250GSA, KTM 500, 790
Occupation
Retired Engineer
You may still get one. You never know.

If Rivian does produce an R1 every 6 minutes as I heard they are shooting for with two shifts, they should be able to get everyone by end of next year. Of course how close reality is to intention remains to be seen.

I wonder how many people with multiple reservations will drop out because Ford give them an earlier delivery date. The rumors say they will open up the orders this month. That could help Rivian reservation holders that stick around.
Darren Palmer from Ford said deliveries won’t be till mid 2022. So there’s that. Being a first day reservation holder I’m not holding my breath on seeing the F150 till late summer.

Max

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Truck
Darren Palmer from Ford said deliveries won’t be till mid 2022. So there’s that. Being a first day reservation holder I’m not holding my breath on seeing the F150 till late summer.
That sounds right and I am not sure if everyone can start their order this month or they go in sequence. I am a first day too but made the reservation right after the reveal so 20K down the line. But I am at the end of the line with Rivian.

I though I would never consider a Ford (no offense to loyalists) but Pro may be the only deal in town. With $30K less than Rivian it is hard not to consider. Pro meet my needs, Rivian meets my wants. The battle between heart and mind can get ugly if the dates are close. If Rivian give me a delivery date sooner, heart will win. We will see.

So what will you do if your number for both of them comes up at the same time?

RivianXpress

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Sprinter, TE300i, R1250GSA, KTM 500, 790
Occupation
Retired Engineer
That sounds right and I am not sure if everyone can start their order this month or they go in sequence. I am a first day too but made the reservation right after the reveal so 20K down the line. But I am at the end of the line with Rivian.

I though I would never consider a Ford (no offense to loyalists) but Pro may be the only deal in town. With $30K less than Rivian it is hard not to consider. Pro meet my needs, Rivian meets my wants. The battle between heart and mind can get ugly if the dates are close. If Rivian give me a delivery date sooner, heart will win. We will see.

So what will you do if your number for both of them comes up at the same time?
The Ford is too big for me and the 230 mile battery for $30k less won’t work for me either.
I fully expect to get my Rivian LE long before my F150 arrives. My current used Model 3 keeps increasing in value so I guess I’m not as annoyed as others with the delay.

Reactions: Max

Hopper

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Launch Green R1T, 2022 Polaris Ranger NorthStar
Occupation
Retired Executive and technical writer. Board of Directors Fly Fishers International.
I am in NY, about 150 miles from Brooklyn and about 100 miles from the Westchester County event. I made my R1T reservation in February of 2019. I expressed my interest and willingness to attend, but was told there is no room for additional invitations.
Sponsored

Last edited: